Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just bought a 2015 (new) PMC cargo van. There are no windows on the sliding side doors, but I would like to add them. Has anyone done this? If so, how difficult was it? The link below shows the parts diagram from the Mopar website. It seems to indicate there are only a few pieces of related hardware with the glass. The dealer was no help. They said the side window is not available to them as an aftermarket "accessory kit", so they could not give me a price to install or confirm what hardware is needed, or could even say if it do-able since the manufacturer does not provide them with any installation instructions for that particular part. The only thing they had to look at was the same Mopar window diagram I found. They said they could order each individual part off the diagram if i wanted to do that, but that's about it.

I don't see why it would be so difficult to install side windows. It's my understanding the PMC cargo vans start out as wagons with windows and a back seat already installed, and they remove those items to convert it into a cargo van, replacing the side windows with a solid panel (also shown in diagram) to cover the hole.

Any help or insight or installation advice would be appreciated.

LINK TO MOPAR PAGE SHOWING PARTS DIAGRAM:
http://www.mopar.com/part/68261909AA?s=373913&i=6132718&b=ram

·
Registered
154 Posts
Many truck/van upfitters install these types of windows, id recommend you visit your local one to see what they can do. If you are unsure,just ask the fleet manager at your dealer and they will recommend someone. Dealerships just put parts on, they rarely do custom fabrication work.
More than likely its just cutting a hole, installing the weather stripping and attaching a few fasteners for the window to hinge open.
Here's a website that just sells side windows for vans, of course not the PMC...http://www.vanwindowsdirect.com

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for suggestion charged021. I'll look into that. Holes would not need to be cut, as they are already there. They are just covered with a (removable?) solid panel rather than the window.

·
Super Moderator
10,877 Posts
Don't they just glue in? Get the replacement glass, cut the opening out glue 'em in with urethane window adhesive. Probably take you less than an hour!

Opps you have a PMC it may not be that simple.

The admins are going to have a new improved site up for us soon so as we won't be confusing the two (so they keep telling me) ;)

·
Registered
211 Posts
The pmc's start off as a cargo van with a rear seat to get around the chicken tax.The only cargo vans that come with side door glass are ones that are ordered that why,or so I'm, told.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,748 Posts
Opps you have a PMC it may not be that simple.

The admins are going to have a new improved site up for us soon so as we won't be confusing the two (so they keep telling me) ;)
Gotcha!

When I looked at a City at my dealer, I thought that the windows locations were filled in with a metal or plastic blank panel that was bolted in.

Wouldn't the glass pieces bolt in the same way? On the passenger van, the windows open, so it may be more complicated, or completely different on the passenger version?

Lohchief, do you have windows or blanks? bolts?

Ed

·
Registered
211 Posts
Gotcha!

When I looked at a City at my dealer, I thought that the windows locations were filled in with a metal or plastic blank panel that was bolted in.

Wouldn't the glass pieces bolt in the same way? On the passenger van, the windows open, so it may be more complicated, or completely different on the passenger version?

Lohchief, do you have windows or blanks? bolts?

Ed
All of my windows are power,except of course the rear door windows.I have the wagon slt,so it comes that way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mopar Glass

You can buy the glass from Chrysler and have windshield guy install. Price is not bad. I priced everything and have
a glass guy lined up, just have not had time but plan on putting glass in. Used to the mirror and back up cam now so may not even bother.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You can buy the glass from Chrysler and have windshield guy install. Price is not bad. I priced everything and have
a glass guy lined up, just have not had time but plan on putting glass in. Used to the mirror and back up cam now so may not even bother.
Could you share the price that you got? I priced this to be done by Giant glass and the quote was $548.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am wondering what the interior has without those windows. I have the SLT and the far back panels have seals on the interior (sealing what I don't know, the exterior is solid panel). Does yours have that interior seal too?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Side door glass

I just had a window installed in the passenger-side sliding door. The parts are from Mopar as follows:

68283204AA Sliding door w/strip
68113475AA Installation Rivnut
68261786AA Screw
68197995AA Phillips Head screw
6106217AA Nut
68261909AA Rear Door VentGL

The installation took less than an hour by a glass shop. The rubber (?) gasket that holds the metal panel in place had to be cut out with a knife/razor blade(carefully, from the outside), the remaining rubber cut down with a razor blade and the window installed.

I looked almost a year to find this information and get the glass. Sure hope it makes someone else's life easier!

Cheers!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi! Thanks for all of the part #'s. Do you need just one of each hardware item? What is the first item in your list? The gasket? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi, I have been searching for these windows too and think I've found it. Part# 68261841AA (MoparPartsGiant.com best price $136.88). It's the passenger side rear slider door glass with all of the hardware and a gasket. It's a tinted vent glass so it has hinges so you can pop it open or keep it closed. If you're somewhat handy you could probably do it yourself with a little help to hold it in place while you mount the hardware to the door frame. Maybe use some locktite on the screws.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey there, I just installed a sliding door window on my own from CRL (https://www.carid.com/cr-laurence/replacement-window-mpn-fw395r.html) at $495 shipped.

I used a jigsaw and install was relatively painless although sightly terrifying! I love that this window is a glue-less install. Let me know if you go this route and have questions.

Good luck!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thx Daisy! I'm looking for the type of window that has two hinges toward the front and a latch at the back to let you pop it out for ventilation. I didn't see any hinges or latches on your parts list. Is that the type of window you got or is yours fixed and does not open?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I bought the glass 68261841AA and it is the correct vent glass for the slider door. It came with the two screws and hinges on the front end but didn't come with a gasket or the screws to mount the vent end. I don't need the rivnuts since they are already installed/came with the van. Check your door, the rivnuts are probably already there. The rivnuts are threaded rivets that the screws will thread into. Oh-someone posted that you have to cut the gasket holding the blank panel from the outside-it is clearly visible from the inside. Don't even attempt it from the outside-you can't get to it. The mechanism for opening/closing the vent end was included too

·
Registered
110 Posts
Slider door window is in! I removed the panel by using a long bladed pocket knife with a sharp point. Stick the point all of the way through the silicon gasket, move in the direction of the sharp side of the blade, move a fraction and poke another hole through it. Careful not to go too far or you'll be punching the painted finish that surrounds the glass/panel on the outside. Once you get the panel off you DO have to remove the rest of the gasket from the outside-carefully. I also sprayed some tar and bug remover on the gasket as I was trying to get the panel off. It seemed to help soften it up. I put the new gasket on backwards first-duh! I installed the glass and noticed a gap between the gasket and the glass. Took the window back off and reversed the gasket-not a big deal. As soon as I finished this the FedEx guy delivered my roof rails that I ordered off of ebay. They were much cheaper than the OEM and they look great! Was a little disappointed that they are held down by only one screw in each tower but they won't come loose or break off unless I flip the van or something catastrophic. You can rock the whole van while trying to wiggle one of them. The screw lengths were a little tricky. The short one goes up front, the long one goes in the middle and the third (middle) length goes on the back end. I LOVE not having the blind spot on my right. Also had all 3 side windows tinted this week. Looks GREAT!!!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts