Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm about to install my water tank and I'm looking for guidance. My tank (15 gallon 8x16x30) will be mounted standing up, bolted to the side of the van and floor, just aft of the wheel well. My questions are about filling/venting/and plumbing it.

The tank has two threaded recessed knockouts (1/2" female), one on the top and one on the bottom. There is a ~1" non-threaded spot on the top as well. I plan on attaching flexible hose on the bottom knockout and running that line to my pump. I assume the non-threaded spout is for filling.

1. I would be interested in knowing what methods/fittings people use to fill these tanks - how do you ensure water doesn't splash out while in motion?
2. Is a pressure relief valve needed on top of the tank, perhaps utilizing the other threaded female 1/2" knockout?

Thanks
Shaun

·
Super Moderator
8,678 Posts
My pump just sucks the water out from a line that goes in from the top of the tank to the bottom. I keep the vent open all the time and hold it in place (in the cabinet) with a bungy cord ;). It's just a 5 gallon soda/beer keg that I can pop right out and refill in seconds.

I know you have a permanently mounted tank but the concept is the same. You can just rig up a hose fitting (maybe with a T fitting) to fill it up without removing it Does it have any built in baffles? 15 gallons is substantially more weight than 5 gallows with more sloshing around without baffles. A vent of some kind is necessary if it is a suction pump and not pressurized, of curse.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks KOV I like your setup for simplicity. There are no baffles, which is one of the reasons I mounted it standing up.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
KOV, I never thought of using a hose as suction and just dropping it in. That's so obvious. A hose will allow me to completely drain the tank because the knockout on the bottom isn't actually flush with the bottom of the tank.

·
Registered
617 Posts
We have a 6 gallon "Jerry Jug" strapped under the sink. Initially we had intended on removing the tank for filling, but after one attempt to wrestle those six gallons into position, that thought perished. We have a city water connection which we assumed would only supply sink water when connected. It does, but it also represents a simple means for filling our tank. Even where water is not available at individual camp sites, we can drive to the community faucet, connect a short hose to our inlet and fill the tank. We additionally carried a portable hose/funnel for filling, but found this clumsy and messy so have dispatched this now unneeded baggage.

Filling the fresh water tank from a city water connection requires a cross-feed and manual valve which must be opened and monitored during filling. Initially we plumbed our Jerry Jug as per KOV, with a plastic hose through the spout of the jug to the bottom. Our filling 'cross-feed' hose/valve also tapped into that same (tank-to-pump) hose. The 'hose-in-spout' system was loose-fitting thereby providing additional venting. We say 'additional' as the Jerry Jug includes a small vent hole with plastic/rubber stopper.

We recently separated the filling 'cross-feed and valve' from the pump water supply hose for reasons set forth in our build thread. http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=434578&postcount=117

After this modification, the plastic hose through the spout is used solely for cross-feed tank filling and a second hose was positioned at the bottom of the tank to supply the pump. We didn't have any (substantial) problem with the pump 'sucking water out of the tank' as KOV is doing (looks like we may have the same self-priming pump), but in splitting-off the fill function, we decided placing the pump connection at the bottom would allow gravity to force water to the pump and lessen any chance of air bubbles in the line.

Still unresolved is 'monitoring/metering' water level in the tank . . . a function especially useful during the fill process. We anticipate adding a small clear plastic tube, outside the tank, from top to bottom as our water level 'meter'. In the meantime, we fill the tank until water trickles (or streams) out the vent hole. (This is why the filling process requires close monitoring). Yes, we lose a little water, but for the interim (we're on the road), it's ok. Concerning sloshing . . . the spout is a bit higher than the official vent . . . so we get nothing out of the spout (in which the fill hose passes). To the extent that sloshing forces water out the vent, it's small and hasn't seemed to be a problem.

In the final analysis, once we install our "meter", we can simply experiment with how full the tank can be without sloshing-out water.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
8,678 Posts
15 gallons is a lot of water. In my last trip West we used up about 5 gallons a week for the 2 of us. That's basically washing up & cooking water. I carry 2/5 gal kegs when one runs out I switch the line to the other one and just pop the empty keg out and refill it where we may be.

Actually the photo I posted is from my old set up the new setup is in the back by the rear doors and both kegs can me removed from the back without getting in the van at all.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
15 gallons is a lot of water. In my last trip West we used up about 5 gallons a week for the 2 of us. That's basically washing up & cooking water. I carry 2/5 gal kegs when one runs out I switch the line to the other one and just pop the empty keg out and refill it where we may be.

Actually the photo I posted is from my old set up the new setup is in the back by the rear doors and both kegs can me removed from the back without getting in the van at all.
If you think 15 gallons is a lot then you will think 30 gallons is insane! I actually have two of these tanks, one on each side connected by pex pipe embedded in the polyiso in the floor. We will have a shower in the van along with hot water via a heat exchanger connected to a Webasto Thermo Top engine coolant heater. I figure we will only fill as much as anticipated.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The right size grommet would make the unthreaded 1" hole a push in fit for the threaded end of that valve
That's an idea, although I already have a threaded knockout on top. That way I can use the unthreaded hole for the water inlet.

·
Super Moderator
8,678 Posts
If you think 15 gallons is a lot then you will think 30 gallons is insane! I actually have two of these tanks, one on each side connected by pex pipe embedded in the polyiso in the floor. We will have a shower in the van along with hot water via a heat exchanger connected to a Webasto Thermo Top engine coolant heater. I figure we will only fill as much as anticipated.
If you have a shower & hot water heater it make sense.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can anyone post some links to the tanks they purchased and are pleased with... that's on my list soon too.....

Thank you.
Here is what I have. 15 Gallon.

https://www.rvpartscanada.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=37&products_id=2158&zenid=1e58ifm19pf1kkf8vg4ftldjc6#.WTb3Amjys2w

This is the second attempt as I ordered two 20 gallon tanks that ended up being too tall to clear my bed width... of course I had already tapped the inlet and thus couldn't return them. If you feel like driving up to Toronto I would be willing to sell one or both of these to a fellow pmforum member... otherwise they are going on Kijiji for local sale. I fear shipping (especially to US) will be prohibitive.

Link to 20 gallon tanks.
https://www.rvpartscanada.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=37&products_id=2159&zenid=1e58ifm19pf1kkf8vg4ftldjc6#.WTb3pGjys2w

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
We might have the simplest (goes with our simple minds) water tank set up.
Here is our final version and the original-

The original didn't quite fit so we cut the top off, added a screw on top for a 5 gallon bucket
found at either Lowes or HD, to get an ever better fit used some plastic/metal u-channel. Hasn't leaked
even on the Dragon NC-28 with it's gazillion curves. Used 3M90 to glue the parts together.
After cutting off the top it only holds 8.5-9 gallons but for our lifestyle that is a lot.
You can see it's tucked in the corner right beside the left back door. Above it is the BOSS hot water machine.

Shaun, with 30 gallons on board you must feel like a king! We do have room for another tank above either wheel well
just no need (yet) :)

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Hi Medecine Man,
How do you like the Boss Hot water Machine? Which model you have?

I'm considering this option.
I'd like to know also. Looking for the easiest way to get hot water. This says it's not indoor safe, how do you get around that? Do you use it outside or just keep the van vented while you use it?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Ours is an open air shower setup, me or Poof standing between the doors, doors opened 'square', piece of tarp (magnets glued into the corners) forming the stall....as mentioned prior is fine for late spring/summer/early fall-will be interesting when it gets cold.
The BOSS just works. Great flow rate and you can recycle the heating water and get it really hot. We've only showered twice with it and just not complaints. Seems efficient for what it is. Reports are up to 5 showers on a 1lb propane tank but not with Poof showering her long hair!
Touch operation works good. It has two nozzles, one says shower the other faucet but so far we've used the faucet for the shower---the hose connects to either.
The rechargeable battery lasted for our two showers no problem. I can charge off ac or dc. We have ad/dc outlets close to it so either or for us.
Unit is stout. Seems well made, but has weight.
For our lifestyle I can recommend. For full timers probably not.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts