Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are insulating by spraying interior with self, etching primer, then spraying a couple of coats of latex/microspheres (ie lizard skin clone), then putting in thinsulate, then covering (likely to use 1/8 paneling (maybe covering with trunk liner).

The rolled thinsulate comes with black backing - should we put the backing towards the coated shell or to the paneling side ? Any thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Put the black scrim side to the interior.

Best recommendation is to use 3M 90 spray adhesive to install the Thinsulate. Spray the white fluff, spray the wall, wait a minute, then apply. Did my whole van with Thinsulate and 3M 90, worked great.

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
883 Posts
Put the black scrim side to the interior.

Best recommendation is to use 3M 90 spray adhesive to install the Thinsulate. Spray the white fluff, spray the wall, wait a minute, then apply. Did my whole van with Thinsulate and 3M 90, worked great.
How much thinsulate was required to cover your entire van? Was it purchased from hein?

·
Registered
625 Posts
How much thinsulate was required to cover your entire van? Was it purchased from hein?
I purchased 50 linear feet of Thinsulate from Hein. I am down to scraps in a small box and a couple pieces about 20" square.

I have covered everything, and filled all the channels and voids. Pulled the headliner down and stuffed it down to top of the windshield.

I will need to get a bit more though. I have yet to do the rear wheelwells and inside the front doors. Hein was quite confident that 50' would be plenty for the long PM, but I've probably been a bit crazy in insulating every bit of airspace I could.

I will say that the van is very, very quiet now. I have some minicell closed foam on the floor with a 1/2" plywood covering. The only 'open' bits are the rear wheelwells, and I can tell most of the noise is coming from there.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I got mine from Hein. I have a 136" High Roof and 40' was fine, have some left over for the doors which I didn't do yet. And yes, I stuck it in every little space I could including the ceiling which I left exposed for sound control.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thks for adhesive comments - got ours from Hein as well - 50 ft for the 159 - hopefully will cover it.
After a couple of nights of 26, 28, looking forward to the insulation.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thinsulate

I purchased 50 linear feet of Thinsulate from Hein. I am down to scraps in a small box and a couple pieces about 20" square.

I have covered everything, and filled all the channels and voids. Pulled the headliner down and stuffed it down to top of the windshield.

I will need to get a bit more though. I have yet to do the rear wheelwells and inside the front doors. Hein was quite confident that 50' would be plenty for the long PM, but I've probably been a bit crazy in insulating every bit of airspace I could.

I will say that the van is very, very quiet now. I have some minicell closed foam on the floor with a 1/2" plywood covering. The only 'open' bits are the rear wheelwells, and I can tell most of the noise is coming from there.
Thanks Zyzzyx,

How is it working as an insulation? You must have had some super hot days this summer. Are you intending to add any material as a thermal insulation?

Dave

·
Registered
625 Posts
Thanks Zyzzyx,

How is it working as an insulation? You must have had some super hot days this summer. Are you intending to add any material as a thermal insulation?

Dave
Yup, it was quite toasty this summer.

I consider the Thinsulate my primary thermal insulation. Its just a bonus that it works so well as a sound damper.

I will be adding a layer of EZ-Cool on the Thinsulate. With the depth of the side panels there should be an air gap to most of the larger areas, since the radiant insulation like EZ-Cool/Reflectix really needs an air space, it might actually help a bit. Will have plastic paneling on that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts