Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swivels on both seats will probably be my first modification. I understand the simple mechanics of unbolting and bolting. My concern is with the wires.

I do not have lumbar support or heat, so the only wires are for seatbelt/airbag, but there's still a nest of them over to the outside and apparently bundled.

If they are simply unbundled, are they long enough to make the 180° turn or do they have to be unplugged and run through the center of the swivel?

If they have to be unplugged, is there any precaution for doing this without bothering the electrical system?

·
Registered
970 Posts
Since I fly solo 100% of the time, I took out the passenger seat and built a table in its spot. The seat has 3 small multipin connectors. Best I can tell 1 for the seatbelt light, 1 for the airbag, and one for the weight sensor for the airbag (they don't fire under 60lbs or so for child safety). The connectors and three wires are fairly small, and I was able to stash them under the puffy floor simply because I was too lazy to put them elsewhere. The seat itself comes out with two bolts. Drivers seat is identical but mirror image. By the way, the box with the jack stores under the drivers seat just as well, but required a bunji cord to hold it in.
The only drawback of disconnecting the wiring is the service air bag crawl on the dash comes on at startup, and indicator light is always lit.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kip, that is good to know. Thanks. What color is this connector?

Have you considered the safety aspects of your modification--what that table could do to you if you were pushed into it? The side airbags would force you in that direction and the seatbelt wouldn't stop you. We like having you around.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I want to swivel my passenger seat. Can anybody recommend the best place to buy the kit? Has anybody done it yet on a promaster??

·
Registered
970 Posts
One connector is orange the other two are yellow. A small flathead disengages the holding tab on the connector. It's a standardized automotive connector, but I can't remember the term for it. Weatherpack maybe?

I gave some consideration to crash safety, but determined that I'd rather have a place to put my coffee cup, since a lapful of hot coffee is a stronger likelihood than me being impaled on the furniture. The driver's side airbag system remains unaltered, so that's something. The table I built is velcro'd to the floor, partly for stability and partly to keep it from rattling.

·
Registered
887 Posts
If anyone out there has added a swivel, I'd like to hear how it works for you.

There seems to be two types out there.

Do they wobble?

I'm worried my wife's feet won't touch the floor. Might have to cut seat base shorter before installing

·
Registered
358 Posts
If anyone out there has added a swivel, I'd like to hear how it works for you.

There seems to be two types out there.

Do they wobble?

I'm worried my wife's feet won't touch the floor. Might have to cut seat base shorter before installing
No wobble on mine. Appears to be a solidly built mechanism. It raises the seat about 1.5 inches.

Has anybody installed a swivel seat in their promaster?
I had a swivel installed on the passenger seat. I travel solo and the cab area becomes my "lounge/office" after I swivel the seat 90 degrees. I then use the drivers seat as a footrest. Works great for me.

Got mine from EuroCampers.com

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Steve, did you have any trouble with the crossbar that goes across the front? It looks like it will be in the way. I also plan to get mine from Eurocampers.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Steve, did you have any trouble with the crossbar that goes across the front? It looks like it will be in the way. I also plan to get mine from Eurocampers.
I didn't have a bit of trouble - MY CONVERSION GUY DID THE INSTALL. More to your point - I just looked at my seat bases (one swivel, one without) and it looks like a direct bolt-on, no sign that anything was cut. Will try to remember to ask Robert next time I see him.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The 2015 models will be available with swivel seats, I read on this forum to do it yourself and save money as the factory option is overly expensive. The adapters are $225 plus shipping each from eurocampers.com

·
Registered
118 Posts
Any updates from anyone who has done the EuroCamper swivel conversion? Would love to find a way to do this without adding height.

Thanks

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Only way to avoid the extra height with aftermarket is to cut down the seat base or order a shorter base from Europe. Installation of the Eurocampers swivel is a piece of cake. That bar I was concerned about was indeed in the way, but a bit of prying took care of it.

We are both 5'6", and the added height actually made the seats more comfortable for us.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Swivels go either direction. It says in instruction sheet, pick your direction and stick with it. To avoid wire damage.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dwight, I understood that instruction to apply only to the passenger seat. Does your driver' sweat swivel all the way both ways? Eurocampers?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts