Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Promaster 2500 high roof 136wb in white
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am preparing to cover and install my upper trim panels on the rear doors.
Fender Wood Tints and shades Automotive design Hood

How should these be fastened in place, the metal lip is so narrow it would place the screws at the outer edge of the panel which would look odd in my opinion.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
7,490 Posts
Although I screwed into the edge of those pieces (and painted the screw heads), I have used wood with insert nuts in others.
Fixture Gas Machine Rectangle Electrical supply

Make sure you coat all sides well and the fasteners are close enough to the edges to discourage cupping/warping.

·
Registered
2021 Promaster 2500 high roof 136wb in white
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am using 5mm birch plywood covered with 1/8" foam and vinyl or cloth, on the side and ceiling panels how far apart can the screws around the edges be without major warping?

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
5,246 Posts
Some ABS plastic and Xmas tree fasteners. View attachment 89516
I like the look of the ABS & did that without rear windows & #4 screws.

I was aware of the thermal expansion coefficient of ABS before making those panels. Your smaller panels & Xmas tree fasteners will fair better than my large panels & tighter fitting screws (especially with larger “slip holes” and the large head of the Xmas tree fasteners).

After selling my 1st Van, the new owner moved to Whitehorse. 🥶🥶 Think -50C (-58F). The ABS sheets were not designed for such temperature swings & the contraction caused cracking.

Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle

build methods on this page;

1 - 9 of 9 Posts