Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed themselves or had a backup camera installed in a Promaster City? If so, what brand did you choose and what issues did you run into? I have decided I am going to get one and would like to draw on the experiences of anyone who has installed one after taking delivery. I saw the posting with the one installed on the cargo van using a monitor in the rear view mirror position. Not sure if I want that big of a monitor. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Banned
66 Posts
Our drivers always have a company GPS so we opted for a Garmin wireless backup camera that pairs with the GPS.

I wired it to the 12V power outlet in rear compartment running the wire up and through the rubber protector for the factory wiring. You can see this flexible rubber tube when you open the rear door. I used an electrician's fish tape to pull the wire through. The camera mounts with the license plate bolt.

If your van has a tow hitch I would recommend tapping the reverse wire there.

I did not use a relay to the back up light, so the camera is powered whenever the vehicle is on.

The inside panel on the rear door just pulls off.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think with the PMC a backup camera in the rear view mirror would be great. My Subaru Outback had one there and for a vehicle that you are using the rear view to back-up it made sense to me after getting use it to.

Since the PM is so long and my rear windows are covered up having the camera on the dash works well, as the rear view mirror is never used.

The camera and mirror combos arent very expensive either.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Garmin wireless backup camera?

How did you tie the windshield display unit into the wiring for power? Did you connect to the map light power supply in the package tray above the sun visors? I have the factory tow package. Will scope out that wiring system. How well is the wireless camera performing in your van? Talked to a local car electronics store an they said they had a very high customer dissatisfaction rate with the wireless camera installations. Signal drops, quality and performance issues. They prefer the hard wired units because customers do not come back with problems. The Promaster City has a bunch of air bags to deal with. The curtain bags above the doors, the dash bags and the drivers knee bag between the steering wheel and center console. Still looking at the different brands and configurations.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I do backup cameras from time to time. Those guys are right about the wireless ones, JUNK!
Airbags should not be a concern, any reliable/reputable company will route the wires behind any airbags. Even if they don't, the force involved to inflate a side curtain airbag will tear the wire apart. There is no knee airbag in the PM or PMC or any commercial van as far as I know. I would recommend some brands but they are really all the same guts underneath. Most customers do not opt for the mirror with screen built in as they are quite small and for commercial van use pretty much pointless when the camera gives you a better view. Common sizes are 5-7" displays that are double sided taped to the windshield where the rear view would normally go.
Im actually doing an install with a DVR/Monitor with front facing cameras because the customer can't see below their hood (semi truck)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts