Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to install a sink. Initially, since the sink is going at the slider I was going to do a 12v pump and a faucet that would allow spraying things outside the van as well. Then I realized I have a pressure camp shower for this purpose I rarely use so now I think the sink will only be for internal use (dishes, teeth brushing, face washing, etc..)

Now I can’t decide to go with a foot pump or a 12v one. I was surprised to see foot pumps are as or more expensive than even well rated 12v pumps.

What recommendations do you have and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
We like our electric. Let’s face it we have batteries, power delivered to the galley to run the refrigerator etc. A prior RV had a hand pump. Wow it was bad in hindsight! We do have a switch near the sink so the power is off most of the time, no accidents or leaks!

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,650 Posts
We have a manual at-the-faucet pump... 1) we don't use the sink very often, 2) it's a lot quieter than an electric pump when you want a glass of water at 2am... then again, we usually use bottled water for drinking, etc.

Of course, you could get a footswitch-powered 12v pump. Leaves both hand free for the task at hand!

·
Registered
64 Posts
We installed a foot pump. After several trips I'm thinking about pulling it out and installing an electric pump. The foot pump is stiff and takes some real pressure to activate. I don't see a down side to electric and it would provide a steadier, effortless/foot-free stream of water. Running power over to the door/sink would be kind of a pain, but straightforward. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
2016 136WB low roof diesel, converted to an RV by Sportsmobile, TX
420 Posts
I suggest that if you go with an electric pump, put in a small accumulator as well. That way, the pump won't have to run anytime you just run a bit of water, it can run for fewer, longer bursts. I added an accumulator; the pump went from errt-errt-errt to buzzzz............buzzzz........ , and doesn't run at all for a short squirt of water.

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
2,695 Posts
I went electric. I have an accumulator but have not installed it yet. The only running water we have is one sink. Fresh tank, grey tank, hwt, so am electric pump considering we have an electrical system for other loads was not a very big deal. I dont even have a switch, as I would pull the fuse on the dc bus if I wanted to turn it off

It is pretty nice to just turn on the tap vs foot pump

·
Registered
2018 159" HR, Colorado
99 Posts
Just curious, what 12 volt pump and accumulator is everyone using?

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
I recommend non pressure water systems, especially in the vehicle.

The solution is submersible inline pump inside the tank, directly connected to the faucet. The pump is controlled using regulator and a off/on switch near/on the faucet. Besides the obvious advantage of non pressure system, it is significantly quieter, simpler and cheaper to build.

The pump I (as well as many European RV manufacturers) recommend is "Comet Elegance". It is available on Amazon (both US and UK).

(Fun fact, you can use USA Amazon prime on Amazon UK and the delivery is amazingly fast. When I ordered my pump from Amazon UK it was delivered in 4 days! But if I remember correctly you do pay a bit for an international shipping but it was still much cheaper than US importers charge)

If you buy variant of the pump without a built-in "no-return flow" valve, make sure to get one elsewhere.

The regulator is what called a "DC motor" regulator and can be found everywhere, just make sure it is rated for at least 5 ampers.

"Class A Customs" make various affordable water tanks, just make sure to get one with at least 1-1/2" opening to get the pump inside.

For piping I use a silicone 3/8ID 1/2OD hose.

P.S.
One day I'll replace mechanical on/switch switch with photo-electric one, at that point I'll consider the system near ideal.

·
Registered
2017 159, w/dual sliders. SF Bay area
1,026 Posts
We have the shurflow 4008 with the silencing kit and the accumulator. The pumps says that it doesn't need an accumulator, but I didn't know that when I bought it. It works. It is not loud.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,072 Posts
Just curious, what 12 volt pump and accumulator is everyone using?

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
I use the Shurflo 4008 with no accumulator -- works fine.
The newer Shurflo's (like the 4008) are much quieter than the old ones, and they also work better at low flows than the old ones.
I have the pump on a separate switch so that it can be turned off when we are away from the van, so no chance of a flood.
They are sensitive to freezing, so be sure to have a way to drain or heat it in cold weather.

Gary

·
Registered
2018 159" HR, Colorado
99 Posts
Interesting idea on the submersible in-line pump - less expensive, doesn't take up much room and simple to winterize. Will the submersible pump function the same as the shurflo, as in, will to the pump will activate when I turn the faucet on and then will the pump turn off with the throw of the faucet?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I ordered a seaflo 43 series pump. Reviews were pretty good and I like the fact it has variable flow. I'm gonna hold off on the accumulator for now to see if its necessary. I usually fill a water cup before bed so i don't see a need to run it at night and getting up to pee and slamming the door is surely way louder than a pump kicking on.

Plan is to wire it with a separate switch (my old camper was this way, I see no benefit in not having a switch) to prevent any flooding issues. I'll probably install an inline connector for the pump and either remove it completely for winter or just run it dry to avoid freezing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I use the Shurflo 4008 with no accumulator -- works fine.
The newer Shurflo's (like the 4008) are much quieter than the old ones, and they also work better at low flows than the old ones.
I have the pump on a separate switch so that it can be turned off when we are away from the van, so no chance of a flood.
They are sensitive to freezing, so be sure to have a way to drain or heat it in cold weather.

Gary
@GaryBIS two years later...still happy with the 4008? Still no accumulator? How quiet is it? That’s my number one concern. I had a trailer with a shurflow pump and after the first six months I took it out and had a dry sink and a 5 gallon water jug. The pump was incredibly loud and I hated using it. I’m thinking of the 4008 with a 2 gallon accumulator. Is that useless since the 4008 apparently doesn’t “require” an accumulato?

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,072 Posts
@GaryBIS two years later...still happy with the 4008? Still no accumulator? How quiet is it? That’s my number one concern. I had a trailer with a shurflow pump and after the first six months I took it out and had a dry sink and a 5 gallon water jug. The pump was incredibly loud and I hated using it. I’m thinking of the 4008 with a 2 gallon accumulator. Is that useless since the 4008 apparently doesn’t “require” an accumulato?
Hi,
Yes -- its still doing fine.
You can definitely hear it when its running, but I'd not say its objectionably loud. Definitely quieter than pumps we have had in previous RVs.
One feature it has that previous RV pumps we have had is that if you slow the water flow down, the pump also slows down and that makes it quieter.

I'd say leave plumbing provisions for the accumulator, but don't put it in until you have tried the pump without it -- I think you will decide its no needed.

Maybe others with the same pump could comment on the noise level?

Gary

·
Registered
177 Posts
The 4008 makes noise, but if you have it inside a cabinet or under the bed it's not bad. You can carry on a conversation while it runs. It only runs for a few seconds at a time typically, other than if you totally depressurize the system. We have an accumulator in our setup, but I've thought about removing it. I'm not sure it does a lot, and periodically it needs to be pumped back to pressure with a bicycle pump (if we empty the water tank enough to let the pump suck air).

·
Registered
2018 Silver 159 HT
251 Posts
There are some variable FW pumps in the marine world that are very quite, like the Jabsco V-Flo. Excellent pump, but a serious over kill for a RV sink. We have that one on the sailboat, the only problem if you run out of water and it keeps running, so quite you don't hear it. We use a Whale Baby Foot Gusher, great little pump. This is very important, if using a foot pump you need to match the faucet. Most faucets are designed to operate with 30-40 pisg, with small orfices. Need a very open flow faucet. Hand pumps are a waste, how do you wash your hands?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I would also echo the small submersible pump that can fit in your water tank / can. They do go directly on and off, max out at around 10 l / minute and don't generate that much pressure, but are fine for a faucet. If you hook the elec up to a momentary foot switch which you can get several places, then the faucet is only on when you have the switch depressed and release and it is off. The small submersible pumps are really inexpensive and to winterize, you just pull it out of the jug and you are all set.

·
Registered
2019 159 High Top - White, of course!
306 Posts
I went with a Whale Gusher foot pump because:
1) It is the simplest method.
2) It is quiet.
3) It is dependable (although quality electric pumps are too).

In the end, I wanted the simplest solution. After using it for a year or so (although severely limited covid travel), I don't think there are any advantages to the electric.

If you want to use it in an area where the foot pump will not reach (or more properly your foot would not reach the foot pump), then that would be another use case and would require more analysis.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts