Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In case anyone is interested (and as a reminder to myself of what I did :) ), here is how I installed a wireless rear view camera in a 2016 ProMaster (Winnebago Travato).

1. The harness for the mirror/monitor runs inside the headliner, down the A pillar, and then drops down through the dash from the right bottom point of the windshield. It helps to remove the upper glove box (open the lid, take out four screws, it lifts out, and it's a bit easier to reach in and guide the wires down; then they can be retrieved from under the dash.

2. The wireless receiver is mounted on the passenger side, on the right side of the dashboard. It fits, even with the door closed, and is space otherwise not used.

3. The power wires from the wireless receiver run under the dash and tap into the 12 volt cigarette lighter (powered when ignition is on or engine running). Thanks to proEddie for the hat tip on this part.

4. The camera is a side mount but when it arrived it was clear that the camera would not cover the hold in the side panel so I opted instead to mount it on the right side of the trailer hitch. (For what I want it for, to see when I'm past someone in the lane to the right of me so I can change back into that lane, it works well enough).

5. The wireless transmitter is mounted on top of the trailer hitch.

6. The power wires from the wireless receiver tap into the 4-wire trailer electric connector. I used the ground and the "park" feed (which is parking lights). The camera is on only if the lights are on, which might not suit everyone but it works for me because I always have my lights on when I'm driving (as Winnebago did not order a Promaster with the daytime running lights option).

It took me about 5 hours, but (1) I'm slow, (2) there was a learning curve, (3) I changed my mind about where the camera would be, (4) the quick-splice connectors aren't so quick, and (5) I did a lot of experimenting as to where to run the harness for the mirror-monitor. So folks who are handier probably can do this in less time.

[If this belongs in some other forum I apologize, and moderators, just let me know if you move it. Thanks.]

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,712 Posts
JEM,

How hard was it to get the wires down the A pillar? Did you remove it or try to slide the wire up/down it? I want to add a hardwired backup camera to mine in addition to the factory one for a more back-facing instead of down facing view.

Which Travato? G or K? I'm a big fan of the K design seeing that my floorplan is much alike. I designed it right around the time that Winnebago announced the new K but hadn't seen it until I finalized my plan.

Ed

·
Registered
765 Posts
I pulled apart the drivers' side for the hitch 12V source and about never got the A-pillar trim back in place - after 20 or more failures I got a large soft bath towel, a block of wood and a rubber mallet to get the lowest section edging the dashboard proper to conform properly and drop in enough the three different ball & socket retainers running up beside the windshield aligned properly. Getting the trim plastic softened by being sun warmed helped too. Just a hint if anyone goes there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JEM,

How hard was it to get the wires down the A pillar? Did you remove it or try to slide the wire up/down it? I want to add a hardwired backup camera to mine in addition to the factory one for a more back-facing instead of down facing view.

Which Travato? G or K? I'm a big fan of the K design seeing that my floorplan is much alike. I designed it right around the time that Winnebago announced the new K but hadn't seen it until I finalized my plan.

Ed
I hope I am using the correct terminology. I call the angled pillar between the windshield and the front door the “A pillar.” That’s because the B pillar is the one behind the front door.

It was rather easy to push the harness wire (not very thick) behind the A pillar cover. I lay the wire along the edge where the A pillar meets the windshield and then tuck it underneath the A pillar cover with four fingers. It was one of the easier parts of the project. Tucking the wire behind the edge of the headliner at the top of the windshield was probably the easiest.

Sorry it’s tough to describe in words. I don’t have a video of what I did!

It’s a 59K. My previous Class B was one I had custom designed, and the 59K is much more “open” in terms of interior space.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I’m always reluctant to pull off trim, especially when there are no screws that simply can be removed. Once upon a time (I’m showing my age) almost all trim was held in place by screws (usually Philips head). Now there are clips that snap, or multiple clips that need to be popped off or on at the same time, special tools for removing some fasteners, etc. I’m guessing the hitch harness is thicker than the mirror/monitor harness.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I pulled apart the drivers' side for the hitch 12V source and about never got the A-pillar trim back in place - after 20 or more failures I got a large soft bath towel, a block of wood and a rubber mallet to get the lowest section edging the dashboard proper to conform properly and drop in enough the three different ball & socket retainers running up beside the windshield aligned properly. Getting the trim plastic softened by being sun warmed helped too. Just a hint if anyone goes there.

I'm always reluctant to pull off trim, especially when there are no screws that simply can be removed. Once upon a time (I'm showing my age) almost all trim was held in place by screws (usually Philips head). Now there are clips that need to be popped off or on at the same time, special tools for removing some fasteners, etc. I'm guessing the hitch harness is thicker than the mirror/monitor harness, and the "tuck in with fingers" technique would not have worked.

·
Registered
39 Posts
JEM,

How hard was it to get the wires down the A pillar? Did you remove it or try to slide the wire up/down it? I want to add a hardwired backup camera to mine in addition to the factory one for a more back-facing instead of down facing view

Ed
Proeddie,
I pushed mine in the A pillar for my wired camera and had issues. I just pulled the rubber seal back. I was planning on posting some pics. Just haven't got them off my phone yet.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I kind of accidentally volunteered to explore behind the door/cab trim, I'd coiled the skinny tar-taped bundle 12V lead and the electric brake control wire up behind the drivers seat until I needed to be into the trim/liners anyway, and then came the day I used the door frame pillar to get a grip on while pushing the van down the driveway... and all the snap-lock fasteners popped and the trim was loose... And yes, I saw the 'sneak behind the rubber gasket option', but did not want the possibility of what I was adding being on "my" side of the airbag blast zone, remember the plastic trim gets energetically moved when they go bang...

Anyhow, once I could peek under the pillar trim the search-and-destroy mission against the windshield trim mounted tweeters was on... which of course promptly morphed into all cab liners out, about eight pounds of secondskin sound damper installed, and R-7 to R-12 worth of Prodex and Tyvek insulation installed, and the two stamped sheetmetal hollow beams above the seats filled with canned foam, and reinstall of everything for about twelve hours of precision making it up as I go craftsmanship...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts