Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally we got some warmer weather here in NY so I started my spy*camera install, Ha
You can do this install to most of the newer vans - ProMasters, MB Sprinters, Ford Transit, Nissan NV Hi Top Vans they all have basically the same mirror bases

Ok we all know the bad blind spot on the Ram ProMasters driver side, and on my van a (2016 Pro Master 2500 HI top 159wb) I do not have the window on my slider door nor do I have any back windows. So that's the 2nd blind spot on the passenger side mirror when switching lanes.

So I bought 4 tiny spy out door wide angle 12v wired cameras (1 Drivers, 2 Passengers, 3 Front grill, 4 Back next to the factory rear cam) and attached them to a 9" quad monitor and attached it to my rear view mirror on my windshield. Nice for lane change and when parked urban stealth camping / security whatever. you can also hook it up to a 12v DVR Recorder to loop record when driving or parked.

Yes they come in night vision. you can flip the camera image by clipping a green wires so it feels and looks right on you quad monitor. Go on Ebay and do your home work, there are all kinds of tiny weather proof wide angle cams
to choose from. (WARNING what ever camera you choose the connection on the wire MUST BE SMALL enough to PULL THROW THE mirror elbow - look at my pics)

INSTALL: Note: I DO NOT have the auto fold in mirrors, just the heated mirrors. Yes they probably a lot more wires and gears inside the base if you have the power folding mirrors, be carful do your home work.
Drill the hole in the mirror base first. TEST drill a hole first just to make sure the camera will fit, there's no gong back once the hole is drilled. If ya make a mistake a tube of black RTV sealant $4.99 OR a new mirror $100 bucks used Ebay or just drive around with a hole in you mirror, ha JK, You'll be fine! can't be as bad as cutting a 14" hole in yr roof.

Pop the window molding off, 3 hex/star bolts T40, pull foam down off mount backing let the mirror hang, then fish the wire throw the elbow of the mirror base.
(NOTE: This was the hardest part of the job I used coat hanger with a slippery coating around the wire to fish it throw the elbow of the mirror, it helps to keep each mirror folded out it seemed to let the wire go throw easier)
feed wire into cab. I'll post more pics when I finish the Front / Back camera install.
I'm also buying another 7" or 9" quad monitor for the back and mount it above the bed so I can monitor what's going on outside the van day or night.
If it something you might be interested in check out my pics, I'm also going to make a install video for my YouTube channel at (Andysvanadventure) All my van build out vids start in 5/2018

Thanks Happy Trails
AvA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ACaqfXJS68

·
Registered
808 Posts
I started work on something similar but a bit different, but have been sitting on the parts for a while since I installed my windows as it wasn't quite as pressing.

Instead of a 9" quad monitor, I bought this video mixer/compositor:

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074DRHNV1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

And I have one of those rearview mirror monitors made by Pyle around here somewhere. I have a driveway that I back out of into a loop, so without the windows I was flying pretty much blind. The idea was to have cams pointed left and right on a backup camera and then another one mounted on a outrigger on a small piece of angle aluminum at the top right corner of the slider.

Now that I have my windows, I may change change the mounting of the cameras around to a setup similar to yours and take another run at it.

·
Premium Member
2018 159 High Roof gas, BC, Canada
1,404 Posts
I am watching this thread with extreme interest. I am interested in both blind-spot coverage as well as security when parked. Looking forward to seeing how to make out. Nice to know there are 12V DVRs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
can not add my pics?

It will not let me add my install pics?
keep getting this message??

vBulletin Message
Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.
If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I sometimes get that error if I use the back button after logging in. Sometimes a page refresh clears it.

I think I've gotten the same error in scenarios where I've started to post without logging in first, and then it asks for credentials.

P.S. My past few posts have taken quite a while to respond, so the server may be under some kind of stress like DB maintenance or a backup job or something.

·
Super Moderator
10,478 Posts
It will not let me add my install pics?
keep getting this message??

vBulletin Message
Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.
If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.
Are you using a 3rd party for cloud storage the site itself? If you’re using the site I would encourage you to use something else, google images or post image for example. If that doesn’t help report back and an admin with help you out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ok we all know the bad blind spot on the Ram ProMasters driver side, and on my van a (2016 Pro Master 2500 HI top 159wb) I do not have the window on my slider door nor do I have any back windows. So that's the 2nd blind spot on the passenger side mirror when switching lanes.

Thanks Happy Trails
AvA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ACaqfXJS68
Where is this blind spot of which you speak:eek:

After driving snow plow for 20 some odd years and another equiviliant number of years driving OTR with a tractor at least half again as long as my ProMaster plus the 53' trailer I felt my ProMaster feels kinda like a sports car.>:D Granted I do have the side door and rear door windows.;)

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
I gotta say the mirrors on this van are the best on any vehicle I have ever owned. Mine doesn’t have that blind spot feature. Think what I save not needing to do anything about it!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I can possibly see wanting a backup camera for hooking up a bumper mount trailer vs backing a 5th wheel under a king pin which is pretty much self centering within reason.

Unless hooking up a trailer I am pretty happy with the mirrors and windows as is. YMMV

I dont have the fancy remote mirrors just the plain old fashion kind but they are still manually adjustable.;)>:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Camera install on pass/driver side pro master van mirrors pics

The pics are not that good, had to reduce the pix and size of each pic. I'll start making van build vids and do a make a video on YouTube soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I here ya I'm also a truck driver.
Pro master driver side has the door post blind spot, (to lazy to lean forward all the time so I installed a camera)
Passenger side I like looking out the slider door window quick not all the time but just incase I was unsure if there was a car.
Anyways, the camera install was not only to help with driving (yes lazy) and recording (12v DVR) while diving to play back to car that pulled out in front of me or the car that blew the red light and hit me. But when parked in the city street small town USA or camp site and a vehicle pulled up on me in back, front, or side of me all I have to do is click on my 2nd monitor next to my bed to see if its the police thieves vandals or just my friendly campers next to me coming to say hello. I'll be hitting the road this year I'll let ya know how they worked and if it was worth the install.

Thanks AvA

·
Registered
2017 159, w/dual sliders. SF Bay area
1,026 Posts
Andy,

Thanks for sharing. I'm interested in this for the same reasons you are. I even have some of the parts. Unfortunately your photos are too small to see any detail. Can you take another shot at sharing them? I'm innterested in where you tapped 12V power.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts