Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered the 8020 adapter kit from Heinz and put together this mount for my singular solar panel.
The solar panel I ordered from Platt electric : https://www.platt.com/platt-electri...Q-PLUS-BFR-G4-1-290/product.aspx?zpid=1451328
It was only 140 shipped so I wanted to give it a try. I haven't hooked it up yet because I need to get a fitting to go into the camera housing. The .5" adapter I bought yesterday will not accept the cabling i have.

·
Registered
2018 159" HR, Colorado
94 Posts
Looks very clean, nice job. I'm interested in doing something similar. Do you feel the mounts and your 8020 setup will hold the weight of a Thule cargo box and a person's weight? I want to be able to load up a Thule box and be able to walk around on this type of cargo rack.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I am building it in stages and this was my first. If this works out I may build forward and make place for an awning.

The mounts seem extremely stable and coupled with the 8020 structure and internal fasteners itself the whole rack feels very secure. I think the cargo box and a person would not be an issue (Assuming you are not jumping around). I am inclined to get a ladder now because I may want to store some paddle boards.

I was concerned the solar panel would hobble at highway speeds and that maybe the roof rack would make significant wind noise. I did a test drive and didn't notice either.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Nice work. I have been mounting panels using 8020 material and brackets for a long time. (not the hein stuff, but close enough).

When I can , I try to lay the panels cross wise as it eliminates the need for the extra structure beams. The downside of course is that it is easier to see the panels from the ground.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was really trying to minimize the impact of my changes so I wanted something that would allow me to remove them on a whim. I originally intended to actually put the panel within the structure, but the problem I ran into was nothing is really accessible underneath the rack from the edges. I was not able to get a wrench in there.
I had to attach the panel to those flat aluminum bars first, and then attached the bars to the 8020. I am currently pleased with the simplicity but I think it can be improved.

I got the charge controller and wiring hooked up yesterday. We have zero sunshine right now.

Here is my current rat's nest:

Here is the charge controller:

Co pilot

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts