Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2021, Promaster 159 HR 2500, Silver
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping knowledgeable folks here would look at this plan for wiring puck lights and tell me if it is OK to run one wire and then split it into 2 dimmers followed by 4 puck lights per dimmer. I'm open to all suggestions. I am fine putting them on 2 separate fuses and 2 separate wires if necessary. Just asking before I do it!

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Premium Member
2019 136 low roof
89 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was hoping knowledgeable folks here would look at this plan for wiring puck lights and tell me if it is OK to run one wire and then split it into 2 dimmers followed by 4 puck lights per dimmer. I'm open to all suggestions. I am fine putting them on 2 separate fuses and 2 separate wires if necessary. Just asking before I do it!
Thanks!!!
Unless you want zones, you can put all 8 puck lights on one dimmer. 12 AWG is way overdone. a 16 AWG would be fine for the 3 watts x 8 lights, or 25 watts that the lights consume. If you do 2 circuits, you can use 18 AWG.

Use the Circuit Wizard - Blue Sea Systems. Cheers...AB

·
Registered
65 Posts
I did buy a roll of 250 feet of 14 and 16 AWG and thought I would have a lot left over. Nope, I had to get more of the 16AWG, but I have lots of lights, gadgets, USBs and switches. Everything else runs on 14 AWG. Happy to share my research knowledge. Cheers...AB

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@furnitureguy
It sounds like 1 slider for dimmer and one for changing light color? Or can 2 sliders be used for 2 different sets of lights?

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,748 Posts
@furnitureguy
It sounds like 1 slider for dimmer and one for changing light color? Or can 2 sliders be used for 2 different sets of lights?
That dimmer is designed to go with variable white color leds. Lets you go from cool white to warm white if the leds are built to do that. Most aren't. Looks like you could also use them to dim 2 separate banks of lights as you require.

I haven't seen puck lights with variable white color... you can buy 'em either cool white or warm white.... cool is blue-ish, warm is yellow-ish.

If you wanted multi-color lighting, you could buy RGB led panels that go in a light fixture, They sell them to replace car dome lights with a remote to select the color.

In my ceiling I have 8 puck lights but each has an on off switch on it. So, I can use one main switch and dimmer then decide which lights are on and off at the light. This allows for different lighting depending on the need.

If you haven't bought the puck lights yet, you could buy the ones with a pushbutton on/off in the center of the light, and decide on warm or cool white.

These are surface mount... not sure about recessed. I guess it depends on if you already cut the holes!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought warm white and will run them in 2 zones. Since that double switch that @furnitureguy found works for that then I will go with it. It looks better and is much cheaper.

@AB_Dallas yes the 12awg is overkill but it is the only kind of wire I have bought so far. I have a roll of 100' and I am going to do some guestimating on whether or not that will be enough for all of my electrical needs which are very few. If I need additional wire I will step it down to 14 or 16 awg to run some of the lower draw items like the puck lights.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Dimmers and puck lights don't always work.

It might be worthwhile to build it up as a bench test first before putting it in the van.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have what appears to be the same brand of dimmer (but different configuration), with what appears to be the same puck lights, and they work together, but no guarantees. :)

Reactions: Boondogger

·
Registered
277 Posts
I personally don't dim too often because I have multiple lighting options -- reading lights at the head of the bed on each side, under-cabinet lighting for the kitchen prep area, and the overhead lights, so I generally don't use the dimmer very often, but I'm still glad that I gave myself the option.

·
Premium Member
2014 - 136 - High Roof - Oakland CA
22 Posts
Does anyone have experience with the ones that furnitureguy posted?
It says 0-100% pwm but does it really draw 0 current at switch all the way down?
I'm doubtful of that concept from these switches that don't have a on off function as well as dimmer function.
Thoughts, all?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,748 Posts
go with # 12 wire for Voltage drop 16 to small
Major overkill.... I used #18AWG for my LED lights. They work perfectly fine.

The slight voltage drop will amount to the lights being 1 or 2% dimmer than they would be with #12... who cares! Undetectable!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts