Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My inner tie rods are showing some end play (very little). So I went looking for new ones. Ram is not offering them yet. I did find some on E-bay for this van a 2014 3500. They showed up and I can tell you if anyone has actually installed these TAKE THEM OFF! I sent them a return request stating they don't fit my application. They don't understand it as they claim they've sold a ton of them with no issues. Side by side comparison should be enough to make you stop and ship them back. They are very light duty, the ball and socket are 1/4" smaller in diameter. The shaft size is 3/32nds of an inch smaller in diameter (past the threaded area). Just FYI is all. If you purchase these for your promaster look them over really good. I suspect sooner or later one will brake and someone will be hurt or worse. These are made in Taiwan and sold by a couple of sources on E-bay. The rack on these are the same for diesel and gas models from my understanding. Inner tie rods (OEM) for the Ducato branded vans are available, so I may order them just for shits and giggles and see if they fit. Of course the dealer has no idea if they interchange. For 30 bucks vs 1,500 it's worth the gamble. The Taiwanese ones range from 200-300 for a pair. 512,000 miles still going strong.

·
Premium Member
8,715 Posts
Since most vans are gassers I expect yours is. Great to know that they last. Other issues or advice after half a million?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most issues were before the warranty ran out. I do all my own repairs on it. The engine is really an easy engine to work on. I replaced the cams on the right (rear) head. Easy job. Plugs are easy as well. The best place for info on these motors is a you tuber "motorcity mechanic" He has a video on almost everything on the 3.6. Nothing on the promaster itself. The transmissions are a little tender. I don't take off quick and I don't let lug. I installed a drain plug in the trans pan, I change the oil in it around 20,000 miles. I change the filter around 90,000. It had a new trans put in at 95,000. I change the engine oil between 5-7,000 miles. I do it myself only takes about ten minutes. I run full syn Valvoline and use K&N oil and air filters. Dave at Motorcity is good guy for info.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Pro3500: What do you think happened with the transmission at 95,000? Do you haul heavy cargo? You maintain that transmission more than most people so I'm a bit surprised. But I guess the new transmission has gone over 400,000 and so maybe the original had a defect.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pro3500: What do you think happened with the transmission at 95,000? Do you haul heavy cargo? You maintain that transmission more than most people so I'm a bit surprised. But I guess the new transmission has gone over 400,000 and so maybe the original had a defect.
The first transmission broke a drum on a final drive.

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,376 Posts
Did you find an over seas part supplier for the inner tie rod? I don't need one just trying to source future parts. I did come across Detroit axel with a rebuilt rack with new parts life time warranty $400
https://www.detroitaxle.com/shop/steering/reman-power-steering-rack-pinion-assembly-fits-promaster-2500/

My inner tie rods are showing some end play (very little). So I went looking for new ones. Ram is not offering them yet. I did find some on E-bay for this van a 2014 3500. They showed up and I can tell you if anyone has actually installed these TAKE THEM OFF! I sent them a return request stating they don't fit my application. They don't understand it as they claim they've sold a ton of them with no issues. Side by side comparison should be enough to make you stop and ship them back. They are very light duty, the ball and socket are 1/4" smaller in diameter. The shaft size is 3/32nds of an inch smaller in diameter (past the threaded area). Just FYI is all. If you purchase these for your promaster look them over really good. I suspect sooner or later one will brake and someone will be hurt or worse. These are made in Taiwan and sold by a couple of sources on E-bay. The rack on these are the same for diesel and gas models from my understanding. Inner tie rods (OEM) for the Ducato branded vans are available, so I may order them just for shits and giggles and see if they fit. Of course the dealer has no idea if they interchange. For 30 bucks vs 1,500 it's worth the gamble. The Taiwanese ones range from 200-300 for a pair. 512,000 miles still going strong.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kil, I haven’t looked into any further yet. I will be when it warms up. Right now the end play is minimal. That looks like a better alternative than a new one from Ram. I wonder where they source the tie rods from?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Phil, we are looking for inner tie rods they are available in the EU for less than $30 pr plus shipping, but we do not know if they will fit on the PM. In the EU they give dimensions of the part in the US they want VIN# which does not tell us the dimensions of the part. So you need to put your caliper to your inner tie rod and get dimensions of the PM's inner tie rod and compare to the EU inner tie rod and hope for the best. The inner tie rods just aren't available in the US at this moment (? able on ebay). But if they last 500,000 miles like Pro3500 then replacing the whole rack, the only option in the US right now, with a rebuilt one may be worth it who knows if the rack is about to go or be a million mile baby.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
KilWerBzz These are supposed to be the same. They fit FIAT,PEUGEOT,CITROEN DUCATO. Do a search for part number: 1359226080. A company in FL sells them (imported). Of course overseas suppliers as well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Moog part number. MOOG Tie Rod Axle Joint inner, Front axle both sides, 277mm
Article №: CI-AX-7320.

I’m going to check with local parts supplier and see if they can order them. I want to replace mine before I do my next set of tires. Unde

·
Registered
5 Posts
Inner and Outer Tir Rods and Ball Joints

My ProMaster 3500 needed new tie rods after 80k already.
I am driving a lot through Charlotte and I am using a guy there - he is using only high performance German product and the tie rods now have over 250k and still ok.
Had my ball joints replaced as well after 150k and the new ones from same brand are still good.

I can only suggest that guy if you're ever in Charlotte.

I will post some other issues I have had...

-----------------------------------------------
!!! Drive Safe !!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am being told that I have an inner rie rod that is worn and needs to be replaced on my 2014 Dodge Ram Promaster 2500 Diesel 136wb, it seems to drive fine but I want to be safe. They are telling me the whole steering rack has to be replaced and the dealer wants 2k to replace rack and do an alignment, that seems like a lot is it possible to get just the inner tie rod somewhere and have a mechanic install it?

·
Registered
967 Posts
I bought the cheap tie rods on ebay from a seller in Seattle I believe. I put them on both of my vans. I have 100-150k on them each and no problems. YMMV.

Reactions: uralwrench

·
Registered
8 Posts
Any new information on this? My inner tie rods are also i need of replacing soon and the shop is also telling me to replace the whole steering rack. Anyone have a link to a site offering the tie rods by themselves? Thanx.

·
Premium Member
8,715 Posts
See the post above yours and search Ebay?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought several inner and outer tie rods on ebay, just search for Promaster tie rods in ebay, (I won't advertise here).
I always buy the cheapest BUT NEVER the ones from TAIWAN, always the ones shipped from US.
Mine worked super well - got mostly MOOG parts, sometimes another brands, cannot complain about quality at all!
The guy I'm buying sells inners and outers - you need to know how to replace them though or get a mechanic. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts