Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at getting the victron multi 3000w inverter but high price tag or the renogy 3000w inverter......
With the renogy i could buy maybe a 3rd battery but like to know what makes the victron worth so much more money.....is it that good ? And maybe get that one......not sure what way to go.........thanks

·
Registered
569 Posts
The victron has great features and complete ability to program almost every parameter. If you have lithium batteries and other unique needs it is a great inverter.

The other inverter I would choose for heavy use is Magnum energy.

For a Van with heavy use, high loads, or lithium batteries: Victron or Magnum

If I was only relying on it for light AC loads and none were critical, then any other inverter would be just fine.

·
Registered
920 Posts
You've picked two ends of the scale here. Victron tends to be a little expensive for what it is and usually offers every feature under the sun - they are very expensive over all. That 3000W multi is an inverter/charger by the way.

Renogy tends to be the lowest end branded product line. They are cheap. Many people buy them and find them to be acceptable.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I don't know if the Victron has the "load support" function, where you can limit the incoming 120V current draw and make up any shortfall with the inverter. This is useful when you don't have a full 30A RV connection, but only a standard 15A house connection and/or standard extension cord.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Hi Chips,

I've had very good luck with the Aims Inverter;
It has been in use since 2016 and has suited our needs. I also purchased the remote control so that I could operate the unit from my control panel.
Let me know if there are any other questions.

Mike

·
Registered
920 Posts
I don't know if the Victron has the "load support" function, where you can limit the incoming 120V current draw and make up any shortfall with the inverter. This is useful when you don't have a full 30A RV connection, but only a standard 15A house connection and/or standard extension cord.
Pretty sure it has this, but it requires the external control panel (or a config change through a PC).

·
Registered
569 Posts
Pretty sure it has this, but it requires the external control panel (or a config change through a PC).
Yes, you either need to program it with a computer or have the external control. If you have lithium batteries you will need to program it anyway. If you want the victron, you need the USB computer interface. If you aren't using the features that require the interface, I would probably not get the victron in the first place.

I have the external control panel and it makes changing from different shore power connections a breeze. I currently have it set to limit draw to 8 amps because I am at my house on a 15 amp connection and there are other devices on the circuit. Unless my battery is low I would never need 8 amps unless my microwave and air conditioner are running at the same time, in which case the inverter can make up the difference.

Its really nice to be able to control the draw from shore power, and even easier when you just turn a knob on the control panel.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Chips,

I've had very good luck with the Aims Inverter;
It has been in use since 2016 and has suited our needs. I also purchased the remote control so that I could operate the unit from my control panel.
Let me know if there are any other questions.

Mike
thanks i'll look into that !

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
....cut....
I have the external control panel and it makes changing from different shore power connections a breeze. I currently have it set to limit draw to 8 amps because I am at my house on a 15 amp connection and there are other devices on the circuit. Unless my battery is low I would never need 8 amps unless my microwave and air conditioner are running at the same time, in which case the inverter can make up the difference.
.....cut....
Its really nice to be able to control the draw from shore power, and even easier when you just turn a knob on the control panel.
I’m curious if you have used this PowerAssist feature while connected to a generator rather than the grid as shore power?

It sounds like a good way to power an air conditioner that cycles on and off frequently (like through the night) without a small generator changing power output excessively, which can change sound level too much. That makes it difficult for me to sleep.

I don’t recall the inverter brand, but thought I read somewhere that the power assist could not be used with generators. I assumed it was probably due to variations in frequency. Sounds like the more expensive Victron can match the moving target of a generator.

·
Registered
569 Posts
This is what the manual for my Victron said

"PowerAssist – Extended use of your generator and shore current: the MultiPlus “co-supply” feature
This feature takes the principle of PowerControl to a further dimension allowing the MultiPlus to supplement the capacity of the
alternative source. Where peak power is so often required only for a limited period, the MultiPlus will make sure that insufficient shore or
generator power is immediately compensated for by power from the battery. When the load reduces, the spare power is used to
recharge the battery.
This unique feature offers a definitive solution for the ‘shore current problem’: high power electric tools, dish washers,
washing machines, electric cooking etc. can all run on 16A shore current, or even less. In addition, a smaller generator can be
installed."

The last line seems to indicate that a benefit is a smaller generator, which leads me to believe it works with generators, although I have not use it with one because I don't have one in my van.

This is in contrast to the solar system at my house, which specifically says the inverters cannot sync to generators, but they are grid tie inverters. The victron cannot feed the grid so any mismatches are not as significant.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Yes, you either need to program it with a computer or have the external control. If you have lithium batteries you will need to program it anyway. If you want the victron, you need the USB computer interface. If you aren't using the features that require the interface, I would probably not get the victron in the first place.

Hi Jracca

I thought (but could be wrong), that a 3rd option of programming the Victron would be a adding a bluetooth “dongle” & then using the “App”?

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Thanks jracca. I was thinking the 60 Hz from grid is precise and consistent, but frequency from a generator can vary depending on engine RPM, so maybe 60 Hz one second and 58 Hz an instant later, or whatever speed. I suppose that if inverter reacts or adjusts fast enough, the load on generator may not change enough in the first place, so sudden changes in speed or frequency may not be an issue regardless. And if they are talking about 20 milliseconds or less, a standard generator shouldn’t change too much anyway. For those who have had issues (perhaps with other inverter brands), I wonder if inverter generators are better or worse than conventional ones. I’ll have to research this a bit more.

PowerAssist would simplify having both generator and inverter electrical power in a van if generator was to be used primarily for air conditioning over long periods, and/or battery charging when boondocking for days without driving. Total cost may end up higher than adding more batteries though. Thanks again.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Hi Jracca

I thought (but could be wrong), that a 3rd option of programming the Victron would be a adding a bluetooth “dongle” & then using the “App”?
I am not sure about programming all the features of the multiplus from an app. It does not list this as a method for programming in my owners manual. I have programmed lots of other victron devices from the app (smartsolar, B2B charger, BMV712) but do not thing the multiplus can do that (there are hundreds of different settings and assistants, ESS settings, etc that the multiplus can do, even more if you are running more than one in three phase setups)

I don't know for certain, but its not in the manual and doesn't seem feasible based on what I know

·
Registered
569 Posts
Thanks jracca. I was thinking the 60 Hz from grid is precise and consistent, but frequency from a generator can vary depending on engine RPM, so maybe 60 Hz one second and 58 Hz an instant later, or whatever speed. I suppose that if inverter reacts or adjusts fast enough, the load on generator may not change enough in the first place, so sudden changes in speed or frequency may not be an issue regardless. And if they are talking about 20 milliseconds or less, a standard generator shouldn’t change too much anyway. For those who have had issues (perhaps with other inverter brands), I wonder if inverter generators are better or worse than conventional ones. I’ll have to research this a bit more.

PowerAssist would simplify having both generator and inverter electrical power in a van if generator was to be used primarily for air conditioning over long periods, and/or battery charging when boondocking for days without driving. Total cost may end up higher than adding more batteries though. Thanks again.
The multiplus is pretty forgiving on inputs

Input frequency range 45 - 65Hz
Input voltage range 94 - 143VAC

These things are often used on boats where shore power is much less reliable and steady than RV parks.

Victron makes some interesting chargers that are even more forgiving on inputs and can take almost any frequency and voltage from 80-300 volts even DC. Pretty cool stuff in my electrical engineering nerd opinion.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The 3000 is a good 2500 watt inverter.

In theory it can accept a wide frequency range, but that is only for the "charging only" mode, not the "power support" mode.

In practice, I had a customer with a win view that has the built in onan generator. The 3000/12 would work stand alone and grid connected, but the onan was not working quite perfectly and we had a heck of a time getting it to sync up.

It also worked just fine connected to the inverter in my van but that is a pretty high end inverter-only setup. (charger is a separate item)

I put a scope on the onan and it was only wandering a few Hz.

We finally got it to work by really widening the input tolerances but I wouldn't trust it as a method to work with for instance a honda 2000 in eco mode, even though that is the intended concept.

In case it is interesting, we went through 3 DOA Victrons before getting one to work at all. 30 days later, the 3000 had a fan blade break while the customer was on vacation.

We were being pretty careful so I don't think that this was us.

For similar or less money, you can buy a domestically produced good quality inverter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts