Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not seen this anywhere else than WalMart in-store. I figured I could risk $10, and besides, I could return it if I didn't like it. This baby in going to the van. It can stand on end for storage.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Mini-Indoor-Grill/53264465 Works like a George Foreman grill with drip pan. I've never had a Foreman, so can't really compare.

1000W. Takes about 2 minutes to preheat from room temperature, then 1-5 minutes to cook whatever.

Looks like 5/8" is about max thickness of food on plates, which are a bit larger than 5.5" X 8". Open-face ham and cheese in less than a minute. Hamburgers took about 4 minutes, but I won't cook them in the van. French toast is a winner in about a minute.

Grill plates are not removable, but wipe clean easily with a damp rag.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,529 Posts
Ms,

Good info... just a resistance element, so no pure sine wave issues I guess. Worth a try just for a good grilled cheese sandwich.... Buttered toast perhaps? tough to do in a microwave!

Still haven't tried the Induction plate with my setup... lotsa holiday events going on.

Ed

·
Super Moderator
10,170 Posts
I see those at our town dump (recycling facility) all the time. I should pick one up and try it out someday!

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably not worth the space if you have a full kitchen. After Christmas should be a good hunting time.

I'm also thinking garlic bread to go with the lasagna I freeze, then reheat in the MW.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I of course make all that stuff in a teflon skillet on my butane stove, hamburgers, not so much in the van although I haven’t tried it yet. Report back on how the inverter handles it. Price is right and it looks like the cooking times are short. 7min @ 100 amps DC is about 12 Amp-Hr/food cycle. Probably two or three times as much as a microwave but microwaves ruin bread and don’t leave those great grill marks!

·
Super Moderator
10,170 Posts
All comes to he who waits! Went to the dump this morning and, lo and behold, a George Forman grill in all it's glory just waiting to be snatched up by KOV! ;)

·
Registered
351 Posts
When I was driving a truck my partner and I bought a small George Foreman grill and used it to grill steaks. We just sat it on the foot rest with the door open. It worked pretty good for that.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That gives me the idea that I could set this thing on the side door step with the door almost closed.

And Congratulations, KOV. What are its dimensions?

·
Super Moderator
10,170 Posts
It's still in the van too cold out to play with it but I would guess about 7" or 8" sq by maybe 4" high.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Hope you got the little “lower lip” drip tray. Knowing how successful you are at your town refuse transfer station (KOV’s supply depot) I expect you will soon have a selection of sizes and wattages. You know, the 1/4 lb burger for one size, the two manly steaks size, the vegan roasted chills and onions size, the breakfast sandwich for 4 size, the SW chorizo and huevos quesadillas size, oh I could go on...... Oh I just thought it might grill shrimp!!

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Grilled cheese is done almost as soon as the lid is closed.

RD, I passed up a couple of quesadilla makers in your neck of the woods. Didn't know they existed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts