Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On August 28th the $10 Lifetime Senior National Parks Pass will become the $80 LSNPP. It will still be a bargain but if you are eligible you might want to act now. For anyone who does not know it gives you and anyone in your vehicle free access to the National Parks, to many other federal lands and holdings and a reduced camping rate at National Parks campgrounds and many other federal campgrounds like BLM, where fees are charged.
These six agencies participate in the Interagency Pass Program:

National Park Service
U.S. Forest Service
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Bureau of Land Management
Bureau of Reclamation
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers

These campgrounds are our first choice for interesting areas, wonderful and considerate fellow campers, and very inexpensive rates with the discount. I have had one for many years and the Mrs. just bought one JIC something untoward should happen to me and she wants to get in to a NP or camp.

See:
https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm#CP_JUMP_5088578

·
Registered
'16 2500 159 HT Granite Window - OH(io)
357 Posts
Thanks for the information!
Just a word of warning, don't be in a hurry if you order a pass online!
I started by scanning my Drivers License, because you need to submit identification.
One half hour later, I finally made it through the process which required creating an account, verifying e-mail, and on and on. $20.00 with processing fees.

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,480 Posts
Thanks for the information!
Just a word of warning, don't be in a hurry if you order a pass online!
I started by scanning my Drivers License, because you need to submit identification.
One half hour later, I finally made it through the process which required creating an account, verifying e-mail, and on and on. $20.00 with processing fees.
Processing time 9weeks online, 12weeks by mail and instant if you buy at one of the listed parks.
https://store.usgs.gov/sites/default/files/PassIssuanceList.pdf

·
Registered
627 Posts
The Gift

it gives you and anyone in your vehicle free access to the National Parks, to many other federal lands and holdings and a reduced camping rate at National Parks campgrounds and many other federal campgrounds like BLM, where fees are charged.
We are in a cantankerous mood this morning . . . possibly because, even after getting the nearby camper to move his generator to 'the other side' . . . nature and the tranquility of this 'furtherest west you can drive in North America' campground (Anchor Point, Alaska) has been compromised.

We, too, have held one of those $10 federal senior passes for an undisclosed number of years. We couldn't believe it. Nowhere have/had we seen such a remarkable 'gift' from any government. It's too good to be true.

And not to diminish its continuing value, but over the years we've begun to see that it was too good to be true. The feds are eating away, now, from both ends of this grant.

Yes, RD, even at $80 it remains an incredible 'steal'. But, really, an 800% increase?

It's the other end, though, that is increasingly diminishing the value of this Pass. Recently we had to pay to see Gettysburg's 'Cyclorama' - - a federal park that originally fell under the Senior Pass. But it seems that the government is 'transferring' ownership, or at least operations, of these facilities to private organizations . . . "so your Senior Pass doesn't apply here". Cape Canaveral is another example.

Then we tried to take the last site at a federal campground in Granby, Colorado. Sites were $24, but $12 for seniors. But, this site was marked "double site" (not sure why, it looked no larger than all the others). As a double site it was priced, well, double: $48. Ok, we could bite the bullet and pay $24. Nope. Seniors don't get the discount on double sites, not even for 1/2 of the price - - a full $48 was demanded.

Then we discovered that the full discount doesn't apply to anything other than rustic (no services) sites. In Juneau we were told (by phone as the Mendenhall Glacier campground was 100% reservation and could not be paid locally, only by phone) that since we were attempting to reserve a site with electricity, our discount would not apply. At least here, they tendered a $5 discount - - better than nothing, but not the 50% expected. Oh, but wait, it gets better. In order to reserve this site - - remember one can't pay locally with a self-registration box - - you have to pay an additional $10 registration fee! Disgusted and annoyed, we finally left - - paying a little bit extra at a nearby commerical site, but then, at least, we got all the amenities, including the occasional bear visit.

Ok, we're done with this rant except to ponder, is the AARP or anyone (else) noticing the erosion of this 'gift' and challenging it?

Tomorrows Topic: Are all old people cantankerous? Or just Promaster owners?

·
Super Moderator
10,478 Posts
The answer to your question - BOTH!

And, yes elections have consequences.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts