Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to increase the tank capacity on my PM. Ideally, I want to double it to 50 gal. Has anyone done anything like this? Any ideas on where to start looking for aux tanks or larger capacity tanks?

Thanks!

·
Registered
68 Posts
The Fiat Ducato can be ordered with an optional 125 Liter (33 gallon) tank. It would be interesting to know if anyone has ever attempted a retrofit on a Promaster.

Pete

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
I doubt it as we have the 5+gallon DEF tank down by the diesel tank. If its a simple matter I would love to have near 900 mile range.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So it looks like https://www.transferflow.com/ has an option that might work. An aux tank (mounted underneath) with the trax3 system for automatic refilling of the main tank. It's kind of a clunky option with more potential failure points than just a larger main tank though....

·
Super Moderator
10,851 Posts
Still probably the simplest most practical way but in the long run - what are you really achieving? Are you trying to save money, not stop as often or what? The cost of adding another tank vs saving any real money are basically non-existent, driving longer without stopping - why wouldn't you want to stop occasionally? This is one of those "I wish" options that really makes minimal sense unless you could actually order it from the factory for cheap $ or plan to drive for extra long distances without any services (see Steve's blog ;)).

·
Registered
768 Posts
mikemarmar, the OP, has not revealed where home is...

I'd love to have 40 gallons to fill with premium diesel only found 30~ miles across the border at a Wisconsin Agricultural Co-Op.

And, being able to run from Twin Cities to Dallas, Pittsburgh or Yellowstone without stopping for fuel when it is -20°F with 20mph wind seems especially sane this morning.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have two reasons:

- I drive through a lot of areas without services for long distances (sometimes up to 100mi)
- My heat is gasoline based and I don't want to have to worry about running low while camping

·
Super Moderator
10,851 Posts
That makes sense but the simplest and cheapest way is to just find a aux gas tank, vent it and connect it to your main tank with a fuel line on the bottom of each tank so the main tank both draws and fills from both tanks at once. Filling can be problematical for obvious reasons but I've done it before and even had a van with the same setup from the factory. Google (your friend, as always) and eBay havetons of options and price points
http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw...%3D711-53200-19255-0%26rvr_id%3D1149268107869

I would check wrecking yards myself and make something up.

Of course your insurance company may not be too thrilled about it.

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
Many of my friends who live near the US border in Canada have experience in this area. I on the other hand I tend to go to Mexico in the winter for fill ups and to Canada in the summer for Lobster Poutine.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I contacted Ben Winter at Transfer Flow Inc. He responded quickly stating that there is room available in the Promaster gasser for increased fuel tank, but they have not had the market demand to justify designing and building one.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
keeponvaning, that's an interesting idea. Do you think it will mess with any of the van's systems? Will the gas gauge still work? Will it think I have left the filler cap open because the added tank changes the pressure?

Why do you say that filling is problematic? As long as the connection between the tanks is fairly large, it seems like it would just work.

shortone, I also contacted Transfer Flow. They said basically the same thing. No gasoline tanks for the PM, and no intention to make one.

·
Super Moderator
10,851 Posts
It's how it was done pre-EPA days. Just another tank with a vent both connect with a fuel line on the bottom of each tank. The level of fuel equalizes itself in both tanks so only one gauge and pump in the factory tank. Two obvious problems, however, the fuel line between tanks has to be large enough to fill and drain the aux tank fairly rapidly and under today's standards most likely not especially legal (for gas at least) because of environmental concerns.

If it were me and I really wanted a lager fuel supply that's how I would do it, but I don't and won't. Your mileage may vary:)

·
Registered
855 Posts
Spare tank ???

The old E-Line has 2 tanks , would go about 600 miles. 2 for Promaster ? How about a Race car type 15 gal 9" deep cell ,fill from Diesel happy juice hole . Tie vent to main vent and run switched electric fuel pump to "refill" main on the fly ??? Cheep n' fast .
2 cents.

·
Super Moderator
10,851 Posts
Keep in mind that most of these ideas for larger fuel tanks (for gas, at least) do not need any current legal requirements. Just because you can buy something or build something doesn't make it "street legal" for a variety of reasons. The best solution, but one that doesn't seem to be an option, is factory engineered. I'm sure in Europe larger or extra tanks are readily available and meet all applicable EU regulations but North America ain't Europe (in case you haven't noticed)!

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,500 Posts
Fed rules all fuel take offs must be on top. You need to measure the cavities under the van and then search for poly tanks, no metal with ethanol, ebay or where ever. I saw one on ebay with most of what you will need for $175 shipped it was from a Camaro. Or go to a tank shop they will be glad to install one.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I thoroughly enjoyed the 35-gal tank on my now defunct Econoline. Coupled with the underpowered 4.2l V-6, it could go up to 800 miles on a tank (maybe 720 was the max I'd ever done). I really liked it, could fill up cheap and drive all month, skip whole states on xctry trips. Very nice. I even wish it were 40-gal as a 40-gal fill-up at truck stops gets freebies like a free shower.

So I really really would want to increase the standard capacity and in a care-free way. A 10-gal aux tank would be worthwhile, maybe consider going up to 50-gal total cap.

·
Registered
32 Posts
...with the trax3 system for automatic refilling of the main tank.
Not bad, but for me I've decided that if I do this thing, I want it to be transparent as with a larger single tank or a second tank plumbed to feed from/to the main tank in parallel.

The deal for me is, I could just put two 5-gallon jugs in the back and fill and empty for next to no cost and effort up front. So anything short of carefree for me, I'd be thinking just do the fuel jugs and I'm not doing that as I can just find a gas station every couple hundred miles like everyone else.

Found a plastic 14 gallon tank online with the right plumbing and reasonable dimensions once my PM is in my hands to confirm. I really think I can do this. And then there's the Ducato 125l option, but I too would not consider that route without good solid evidence of someone doing so successfully with a PM (gas).

·
Registered
32 Posts
...under today's standards most likely not especially legal (for gas at least) because of environmental concerns.
How so? What am I missing that a second tank plumbed with a large hose at the bottom and plumbed with a vent line at the top to the bottom and top of the main tank would have any effect environmentally? Not challenging your statement, just wondering what I am missing.

I am thinking that not idling in line as much at gas stations as well as opening the filler 1/3 as often would be good for the environment. But hey, I'm the guy who gets dirty looks at the store because I ask for a bag to get my purchase home ON MY BIKE from people who dutifully brought bags to the store IN THEIR HUMMER [scratching head emoticon :) ]

1 - 20 of 30 Posts