Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still conflicted about buying a Promaster. It feels like the right vehicle to convert to a camper but the various problems have me a bit scared of making the purchase

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
As far as I am concerned, I am very happy with my PM.

Ok, I had a suspension bushing squeaking problem, but I stopped by itself.

I did have a recall for that pedal getting stuck. They didn't have the replacing part and, quite frankly, I don't worry one bit. For it to might get stuck, I would have to push the pedal all the way to the floor sideways, something I never do. And if I start to worry, I'll just put a piece a duck tape over the plastic round piece and that's it.

Other than those very minor problems, I have no complains. MPG is great (16 city/19 hwy), turns like a charm, drives like a minivan and, of course, as lots of cargo space.

And I think it looks good.

Would buy it again anytime.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 159" Extended will become a camper. There was some mis-alignment with the rear barn doors, latch on the lower driver's side wasn't latching...bit of air gap on the lower seal. Took it to the local Ram/Dodge dealer, they first assured me anything/everything would be handled by warranty so I shouldn't be worried, had the body shop re-align....had it back later that day. I suspect someone worked "Door hinge magic" like I've seen done with car doors and a block of wood in the hinge area. Some folks are quite skilled with that technique. I don't know or care what they did. Form/fit/function is good enough for me. I'm moving forward. If I get any brake squeak issues I'll work with Porterfield for new Pads (yes, they do a lot of RV business, not just sports/auto-cross and race cars). Mine currently has the partition installed without window....really shows the importance of having those mirrors adjusted which I think do the job nicely. Drives more like my wifes Honda Odyssey than a "Truck". I like it.

·
Registered
654 Posts
For the V-6 gas engine, RAM/Chrysler has done quite well integrating the powertrain into a van for which it was never designed for - and scarcely a complaint on the forums about it (beyond the shifting points - which you can always over ride in semi-manual mode).

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you want to talk about problems, go and buy a Sprinter. I belong to the Sprinter forum and recently sold my '08 3500 for a good premium. That being said, the Sprinter forum members are reporting crap that should not fail on a nearly 50k vehicle. As long as the PM does not lose a driveshaft, ECU, EGR, EGR cooler and three sets of glow plugs, (Had that happen to mine under warranty) then you're good! Oh, lets not forget about the transmission electrical connector on those sprinters...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Picked mine up Friday, 500 Miles on it so far so good. Brakes are squeeking when they are cold is my only real complaint. This is one sweet ride and I am glad that I ordered it and got it the way I wanted. Only option I would pass on next time is the Tom Tom. I use my Garmin it is much more user friendly, better display, more usable features.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been driving our new company PM for just a week. Getting to like it a lot. MPG on second fill of 18.9. 4 mpg than the E150 it replaced. Brakes squeak, sometimes. Shift points seem erratic. Cup holders are stupid.. What were they thinking. Its blazingly quick, turn real well, some wind buffeting. And, as an aging senior getting in and out is a challenge, tho no more so than my Honda Del Sol. A few mechanic buddies laughed when I showed up at their shop stating its the ugliest thing they have ever seen (i like it) and the Bluetooth could be a bit more user friendly. I could see me buying one and converting it into a camper for our Golden Years!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Lovin' it! Other than a few minor "I'd have done things differently" complaints, I think it is well designed. It has plenty of pep with good gas mileage for the size of it (159 wb w/high roof.) Love the low load floor and the fact that I can stand up in it (being 6' tall I never even considered the low roof) but it isn't as tall on the outside as the Sprinter or NPV. I, for one, love the looks, I think we Americans just aren't used to European design. I also am glad I got the deep cherry red, makes it stand out amongst the ubiquitous white vans.

I've been waiting years for something like this to come out. When I read a review back in February I knew this was what I'd been waiting for and ordered one almost immediately. then I saw that I might be waiting a loooooooooong time to get exactly what I wanted option-wise, so I decided to take one off the lot. Glad I did, had it for over a month now and, as I said, I'm lovin' it!

I'm fixing mine up for work and play. So far I've insulated and paneled it and added a hard rubber floor. I'm also running wiring for auxiliary batteries. I'll run a small fridge, additional lights and an inverter off the aux batts. And other things that will come to mind in the future. When on remote adventures I intend to be completely off the grid.

Go get yourself one!

·
Registered
473 Posts
I love mine! I was going to wait for the diesel to come out but a great deal on a slightly damaged van that was optioned almost exactly how I wanted came up and I couldn't pass it up. Turns out the Pentastar V6 is a marvelous engine. I'm getting 17.25-18.5 mpg which is a full 50% improvement over my old GMC and its almost twice as big. The turning circle is amazing too. Parking is so much easier. No more 3 point turns just to park in a normal lot. The driving position and controls take a little getting use to but I think once you do it's a pretty good layout. I think it could be better but it's not a deal breaker for me. All in all I think this is the best van on the market. I don't think Ford's Transit will be better. The low load floor and decent fuel economy are huge advantages for me.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Love it!

After driving a Sprinter for the past nine years, its a welcome change. Mine is a 118 WB, low roof, which I will use for work and play. I have just about 1K miles on it. It is fast, it stops great and I don't have any squeak (yet). But my front wheels are black with brake dust, so I think they went to a softer brake pad. To me this is a non-problem. There are a few things they could change, but nothing that would keep me from buying another one. Seeing this is its first year here in the U.S. I think they have built a great van, and if they listen to their customers it will only get better in the next few years. Bottom line, I love it.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Just this week on Yahoo news, the story broke about some guys compiling statistics on vehicle reliability based on what car dealers find in the real world.

As opposed to someone like Consumer's Report, using surveys by consumers who don't have the expertise professionals, like dealers, have in spotting and knowing where the real problems are on vehicles.

That makes the case for choosing Ram over Ford. Stoked!

Here is the chart on Ram versus Ford trucks.
http://tradeinqualityindex.com/TIQI-PickupYearlyRateOfDefects.png

http://tradeinqualityindex.com/about.html

·
Registered
386 Posts
Just this week on Yahoo news, the story broke about some guys compiling statistics on vehicle reliability based on what car dealers find in the real world.

As opposed to someone like Consumer's Report, using surveys by consumers who don't have the expertise professionals, like dealers, have in spotting and knowing where the real problems are on vehicles.

That makes the case for choosing Ram over Ford. Stoked!

Here is the chart on Ram versus Ford trucks.
http://tradeinqualityindex.com/TIQI-PickupYearlyRateOfDefects.png

http://tradeinqualityindex.com/about.html
i never took consumer reports that seriously anyways

·
Registered
363 Posts
I tend to ignore them, heard about how biased they can be and just overall bad things about them. Depend on other publications, not them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I ordered a $3,410 1964-1/2 fire engine red Mustang convertible ten days after they were introduced to the public April 1964, did not get it until August 10th. The top leaked like a sieve I had to put sheet plastic all over the seats, dash and floor and carried several cheap rain coats and umbrella's .

December when it got cold the paint began to fall off. Both complaints brought a shrug from the dealer.

First time I put luggage in the trunk the fenders sat down on the rear tires. Added GM air shocks at a Chevrolet dealer.

January 1965 I drove to Detroit and went to Ford Headquarters where they refused to leave the 7th floor of their Ivory Tower and come down to the parking lot and look. I drove to Florida where I spent $1,000 on a real top. If Ford did not care about the paint falling off neither did I.

I did drive it until June 1967 when I traded it on a 1967 Chrysler New Yorker. That was fine for 12,000 miles then mileage dropped off to 2 MPG. That was just the first of many, many problems with it. Traded it for a 1970 International-Harvester Scout and have driven light trucks ever since.

Greg Hayden

·
Registered
22 Posts
ProMaster review.

I purchased a PM 2 months ago and haven't looked back. We owned two Sprinters, one was good the other was a piece if $hit. During the 4 years, we spent in excess of $26,000 in maintenance and repairs. Will never own a a Sprinter again.

PM 3500, extended with high roof. We are a Plumbing/HVAC contracting firm. Loaded very heavy and averaging 14-16 MPG, gas engine. Plenty of power, room but a few items need attention.

Brakes squeal from the start of ownership, not getting better.
Rear and passenger door don't always unlock.
Navigation needs a tutorial to use. Works fine once you figure it out.
Mirrors are mounted to low.
Rear partition needs to be mounted 6" behind the seats, can't adjust seat back.
Cup holders are small and on the floor, not very ergonomic.

We spray foam insulated the entire van before covering with 1/4" panelling.

Love the van, great turning radius, plenty of power, front wheel drive, seats are firm and comfortable, Uconnect is awesome, Sirrius radio and Bluetooth phone.

Purchase without regret. Sticker price $43K, fully loaded. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bought mine three weeks ago and already have 3600 miles on it. No problems with the van.

Love the turning radius, ride, room for all of my tools and parts, and fuel economy.

Don't like steering wheel placement, pedal placement, the cup holders, glove box and the lack of storage up front.

Would buy again!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I like my PM. it has 1400 miles on it , I was called in to get the recall fixed. I use mine for family stuff it has a lift for 2 wheelchairs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I seem to hear about brake squeal quite a bit on these. That sort of thing drives me nuts! Has Dodge come up or announced a fix or has anyone just replaced their pads out of frustration with a better alternative?

Hoping to buy a PM before the end of summer for our business but hoping there is a fix for this. I did not mind it on our 2003 Isuzu NPR but it was older and medium duty and hearing a brake noise in a new truck will make my blood run cold every month when the payment is due!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts