Ram Promaster Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
If you're really attached, do it, but be prepared to pay import duty, VAT and the expense of meeting certain EU requirements, such as lighting, etc.. But yes, there are a lot of American cars in Europe; some original imports and some brought over later. Lots of older/collectible/classic US cars end up in Europe. It's not really difficult. I think selling your van here and building another there is more pragmatic. I strongly suspect that building it out the second time will be much quicker, and you can make changes to improve over the current one.

· Registered
2 Posts
I live in the States 6 months a year and in France 6 months a year. Every Ducato like van in France that I have seen, Citroen, Peugeot and Iveco have all had different engines and transmissions than the Promaster. I'm in the process of building out a Promaster yet if I moved to France full time, I would sell it and buy a van there and convert it. Temporary importation for up to a year would be fine but after that you will owe VAT and have trouble if you need engine and transmission parts. I have yet to see a petrol van or one with an automatic transmission. Eventually you may want to sell it in Europe and you will have an oddball that won't be desirable to a European buyer.

· Registered
2014 Silver 136" HT 2500 Gas conversion
68 Posts
We had to pay 22% import duty on the cost of the Transit including the shipping charge! Then they subjected that total figure to another 20% purchase tax (which we claim back as a business purchase!)"
Yikes, import duty and purchase tax! Sounds like it could really add up.
You didn't say why you are going to France, or how long you have to stay. Perhaps you could contact US military bases in Europe and ask their experience, or if a large corporation is taking you there contact employees or personnel management there who could put you in touch with other USians who have imported vehicles. Good luck!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts