Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ram Promaster 2500 159WB
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I bought the van 18 months, and completed its conversion a few months back. I now have to move to France and after all the work I put in it, I would highly prefer to bring the van with me. I've read some information on the web, but none from a person who has done it recently. Since the Ram promaster is a derivative of the Fiat Ducato, I'm hopeful it should be possible minus the shipping cost, a few modifications, ... Anyone with some experience in this?

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
2,065 Posts
Having taken a car to Germany years ago (USAF) I can say it will be extremely difficult to get anyone to work on your US engine/transmission. After a few months I sold my car to a fellow GI that was heading back to the US with it and bought German cars after that. Your van could be sitting for months just waiting on parts, assuming you can fix it yourself or find a mechanic that knows anything about the drivetrain, which is highly unlikely. You might be able to recoup much of your investment selling it here, then buy something local over there. Another factor is size. Many of the most scenic roads through historic towns and villages are very narrow and it would be impossible to get a big van down many of them.

Sky Cloud Building Window Road surface

Rotenburg ob der Tauber

·
Registered
2017 159" High Roof
541 Posts
Hello,

I bought the van 18 months, and completed its conversion a few months back. I now have to move to France and after all the work I put in it, I would highly prefer to bring the van with me. I've read some information on the web, but none from a person who has done it recently. Since the Ram promaster is a derivative of the Fiat Ducato, I'm hopeful it should be possible minus the shipping cost, a few modifications, ... Anyone with some experience in this?
I don’t have any experience, but when I was visiting Costa Rica I remember seeing one or two converted high top vans with European tags. I would think that if it’s not too cost prohibitive for vacationers to bring them across the Atlantic, then it should be worth it to you to bring it with you if you’re moving.

I think the vans were Mercedes-Benz Sprinters, though, which is more of an international mechanic-friendly drivetrain. If the move is going to be temporary and/or the van is newish, maybe you could roll the dice on not needing any major repairs for a while, but it’s going to be more difficult as the van ages.

You could always get a quote and put it up for sale at whatever price it no longer becomes worth it for you to take it with you. I have two years of my life tied up in building my van, so I understand keeping it from a sentimental standpoint. If I were you, I would probably try to sell it at a price that I would feel good about letting it go. Having already built a van, I could probably do the next one in half the time without any of the mistakes I made last time.

·
Registered
2021 Ram Promaster 2500 159WB
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the replies. The reason I'm "optimistic" is because the Ram Promaster is the "same" as the Fiat Ducato sold in Europe. And that makes sense because the Chrysler brand (who owns Dodge and Ram) is currently part of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles. I remember reading that Fiat developed the Fiat Ducato and rebranding as Ram Promaster, Peugeot Boxer, ... I guess to leverage the cost of development.

·
Registered
2016 136 HT Gasser
439 Posts
Another aspect to consider would be EU vehicle regulations/registration. Even the size, shape and color of bananas is regulated by bureaucrats in Brussels! What may in fact be the "same" mechanically might not translate to the "same" in terms of testing and certification, especially as your van has been modified.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
7,691 Posts
Thank you for the replies. The reason I'm "optimistic" is because the Ram Promaster is the "same" as the Fiat Ducato sold in Europe. And that makes sense because the Chrysler brand (who owns Dodge and Ram) is currently part of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles. I remember reading that Fiat developed the Fiat Ducato and rebranding as Ram Promaster, Peugeot Boxer, ... I guess to leverage the cost of development.
You are correct as to the body, but the drive train is individual to each brand. Actually, the body was a coordinated design project between Fiat, Peugeot, and Citroen. Absolutely brilliant.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in Indiana
6,419 Posts
There's a guy in Poland with an imported Promaster, IIRC he was trying to find a transmission.

French citizen importing an American vehicle is one thing.
A foreigner visiting France with an American vehicle is another thing.

You would also need to source parts, like this, based in Netherlands.
62TE | CHRYSLER, DODGE | automatic transmission parts | Transmission parts

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Only partly true. The Promaster has a Fiat Ducato (Citroen Jumper, Peugeot Boxer) body, but the engine and trans-axle are purely NAmerican Chrysler, not European. The European vans have different engines and transmissions. Most of those are diesel with manual transmissions. Just because Chrysler and Fiat are owned by the same company, Stellantis, doesn't mean French repair shops will have the parts or technical expertise for our NAmerican Chrysler engine. Perhaps you should contact a Fiat (or Citroen) dealer in the town where you will be living and ask. It's a Chrysler 3.6 ltr Pentastar engine and a 62TE automatic trans-axle. Also look into the implications for your warranty.

As much as it would hurt to sell it, you could get a very good price for it here in this market. And with the Euro down now, you could maybe even afford a nice ready-made European Class B (or B+).

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in Indiana
6,419 Posts
The more I look at these "Promaster's going to Europe" threads I keep finding more European sources for repairs. I mean there is a dealer network over there, NA models with NA engines and transmission, conforming to EU standards. So there are shops available, with that said you have to know where to get repairs done and be more resourceful.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Emissions, that's a dark rabbit hole 😜
Can't even register a vehicle in California that's built in the USA if it doesn't have Manufacturer's California Emissions Compliance sticker .

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in Indiana
6,419 Posts
This was a Transit 3.5l Ecoboost imported to Britain.
Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel Number

later he posted this-
"The insurance was a little tricky, they were a little surprised that Ford factory build a Transit with over 300 bhp, they got over it and it's all sorted"

"The paper work ended up being easy, it's down to finding the right people who know how to play the game."

"Inport duty is an issue, in the U.K. At the moment the media are getting excited by the fact that Mr Trump wants to tax vehicles imported from the UK. Now pay attention to this:
We had to pay 22% import duty on the cost of the Transit including the shipping charge! Then they subjected that total figure to another 20% purchase tax (which we claim back as a business purchase!)"

Dodges for sale in France
Used Dodge cars France
Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel Number

·
Registered
2014 hightop 3500
55 Posts
I believe that the Chrysler mini vans were exported to Europe so they should have mechanics that work on those. Same engine and trans. I know Jeeps are exported there.
In 2007 I rented a new Chrysler minivan in Pisa italy. It was regular ol' American style but with a stick-shift turbo diesel. Daimler put there own mill under the hood for the European market. I would not bring a gas hog like my promaster to Europe. Get a Citroën diesel van and build it out. They get almost 2x the milage as a gas promaster. I drove one in Iceland last year. Awesome little "bus". Russ

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
2,065 Posts
Yes, the VW ID.Buzz/California (although smaller) would be great over there!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts