Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2015 diesel 2500
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm stuck at a laundromat washing a van load of dirty dog blankets so I have time to ponder. Wondering if Ram discontinues producing diesel Promasters will it adversely affect resale value or just the opposite? Desirability, parts availability and unicorn status all play a part.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
Mitsubishi (Cantor) Trucks here, Iveco in U-rup, also used in marine and stationary uses.

I think it would become a highly desired difficult to find and desirable used vehicle. A mythological van which will get 26+ MPG lasts 500K miles and you couldn’t find one to buy anywhere!

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
GRRRR-GG Stop baiting me KOV or I’ll cut you off from beer and those fish taco’s IT IS AVAILABLE EVERYWHERE AND YOU **** WELL KNOW IT!

·
Super Moderator
10,689 Posts
I understand MickyD's is having a sale on used bio D. Does Gas Buddy show them also? I'm just trying to understand this diesel love thingy ;)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Mitsubishi (Cantor) Trucks here, Iveco in U-rup, also used in marine and stationary uses.

I think it would become a highly desired difficult to find and desirable used vehicle. A mythological van which will get 26+ MPG lasts 500K miles and you couldn’t find one to buy anywhere!

mythological is correct. I dont think the 26+ mpg is sustainable for long distance. I have had some tank fulls at that and even higher; however even at that my long term is still only 23.7 mpg. There maybe somebody on fuelly with a slightly higher mpg but not by much. anybody less than 50k miles is not a credible source for fuel mileage verification. 500k life? There have been a few that i have seen for sale with 175k to 250k miles and I have a friend with just over 200k on his. But all I have seen have had transmissions replaced. Read that again ALL have had the transmissions replaced, most at or near the 100k mark. My friend now has injector issues that require a new head, mine is at the shop for ball joints and cv axles. The estimate for repair on mine is $3750 and parts are on order but not expected in till late next week. So I get a 2 week no work vacation again. Look up the value on KBB mine with 150k miles is about $7200, I still owe $23000. If there was something else worth buying I would be willing to take the loss and move on. The 400 mile range of the gas promaster cost me too much per mile to make money and some on here are not anymore reliable that what i got. The new sprinter, cost too much and is unreliable too. Transit? ha, have you driven one? no thanks. a coworker has one with a diesel it get about 20mpg average. Its sad that in my drive way are 2 Ford 7.3 diesels one with 410k and the other at about 230k miles and they run fine and need nothing. They are just not large enough for my job; i need a high top with that 68" door height. The 07 sprinter is retired now with a bad motor but its at 840k miles. Sure seems that 10 to 20 years ago was the best diesels.
:eek:

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
I fall in your category of not reliable fuel verification. I do calculate fuel mpg from fill up gal and miles when I refuel but I have “only” 33K miles in nearly 2 years, so I guess I don’t count. I do have a lifetime average of 25.96 mpg and have never had one tank of less than 24 so my mileage is better than yours but since I don’t use your app I know my results can be disregarded.
I have noticed I get considerably better fuel mileage when I don’t use the cruise control. For repeat trips I have recorded 2+mpg better with it off. Too many other factors can affect mileage to defend that, fact wise, so I don’t make much of it. If I wanted to get 23.7 perhaps I could if I ran 75-80 mph, with cruise on and a 1,000 lbs. more in the van. However if those with gassers did the same I doubt they would be getting 17mpg and the diesel would still get 140% or better fuel mileage. This is my real point here. This diesel gets MUCH better fuel mileage than the gas engine and it needs to as it cost more to buy and the fuel is generally more.
My 500K lifetime for the ENGINE was related to this engine in high mileage Cantors not in this van as probably no one has gone that far.
Hey it could be worse. Kip is on his THIRD engine in one of his gassers! Would that be better?

·
Registered
Diesel PM, 2015, 2500 hi-top
142 Posts
My dealer says Diesel ProMasters production in Mexico discontinued "temporarily"? Anybody have other reliable info about this? I love my diesel ProMaster, 38K miles, 26 mpg average (would be 28 if I didn't tow) but I drive slow and never use Automatic, nor do I use cruise control, and I totally avoid high speed Interstates or any highspeed roads if I can avoid it (use back roads instead). No problems so far; initial CELs the first 3 mths of ownership in 2015 but the dealer did a software upgrade and no issues since then. Hope to keep this van another 15 years!

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
That's an option that's not available in NH or AZ
What? Somebody jerk my chain? Just so we are clear- This diesel is the best thing since Rudolf Diesel did Nikolaus Otto one better! No F’n microwave, Leatherman will save your A$$, diesel is EVERYWHERE! Sorry for yelling.

Trecilla, there have been no diesels in US this year (2017) in any Rams as FCA got into some hot issues with EPA over the programming. That update they gave your van may have been the problem. I don’t know that but just say’n.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts