Ram Promaster Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2021 1500 136"WB High top
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
September should be great. We find the ponies to be really lazy (just hanging around the parking lot, etc) in the heat of summer. One time we were there off season and they were a little scary running on the beach. We jumped off our blanket and they ran right over it. LOL
It sounds surreal. This could be my new favorite place on the planet.

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
1,816 Posts
Since I have the 50', I'll take it and get that holder, thanks. Extension cords really jumped in price!

EDIT: @h1k3rb That rack is for 16 gauge. is a 16 okay to use for shore power?
Says you can fit 150' of the thinner cord but it should be big enough for 50' of heavier gauge. There are others around too, like this:

Just do a search and look around until you find one that matches your décor. ;-)

·
Registered
2021 118 low, Black
251 Posts
Is is legal to anyone? I'm not. big pot smoker, but...
Yes, complete and open retail. Literally a retail store, much like an Apple store. Show your ID to the bouncer, and the comely ladies will help you select the product you want. Since the feds still mess with the banking, bring cash.

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
719 Posts
Is is legal to anyone? I'm not. big pot smoker, but...
I can’t smoke pot either, try a THC tincture instead. Easy to dose, safer in my opinion. Start with just a few drops and enjoy the relaxation.

Reactions: mtiberio

·
Registered
2020 White 1500 LR 118" WB
86 Posts
@Lolaeliz - I shot the video linked below on the last day of a sea kayaking training course held a while back in the Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge. The first few days I had been on the lookout for the ponies but never saw them. The last day though there they were, and what an encounter it turned out to be.

The Wild Ones

I will be working a 3-month lead kayaking guide gig @ Fenwick Island, Delaware, starting in July. The outfit does a tour in the Assateague Island National Seashore, as well as other nature tours via kayak. If you're interested in further details, DM me and I will forward you some information.

·
Registered
193 Posts
In CT the Merritt Pkwy & Wilbur Cross Pkwy are not a big issue and the bridges are high enough. They prohibit commercial vehicles and vehicles over 7500 pounds and 8'... no mention of RVs on the signs. You should be OK... I use the parkways, as do many other vans.

In NY, anything with "parkway" in it's name is specifically called out as "no trucks" - only passenger cars. They allow some NY pickup trucks to get passenger plates and use the parkways, but no trucks, vans, or anything commercial is allowed. They do not recognize CT combination plates (for RVs) a passenger plate so they are a no-go. The bridges on some NY parkways are very low... I'd stay off NY "parkways" if your plates do no say passenger and/or if the size limits apply.

Depending on where you are on LI, you may choose to take the Port Jefferson - Bridgeport ferry to I-95 in CT. That is not cheap, but cuts out hours of driving through some pretty congested NY areas near NYC. They take vans... probably about $80, you'd can call them to get the details. With the price of gas, that may not be too bad... BeaR is OK !

Home - The Bridgeport and Port Jefferson Steamboat Company
i second the port jeff ferry best $80 you’ll ever spend to avoid NYC traffic and construction, special events etc. once ( never ever ever again) got stuck headed upstate after a yankee game. my patience with humanity was gone after about 3 miles and that was after 2 hours on the LIE

·
Registered
436 Posts
We spent one night at the Assateague Island National Seashore Campground - Loop 1, 17 on oceanside in April. It was great! Had the wild ponies (and a Sitka deer!) come into the campground. Just a tip: bring a shovel if you're camping on the oceanside next to the dunes. Half of our space was covered with sand, but fortunately, we managed to back in so we could get out (let's hear it for FWD!). In fact, we started seeing the ponies as soon as we crossed the bridge over to the island. The ponies on the Virginia side are kept in a pen - not totally wild since they're given supplemental food and vet exams. The Maryland ponies are totally wild. It was also nice because the place wasn't overrun by tourists at that time. Have fun!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
We spent one night at the Assateague Island National Seashore Campground - Loop 1, 17 on oceanside in April. It was great! Had the wild ponies (and a Sitka deer!) come into the campground. Just a tip: bring a shovel if you're camping on the oceanside next to the dunes. Half of our space was covered with sand, but fortunately, we managed to back in so we could get out (let's hear it for FWD!). In fact, we started seeing the ponies as soon as we crossed the bridge over to the island. The ponies on the Virginia side are kept in a pen - not totally wild since they're given supplemental food and vet exams. The Maryland ponies are totally wild. It was also nice because the place wasn't overrun by tourists at that time. Have fun!
Oh I can't wait!! I'm 008, Oceanside Loop 1. I will back on. What was the shovel for? did the san cover a drivespace and you had to shovel to get level?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Joe & Joesphine Somewhen bombed the Assateague Island site we stayed at for a week... with a hundred soiled baby diapers buried just under the surface of the sand... they were everywhere, under the table, at borders near dunes, getting shafted bt tent pegs ---- be suspicious of anyone with a shovel out and kids!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Oh I can't wait!! I'm 008, Oceanside Loop 1. I will back on. What was the shovel for? did the san cover a drivespace and you had to shovel to get level?
We didn't have a shovel, but could have used it to shovel out some of the sand that covered almost half of the back of the site. It all worked out.

If I remember correctly, site 8 is on the inside of the loop, so you shouldn't have as much difficulty. Have fun!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
We didn't have a shovel, but could have used it to shovel out some of the sand that covered almost half of the back of the site. It all worked out.

If I remember correctly, site 8 is on the inside of the loop, so you shouldn't have as much difficulty. Have fun!
You're right! It's not on the beach. I'm a little bummed.
Map Water Terrestrial plant Font Parallel

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I have read of campsites n the beach, 1 in California and couple in Baja....but are there any on the east coast besides keys where not much land. Anybody know of any?

KOA on north Hatteras Island has some sites with a dune between campsite and beach.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I have read of campsites n the beach, 1 in California and couple in Baja....but are there any on the east coast besides keys where not much land. Anybody know of any?

KOA on north Hatteras Island has some sites with a dune between campsite and beach.
The one I'm going to! It's a state park campsite, so it's just $30 / night, nonelectric. I'm sure there are more. The problem is they're all booed way in advance.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts