Ram Promaster Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2021 1500 136"WB High top
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
In CT the Merritt Pkwy & Wilbur Cross Pkwy are not a big issue and the bridges are high enough. They prohibit commercial vehicles and vehicles over 7500 pounds and 8'... no mention of RVs on the signs. You should be OK... I use the parkways, as do many other vans.

In NY, anything with "parkway" in it's name is specifically called out as "no trucks" - only passenger cars. They allow some NY pickup trucks to get passenger plates and use the parkways, but no trucks, vans, or anything commercial is allowed. They do not recognize CT combination plates (for RVs) a passenger plate so they are a no-go. The bridges on some NY parkways are very low... I'd stay off NY "parkways" if your plates do no say passenger and/or if the size limits apply.

Depending on where you are on LI, you may choose to take the Port Jefferson - Bridgeport ferry to I-95 in CT. That is not cheap, but cuts out hours of driving through some pretty congested NY areas near NYC. They take vans... probably about $80, you'd can call them to get the details. With the price of gas, that may not be too bad... BeaR is OK !

Home - The Bridgeport and Port Jefferson Steamboat Company
I decided to go to ASSATEAGUE ISLAND NATIONAL SEASHORE CAMPGROUND in MD. I found a state park on the beach for $30 / night. And it's an island where horses run wild! For beach area camp sites for the simmer months I should have made reservations a month ago.

I think the turnpike area in NY that goes from NJ to CT might be part of the parkway system -- and what I took coming to and from CT.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
if NY area suggest take wide berth around
like i84....Maryland now is good...
Chincoteague is actually in Virginia
U can just follow 13 to cape charles....around cape Charles is state park and a koa
bring ur fishing rod.....the ExxonMobil station 2-3 from cape has great crab cakes

·
Registered
136" High Roof
171 Posts
I decided to go to ASSATEAGUE ISLAND NATIONAL SEASHORE CAMPGROUND in MD. I found a state park on the beach for $30 / night. And it's an island where horses run wild! For beach area camp sites for the simmer months I should have made reservations a month ago.

I think the turnpike area in NY that goes from NJ to CT might be part of the parkway system -- and what I took coming to and from CT.
We've been to Assateague many times as my parents had a summer place about 20 minutes away. If I remember correctly, the camping area close to the beach is in full sun. Black flies were a summer issue unless it was a breezy day. The bathrooms are nice and the beach itself is beautiful. Have fun!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
We've been to Assateague many times as my parents had a summer place about 20 minutes away. If I remember correctly, the camping area close to the beach is in full sun. Black flies were a summer issue unless it was a breezy day. The bathrooms are nice and the beach itself is beautiful. Have fun!
Full sun won’t be so bad because I have a non electric spot for 3 days and I like the heat. Plus there’s usually done ocean breeze. Where do The horses run free? I hope I can find a place to ride a horse! (Sounds like I’ll be using the door screens…)

·
Registered
34 Posts
In CT the Merritt Pkwy & Wilbur Cross Pkwy are not a big issue and the bridges are high enough. They prohibit commercial vehicles and vehicles over 7500 pounds and 8'... no mention of RVs on the signs. You should be OK... I use the parkways, as do many other vans.

In NY, anything with "parkway" in it's name is specifically called out as "no trucks" - only passenger cars. They allow some NY pickup trucks to get passenger plates and use the parkways, but no trucks, vans, or anything commercial is allowed. They do not recognize CT combination plates (for RVs) a passenger plate so they are a no-go. The bridges on some NY parkways are very low... I'd stay off NY "parkways" if your plates do no say passenger and/or if the size limits apply.

Depending on where you are on LI, you may choose to take the Port Jefferson - Bridgeport ferry to I-95 in CT. That is not cheap, but cuts out hours of driving through some pretty congested NY areas near NYC. They take vans... probably about $80, you'd can call them to get the details. With the price of gas, that may not be too bad... BeaR is OK !

Home - The Bridgeport and Port Jefferson Steamboat Company
we were originally planning to use our old van up to Maine and trying to piecemeal the parkway restrictions made it clear to just go 287->95 for us.
I definitely recall seeing a “no rv or trailers” warning on a sign near CT. But then clearly saw class b conversions.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
7,277 Posts
We carry one of these and use it often. It's not unusual for the 30A to work and the15A not.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
We carry one of these and use it often. It's not unusual for the 30A to work and the15A not.

Just ordered it, thanks. How long is your extension chord? I have the 12 gauge 50'. is that too long?

·
Registered
2018-2500-159" aka Sun2 -NE Ohio
214 Posts
"Wild Ponies" HA!
We were camped there several years ago. I was sitting with a nice hot cup of (flowery) herbal tea. I heard something and as I turned my head there it was. A "wild" pony that was just about to reach over my shoulder for a sip of my tea.

Ticks... It was September. The ticks were bad. Just sayin... Watch out if you are around shrubs and bushes. Check your furry friend.

Reactions: jackg48104

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
"Wild Ponies" HA!
We were camped there several years ago. I was sitting with a nice hot cup of (flowery) herbal tea. I heard something and as I turned my head there it was. A "wild" pony that was just about to reach over my shoulder for a sip of my tea.

Ticks... It was September. The ticks were bad. Just sayin... Watch out if you are around shrubs and bushes. Check your furry friend.
Good advise on the ticks. I'll be there in sept also. all the summer slots were booked. I'm so excited about this place!! I'm a water girl -- lakes, rivers, oceans... just looking at them is joyful. traveling alone I'm not so inclined to go on hikes, so finding places with water is good way of using my van.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Depending on the available outlet at the site... you should be fine. I forgot if the input you put on your van is a regular plug or a 30A plug?
It has a 30A plug with a 15A adapter that screws in. And my extension chord is regular 15A. @MsNomer posted a link to a 30A -->15A adapter that I ordered. So I think I'm now set no matter what.

I made a reservation for another PA state park, with a spot by the lake! I'm going July 5-7
LOCUST LAKE STATE PARK, PA

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
1,816 Posts
Some campsites are not level where you can easily fit a 25' cord so I started taking a 50' along as well and it's really made a difference being able park in a more level spot on the site, or to turn the van around for more privacy, better view, etc. The bigger cord winds up small and is easy to handle with something as simple as this.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Some campsites are not level where you can easily fit a 25' cord so I started taking a 50' along as well and it's really made a difference being able park in a more level spot on the site, or to turn the van around for more privacy, better view, etc. The bigger cord winds up small and is easy to handle with something as simple as this.

Since I have the 50', I'll take it and get that holder, thanks. Extension cords really jumped in price!

EDIT: @h1k3rb That rack is for 16 gauge. is a 16 okay to use for shore power?

·
Registered
136" High Roof
171 Posts
WOW!!!!! that is so cool!! All the summer slots at the camp ground were full, so I'm going in sept.
September should be great. We find the ponies to be really lazy (just hanging around the parking lot, etc) in the heat of summer. One time we were there off season and they were a little scary running on the beach. We jumped off our blanket and they ran right over it. LOL

21 - 40 of 56 Posts