Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I keep forgetting my password so many times, that I've been MIA here on the ProMaster forum. Having a brain laced with MS lesions, being an old codger and smoking too many cigars, and bifocals that don't work well with a tiny laptop - has made me rather inept at logging in. FINALLY today (7-21-19) I somehow managed to get back on the forum.

Looking at the various posts, I'm thinking a lot of folks here are rocket scientists. I was reading up on the lithium battery topic and learned a few things from several posters.

Here is what I'm up to with my long and very tall ProMaster...

I've added a solar panel to the roof. I didn't want to drill any holes in the top of my van to mount the panel on, so I fabricated a really "innovative" (AKA weird) way of putting the panel on the top rear end of the van using some wicked powerful magnets. The panel is elevated about 3 inches above the roof, allowing air to flow underneath it as I'm driving and while parked. My ProMaster is granite gray, and it gets very hot when sun is out. It's wicked hot here in Texas.

Prior to finishing the installation, I drove like a mad man for a couple of months, on lonely rural roads to see if the magnets would hold the panel on the roof. They have done a very good job. What didn't work well though, the magnets (rare earth) managed to develop some rust on the bottom surface. I only discovered the rust issues when I darned near knocked the solar panel off when driving my ProMaster through a fast food joint, having a low canopy. Didn't damage the canopy at the drive-up-window, but moved my panel caddy-whompas and it was partially dislodged, with one of the corners of the "contraption" hanging off the top of the roof. I got home and pulled the panel off (I have electric winches in my barn for lifting it) and I'm back to having to remount the panel. Already repainted the scratch marks on the roof.

"AGM batteries" is new to me, as I found on one of the posts here on the forum, and I'll be buying some for my solar project.

I'll try and add a few photos later and probably post a video on YouTube or one of the other video hosting sites.

I added some vortex generators to the top of the solar panel to help create a laminar flow of air in order to reduce turbulent air that might create unwanted lift on the solar panel. A lot of our highways here have 75 MPH speed limits and at these speeds, coupled with "bodacious" winds we have here (Texas is the wind turbine capitol of the USA because of constant winds) I think the vortex generators have aided in keeping the solar panel in place. (I installed vortex generators on one of my airplanes and they were incredible, thus my "logic" in thinking they would work well on my solar panel.)

If I can remember my password, I'll report again on my progress in a few weeks. I just have to remember where in the devil I put the keys to my ProMaster :( so I can take it out for another spin after I reinstall the solar panel... At my age, each morning when I go out the door, I wonder, "Did I put my underwear on" after I shower and get dressed to go outside for my chores.

(I wish I was 18 again and had a ProMaster and wasn't so stupid to drive under a low hanging canopy at the fast food place... )

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Get Roboform that's what I use to fill pass words and make a back up every so often of your Roboform data file. Complicated passwords should only be used for banking and personal data. Take a picture of lets say your local school and put in a photo album and use the school name and street address as the password let the photo be your reminder of your roboform password just do it all the same and don't mix the format up it will just confuse you. With my roboform it only fills the front part of the pass word. I fill the back half and is the same for all my passwords. That's so if my form filler is compromised they still don't have my password.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've been absent for a while as well, but no MS, cigars, bifocals, or old age for an excuse! Really I guess it's just life and laziness getting in my way.

Hibernated for the winter, got very little work done on the van. Springtime brought a lot of work, moving our of our house and info our duplex, getting the house ready to list.

So screw it! Even though it's been hotter than the seven blue blazes of ****, I've been working on the van. Walls and ceiling just about finished, and put down the flooring soon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
welcome back! keep your passwords saved in a chrome browser (or firefox or safari, they all have this features)
its a lot easier!!
don't disappear from here again! :D

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Those magnets are a baaad idea because of the rust issue. I learned with the Weboost antenna, which is minor compared to your setup. Even small magnets I was using inside caused a buildup of rusting particles on the outside of the metal.

Our VHB tape is holding well, but it was attached carefully in hot weather.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts