Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all! I just thought I'd share what I've been up to on my home away from home. It's a 2017 PM 2500, high roof, 159 wheelbase, gasser. I've had it roughly 6 months and this is the second configuration I've made up. I didn't have a lot of time to dedicate to a build-out, but the emphasis was to be able to just get on the road quickly and enjoyably. I've put on about 26k miles so far and loving every minute of it.

The most substantial upgrade so far has been the floor. I put in a 1/2 inch Polyiso board, 1/2 inch plywood (3 sections of roughly 4x6 to use the tie down bolts for securing) and cut a sheet of laminate to fit (well, I tried at least). I had previously been using horse mats from Rural king cut in the same configuration. I actually quite liked them, but the new setup feels much more like a home.

I titled this an "Ikea Build", because they've been my go-to for getting my furniture cheaply. The kid's bunk bed here was less than $120 and gives me plenty of space for my electric bike and storage underneath. The dresser is actually a shoe storage cabinet and give me a TON of storage space for a slim profile. That cost about $100. The shoe bench is great for getting ready in the mornings and cost $50.

If anyone is starting out and doesn't have either the time or the money to dedicate to a major build, maybe this will give some ideas of a low-cost solution.

As you can see from the rattle trap - insulation, fan and wall are next on the to-do list.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Not just yet on charging "directly" from the van- I have a jumper/battery charger that has a built-in inverter on it from Costco (lower left in pic) that I can use in a pinch, but it's primarily used for LED lights. I tend to go for shorter 3-5 day trips and the battery in my electric bike is a fairly decent size. With the pedal assist, I can get 40-50 miles out of it on a single charge, so it hasn't been an issue yet.

But along with the other pieces "yet to build" includes wiring and an AGM battery. I don't plan on doing solar because I travel/drive so frequently on my trips that I can likely get along with charging it from the alternator.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
That is exactly how I picture us starting out! Totally usable, yet easily reconfigured if a different layout suits your fancy. I plan on using “temporary” for awhile to figure out what we like or want or need in a permanent layout. It’s beautiful!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks! Not just yet on charging "directly" from the van- I have a jumper/battery charger that has a built-in inverter on it from Costco (lower left in pic) that I can use in a pinch, but it's primarily used for LED lights. I tend to go for shorter 3-5 day trips and the battery in my electric bike is a fairly decent size. With the pedal assist, I can get 40-50 miles out of it on a single charge, so it hasn't been an issue yet.

But along with the other pieces "yet to build" includes wiring and an AGM battery. I don't plan on doing solar because I travel/drive so frequently on my trips that I can likely get along with charging it from the alternator.
I like your dog stand....we just put ours on top of cooler.....

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2018 159 High Roof gas, BC, Canada
1,404 Posts
I like this build. That Ikea bunk bed could be useful if it could be "hacked". That is, if I could take a hacksaw to it and make it narrower (I don't need a huge bed to sleep in). And I'd use a memory foam mattress cut to the final size the hacked up bed ended up being.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts