Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 136wb Promaster.

My key will only come out of the ignition if I attempt to take it out right away and don’t pause in the position between engine running and the key removal position.

To describe the problem another way…

Often when I park, I will turn the key one position counterclockwise to turn off the engine but not remove it right away. After some amount of time, I will turn it one more position counterclockwise when I am ready to get out of the van.

But the key will not come out in the key removal position. To get the key out, I have to turn it back clockwise one position to where the instrument lights come back on, and then immediately back to the key removal position and the key will come out normal.

Is this the way the Promaster is designed or is it something that should be fixed.

It seems like extra wear and tear on not only the key slot but also turning the ignition back onto the point where several components are energized is a bad long term idea.

If it is designed this way, can someone explain to me why they designed it this way, so I can feel better about having to go through these steps.

Thanks

·
Registered
918 Posts
I have a 2017 136wb Promaster.

My key will only come out of the ignition if I attempt to take it out right away and don’t pause in the position between engine running and the key removal position.

To describe the problem another way…

Often when I park, I will turn the key one position counterclockwise to turn off the engine but not remove it right away. After some amount of time, I will turn it one more position counterclockwise when I am ready to get out of the van.

But the key will not come out in the key removal position. To get the key out, I have to turn it back clockwise one position to where the instrument lights come back on, and then immediately back to the key removal position and the key will come out normal.

Is this the way the Promaster is designed or is it something that should be fixed.

It seems like extra wear and tear on not only the key slot but also turning the ignition back onto the point where several components are energized is a bad long term idea.

If it is designed this way, can someone explain to me why they designed it this way, so I can feel better about having to go through these steps.

Thanks
when my battery failed I could not remove key.....had to wait 10 minutes or so......have your battery checked.....yeah yeah I see that u have '17 model....get your battery checked

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have new 2018 and it works the same way. My battery is basically brand new. Don't know why it's works that way.:| jus' duz.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The key is electronically locked in place and and after you turn off the engine the lock is open until the power is shut off to the dash/overhead lights. it is set this way so it doesn't drain the battery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts