Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Hey I use that exact sink in our galley, homebuilt galley of course!

·
Super Moderator
10,196 Posts
Actually IKEA cabinets are junk plastic covered particleboard and no real bargain. If you have even minimal woodworking skills, a cheap table saw and pocket screw jig from HF anyone can build good, lasting cabinets that will last and not shake or fall apart. It's not rocket science even if you have never tried it before and IKEA cabinets are not cheap considering what they are. Now their sinks, lights and many other things are good quality and priced fairly but cabinets -NO WAY!

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
I get it that some here are thinking this is a way to avoid learning a new skill but I tend towards KOV’s thought. If you must instal cabinets the beauty of IKEA is the flexibility and planning. If they just made a line of real wood cabinets all would be good. I have moved my daughter a few times and she always seems to have an IKEA desk or cabinet that she wants to go to the dump. I just kick the upper side and the whole thing collapses back into a flat item. I don’t want that to happen behind me when the van bumps into something, that particle board stuff is heavy! But if you have no choice............

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,269 Posts
Yea, way to go, criticize her build. I think it's a clever use of materials.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's not me. I've just had so many people look at my build and it's obvious they wouldn't have a clue how to build anything. What comes so naturally and easily to us is an impenetrable fog to many people.

And IKEA does make some solid wood/ply furniture.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,269 Posts
I hope no one is offended. I just found some of the replies odd. If she was a member would the replies be different? anyway thanks for the link.

·
Super Moderator
10,196 Posts
Yea, way to go, criticize her build. I think it's a clever use of materials.
Hardly a criticism Phil, just a fact. As I pointed out you can easily build qualty durable cabinets from scratch with simple, inexpensive tools and minimal skill. I would be remiss in not pointing this out to someone who doesn't know any better. If someone wants to use poor materials to do a job that's their business but pointing it out is only being helpful to those who don't know any better. I happen to know better and as RD has also pointed out those unassembled, partial board, plastic covered cabinets would fold up like a paper bag in the wind in an accident. So, clever, sort of, good idea, no, durable, most defiantly not. The choice is yours to make and live with.

And, I was specifically talking about the style cabinet being used nothing else. IKEA happens to make a lot of clever, if not so, so quality, products plus some quality mercendise, as MsNomer has pointed out, that they don't exactly give away. I've happen to have used many items I purchased at IKEA in my conversion but cabinets - no, never!

·
Super Moderator
10,196 Posts
I hope no one is offended. I just found some of the replies odd. If she was a member would the replies be different? anyway thanks for the link.
Nothing odd in pointing out facts to people who don't know any better. Listen to what people who know what they are talking about and you may learn something yourself. I happen to know cabinets but there are lots of things others here know and are very happy to share with us all and I'm pleased to learn from them.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,269 Posts
When I read your reply I read it as trashing her build/choice of materials. If this was her thread you would have replied the same way.

·
Super Moderator
10,196 Posts
When I read your reply I read it as trashing her build/choice of materials. If this was her thread you would have replied the same way.
Phil as a moderator here I have an obligation and duty to all the members to point out when unsuitable information is posted and why it's unsuitable. You may call it "trashing" but I call it doing my job and supporting the form. I have personally seen MsNomers build including the quality of design, materials and execution and I'm pretty certain she wasn't suggesting that using plastic coated particalboard KD cabinets with structural sections removed was a good idea in a moving vehicle. I suggest her point in posting the link was to show what generally can be done with a variety of materials and ingenuity not suggesting any product in particular.

I'm not sure why you continue this needless and childish attack but I would suggest that unless you have any expert knowledge in this field you care to share with us all you and your comments are totallly out of place and unwelcome.

As far as I'm concerned this subject is finished and I have no more to say.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've assembled some things from Ikea for the girlfriend. Some has been ok, some has been complete garbage. Most of their furniture or cabinets, desks, TV stand needed some kind of reinforcement after getting moved around a couple of times. Particle board desks by O'Sullivan (think that's the name) are even worse at crumbling and falling apart. I could not find out if the latest Ikea cabinets can be ordered made from plywood, or if it's all MDF/particleboard and just the drawer faces are plywood. If the structure is plywood, not just the drawer faces, might be worth it. Screw and glue together to make it solid.

I for one prefer discussion where someone tells me I'm about to do something wrong, and why they think it will fail as opposed to telling me it's all rainbows and unicorns while the project falls apart. Most things are a compromise and you choose to accept the shortcomings.

There's more than one way to make cabinets. How about foam core? https://youtu.be/ucf2FVIdr1Q I would have to do destructive testing before I trusted it. My feeling is by the time I was happy with the strength it would cost more than decent grade sandply plywood.

·
Super Moderator
10,196 Posts
Well said Ted!

Plywood is probably one of the most bang for the buck materials you can buy. Partial board/flakeboard has its uses for sure but it's not structural and most definitely not a replacement for real plywood.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
I am not saying it is this only answer but I thought about this a lot as I waited for my van which came two months later than they told me it would. How could I get the conversion to a point in the two months I had left, before I needed to leave? I never considered a pre-made cabinet so I respect those who might find just the right ones available. I reduced the build to 1/2 inch hardwood plywood boxes, no internal frames, glued and brad nailed together. Six sides of plain plywood. Then face cut the door and drawer fronts out of the box. This construction is something ANYONE can do. It does require a bench saw, a small hand held power saw with a really sharp new blade, to do the face cuts, and cross-cutting the hardwood plywood requires putting masking tape over the lines to keep the face from splintering. It is caveman type work. Easier than assembling the IKEA stuff. Internal shelves are placed on cleats, glued and screwed to the interior. Drawers can be a challenge but I have only 4. And if you think it might not be up to the task, build a test box and try to destroy it! Most of my build was built in the shop, finished and moved into the van. Only the overhead cabinets were built in place. I had never built cabinets this way in my 50 years of carpentry, and I have built custom cabinets since I was a teenager. I’m a convert to frameless box cabinets for a conversion! Try it!

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Whew. Sorry for starting such a firestorm. I should have mentioned the particle board up front. I admit I have never owned a piece of IKEA furniture. I've only been in an IKEA store a couple of times, but I do remember seeing solid wood--at least I think I did.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts