Ram Promaster Forum banner

Ideas for folding or stacking bed sections?

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  SteveSS 
#1 ·
I'm looking for ideas for lightweight but strong bed frames that either fold or slide sections on top of one another. We are getting a 159" hightop. My wife and I are tall people so we will be sleeping back to front most of the time. I'd like to be able to gain floor space by folding the bed frame in half or thirds then stacking the pads. At this point we have 3" sleeping pads that are 28" wide by six feet which could be the mattress or we can find or make to suit. I will be traveling alone at times and would love the extra space but when my sweetie is with me I'd like to snuggle up. I remember something like this in pop-tops. It's got to be strong enough to be able to sit in the middle with the feet dangling off the side. Did I mention this will be a rather high bed as we have lots of gear we want to stow underneath. This van will also be the tour vehicle for my musical group. more on that later.

I know that in some of the build blogs there is just the idea I'm looking for but I have not found it yet. By the way, I am enjoying all the build narratives. What great reading for those so inclined. Thanks to you who help others through the process. I can't wait to dive into my project. Just have to find the right vehicle. My dealer is giving me a swell deal but is having a hard time getting dealer trade info from RAM.

best, HalCannon

See less See more
#2 ·
In my old Econoline I took an Army cot, the type that has springs around "chain links" . Welded angle to the end bars, cut and ground about 5" from the long bar and welded door hinges in the cut. The springs assist folding up and snap down . I went legless because of about 4" cabinet support that the cot is bolted to. Folds up against the wall , minimal loss of volume.
In the PM I'm using a "twin" trundle bed stripped of the trundle stuff. Cut , hinged , but has legs. And a 12V mattress pad .

#3 ·
I'm looking for ideas for lightweight but strong bed frames that either fold or slide sections on top of one another. We are getting a 159" hightop. My wife and I are tall people so we will be sleeping back to front most of the time. I'd like to be able to gain floor space by folding the bed frame in half or thirds then stacking the pads. At this point we have 3" sleeping pads that are 28" wide by six feet which could be the mattress or we can find or make to suit. I will be traveling alone at times and would love the extra space but when my sweetie is with me I'd like to snuggle up. I remember something like this in pop-tops. It's got to be strong enough to be able to sit in the middle with the feet dangling off the side. Did I mention this will be a rather high bed as we have lots of gear we want to stow underneath. This van will also be the tour vehicle for my musical group. more on that later.

I know that in some of the build blogs there is just the idea I'm looking for but I have not found it yet. By the way, I am enjoying all the build narratives. What great reading for those so inclined. Thanks to you who help others through the process. I can't wait to dive into my project. Just have to find the right vehicle. My dealer is giving me a swell deal but is having a hard time getting dealer trade info from RAM.

best, HalCannon
The MOAB bed is basically what you want, but they don't make it for promaster YET. I'm planning to fabricate one myself and use Etrack to mount it so that it can be easily removed.

I'm basically knocking off this design with commodity parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.