Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am driving to Orlando from Montana for a dog show. I am worried about ice and snow performance. Should I get studded tires? I always ran rear studs on my Chevy express. I do have Auto Trac chains to fit. I have been on some snow in the highways but not much ice, so I'm wondering what others have experience. Thanks!
Deborah

·
Registered
247 Posts
You need only winter tires. You will be surprised by the performances on snow and ice. You have only to take a look to the user manual especially about the traction control.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I upset the ESC when I came up my hill (1600 foot steep dirt road that was a bit of ice under only 2" of snow). My Chevy would have had no problems with its rear studs.So I'm a bit spooked!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Clearly the Promaster with the studs will be better on the ice than any other RWD vehicle.
Can you imagine the Chevy without studs coming up the hill?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi DogShowGo!

Are you driving to the AKC Invitationals in Orlando? What size PM do you have and how do you have it set up for your dogs? Do you have a generator with roof A/C? Any pics??

I just ordered a low roof 136 for my dogs and am trying to come up with as much info as possible before it arrives..

Susan

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hi, Susan, I have the 2500 159". Yes, I am driving to Orlando for Eukanuba. I don't have an a/c yet. I am getting a vent installed next week, and an endless breeze fan. I have enough room that I can carry extra crates for ta king the dogs inside the building. I may end up getting an a/c installed down there, lots more places that are experienced. I'm putting a swing away hitch hauler on the back so I can carry a generator and extra gear.

I haven't been all that thrilled with gas mileage but i have the high roof and tend to go 80;) I LOVE the fact that when I go around corners, there's no shifting of contents. I can fit 11 suv type crates (42" long by 21" wide) (I built a platform for 3 across the back, and can double stack 4 along the side.) Under my platform I have several wire crates and my grooming table. On top of those crates I have a couple of xpens.

The only thing I really hate is not having a little platform for cups etc like my Chevy did. The cup holders are on the floor. I have my ice chest in the middle that I use as a table.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Cooper Tires

I bought Mastercraft Courser tires, made by Cooper Tire. 225/75/16 $700 installed, #72 pressure. Grip great on wet, dry or snow.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Gas mileage

If you cruise over 65mph gas mileage takes big hit with all that frontal area,have to choose between getting their quick or your pocket book

1 - 9 of 9 Posts