Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guy on the Sprinter forum had some serious work done on his suspension: "I had Agile Off Road install their coll-over shocks up front and Fox shocks on the rear. They also custom built two 10 leaf springs for the back…" He was pleased with the result: "My Sprinter now handles like a sports car whether empty or fully loaded. No more excessive leaning on curves. No more rocking side to side leaving driveways. No more being shoved around by the wind."

I wanted to say, "So it now performs as well as a stock Promaster?" But I didn’t.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
That would have hurt his feelings.
Good thing you didn't say it.
He may have needed paramedics.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Actually, I think that's illegal in some areas now.
There may have been paramedics and police involved.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Guy on the Sprinter forum had some serious work done on his suspension: "I had Agile Off Road install their coll-over shocks up front and Fox shocks on the rear. They also custom built two 10 leaf springs for the back…" He was pleased with the result: "My Sprinter now handles like a sports car whether empty or fully loaded. No more excessive leaning on curves. No more rocking side to side leaving driveways. No more being shoved around by the wind."

I wanted to say, "So it now performs as well as a stock Promaster?" But I didn’t.
Just got back home from over 1000 miles trip to “The Gorge” OR. Traveling down the I-5 & the curved highways that shoulder the Columbia River, I was thinking this stock 3500EXT handles very well for what it is.

I never test drove the “competitions’” stuff, so I have no experience.

I can say I’m impressed with my stock PM. Maybe some day I will drive a sprinter & realize I have been spoilt

·
Registered
165 Posts
Just got back home from over 1000 miles trip to “The Gorge” OR. Traveling down the I-5 & the curved highways that shoulder the Columbia River, I was thinking this stock 3500EXT handles very well for what it is.

I never test drove the “competitions’” stuff, so I have no experience.

I can say I’m impressed with my stock PM. Maybe some day I will drive a sprinter & realize I have been spoilt
I drove an empty promaster down the gorge (I-84) in 60mph gusts and it was terrifying, especially with all the winding of the highway. But I feel like that would be the case in any car.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sprinter and Transit both have to allow for body twisting in their builds. Lots of complaints about handling on both forums.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I drove an empty promaster down the gorge (I-84) in 60mph gusts and it was terrifying, especially with all the winding of the highway. But I feel like that would be the case in any car.
We drove home (Victoria BC), last Friday (had some gusts on the I-5, but nothing scary).

I calculate “loaded” with 2 people & a 10lb dog our PM is 7800lbs (7810 with the dog). With our build, the majority of the weight is transferred (or sitting) on the floor (nothing on the roof but a fan). I’m assuming our CG is fairly low, albeit I have not measured or theory calculated it.

I have zero experience driving a large van other than the PM (or Uhaul rental moving van). So I do not know how the competition drives like. That being said, I’m very impressed with the way the PM handles. I suspect it has something to do with the front wheel drive.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I find my van disconcerting to drive on tight winding roads. It actually handles fine, but that big A pillar blocking my vision of what is around the bend really messes me up. Its a pleasure drive on back roads, just not tight winding mountain ones.

·
Read Only
55 Posts
I think you and I were on that stretch of I-84 on the same day, lol. "Memorable" would be an understatement.

·
Registered
409 Posts

Either your Promaster has some magic pixie dust sprinkled on it, or you don't know what good suspension feels like.

My Promaster suspension feels like it was designed by a kindergartner. In 1901.

·
Premium Member
8,677 Posts
Whattttt? Mine is sure to pull more G’s than the Miata! LOL

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Either your Promaster has some magic pixie dust sprinkled on it, or you don't know what good suspension feels like.
I haven’t seen any pixie dust, but I do know a good suspension when I feel it, including some autocross sprints in my youth. We simply do not have the handling issues regularly complained of or just accepted as normal by Sprinter and Transit owners. If your van gets tossed around as it gets passed or gets tossed around by winds or its body twists so much the build is affected, you need to get it fixed.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Anyone who says this van has a 1901 suspension,...clearly hasn't driven anything from 1901. Or any other cargo van from more than 5-10 yrs ago.
BTW, did I mention it's a cargo van,....and not a Lincoln Town car?
I'm not being defensive because I own one. I couldn't care less if anyone liked the promaster or not. But I've driven more vehicles and types than I can remember and this is my 7-8th van. If you're complaining about how it handles, it's obviously because you don't have much experience to compare it to.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I suspect it drives better than a Lincoln Towncar. My mother's big sedans wallowed over the road like a fish in mud.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
It definitely does.
That was more a reference to the cloud like give in the suspension.
A sarcastic remark for anyone whining about a cargo van with 2 tons of payload cap, riding rough.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Having driving VW buses including my present vanagon for over 4 decades and a Ford Pleasureway Traverse (think VW bus on steroids) I am very impressed with the way my Van Works converted Promaster high top 136 handles. I have been in major side winds, blowing snow and rain yet it has stuck to the road. It is not a sedan and you have to be ready for gusts yet its handling to date has been impressive.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts