Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Pleasureway camper van a week ago. It was built on a 2018 Ram Promaster chassis that has 33,800 miles on it. I was told the recalls had been addressed before I took a final walk-through and went through orientation with a service tech. When I asked why the gear shifter was difficult to put into Drive, the tech said that was due to the transmission shifter cable being replaced and that shifting will get easier, in time. The van was delivered to me the next day. I couldn't get the van into Drive, when turning it around in my driveway, so texted the salesman, and he told me that the shifter needs a "rough touch" to get it into drive. When that didn't work, he told me it needs a "reset," which means turning off and restarting the engine. That worked. I drove the van to a big parking lot 2 miles away to practice parking, and had the same trouble, only now when the shifter is in the Drive position, it may actually be in Neutral. I drove straight home and took a video of this happening. The RV service manager told me the service tech who fixed the recalls would be there the next day to look at the van. He never showed up. I called and was told the service tech from the shop that is an hour from my house would be here on Monday (tomorrow), and that the RV dealership made an error in scheduling. I am obviously not mechanically inclined, and the dealership staff tell me things that don't make sense. I would like advice from anyone here who might know what the trouble is with my van, so I can be armed with information in case the service tech also says things to me that don't make sense. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
That's because dealerships are in the business of selling things and making money. Priority #1 is not to hire qualified and competent mechanics, because those are expensive to employ.
It seems someone did the shift cable replacement and didnt do it correctly.
Telling you there's a "reset" for a cable and to turn the vehicle off and on again, is the first clue to their competence.
Sorry, don't mean to be negative, bit it sounds like you might have to shop around for a service center until you find one with somewhat competent mechanics.
If these guys could handle replacing a simple gear shift cable and then gave you a ridiculous line about a reset, I'm not sure I'd want these guys touching my vehicle again.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
The van was probably fine before they changed the shift cable. They just replaced it because it was a recall and there could "possibly" be an issue with it at some point.
But they clearly screwed it up.
I'm pretty sure you can take it to any dealership to have it taken care of since it's a recall. Just look around and find a place with experience working on promasters.
Shouldn't cost you anything

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's because dealerships are in the business of selling things and making money. Priority #1 is not to hire qualified and competent mechanics, because those are expensive to employ.
It seems someone did the shift cable replacement and didnt do it correctly.
Telling you there's a "reset" for a cable and to turn the vehicle off and on again, is the first clue to their competence.
Sorry, don't mean to be negative, bit it sounds like you might have to shop around for a service center until you find one with somewhat competent mechanics.
If these guys could handle replacing a simple gear shift cable and then gave you a ridiculous line about a reset, I'm not sure I'd want these guys touching my vehicle again.
Thank you so much!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The van was probably fine before they changed the shift cable. They just replaced it because it was a recall and there could "possibly" be an issue with it at some point.
I'm pretty sure you can take it to any dealership to have it taken care of since it's a recall. Just look around and find a place with experience working on promasters.
Thank you! I will look for a dealership near me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Please make an introductory post ASAP so I won’t be forced to delete this thread

All newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. Promasterforum.com Introduction Section

Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make may be deleted.
I posted an introduction before I posted my question. The subject title says, Hi from Oregon.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm looking at the shifter cable recall notice now, and it states that the repair will be done free of charge by an "authorized BusinessLink dealer". If the repair was done by an RV dealer instead, it may be that they did something wrong.

You might want to contact FCA Recall Assistance for guidance in getting the repair corrected - 1-800-853-1403. The shifter cable recall number is W00.

Reactions: RnR

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm looking at the shifter cable recall notice now, and it states that the repair will be done free of charge by an "authorized BusinessLink dealer". If the repair was done by an RV dealer instead, it may be that they did something wrong.

You might want to contact FCA Recall Assistance for guidance in getting the repair corrected - 1-800-853-1403. The shifter cable recall number is W00.
Thank you. The dealership took the van to a Ram service repair shop 30 miles away (50 miles away from me) to get the recall items fixed. Before I bought the van, I looked up the vehicle on NHTSA and saw there were 2 recalls. Before having the van delivered, I went back to that site and saw that there are 0 outstanding recalls on my van. I hope that what others have said is correct and that the mechanic just didn't repair it properly.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,829 Posts
My van has about 135,000 miles, so long past any warranty. If I took it in for a recall, I would expect the dealer to return it to me in better condition than I left it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This seems to be exactly what happened. The recall fix was done incorrectly, and the service manager at the dealership was trying to cover up that truth by telling me that there was an additional problem with the shifter cable that began with Chrysler. That just made me think that I'd bought a troubled vehicle! Anyway, thank you for telling me what you did, last week.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts