Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am 50 years old and I have never bought a new vehicle until now.
I ordered a brand new 2016 Ram Promaster LWB Ext 3500 in black. The only options I chose were a steel cargo partition (with no window) and two spare FOBs. They said that it will take about 8 weeks to build it and get it here.
Do you guys think that this will go smoothly? I had a friend order a new automobile once, but it arrived damaged. he said that his experience was rare.

·
Super Moderator
10,528 Posts
Welcome,

I haven't heard of anyone having problems receiving a new damaged vehicle but if you were to you wouldn't be required to accept it.

I am curious about your minimalistic order however. Lots of desirable options to choose from and adding them later, quite often, is more costly.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Welcome.

When the dealer calls to tell you that it's ready for pick-up, be sure to do a full Pre-Delivery Inspection, before you sign anything and put your license plate put on it. At that point you have accepted it.

Treat it like you are looking at a USED car. Plan to do it in the middle of the day, never at night with bad lighting.

Look for dents, scratches, etc, inside and out, and also look for repair jobs (no matter how well done). Sometimes they damage vehicles in the factory or during transport, fix them, and never mention that it was repaired. You don't have to accept this if you don't want to.

If you find anything you don't like, avoid a salesman's promise to "take care of it" after you accept it. Once you sign, it is is yours, and your leverage goes down.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hi,

... Ext 3500 in black. The only options I chose were a steel cargo partition (with no window) ....

Sounds like a VERY stealth camper or a delivery van for fish and cocaine to fancy hotels?

·
Registered
428 Posts
In a bright sun a black van will heat up like an oven inside. If in the south it will be excessively hot. Consider changing color to white or silver.

·
Registered
245 Posts
In a bright sun a white van will heat up like an oven inside. If in the south it will be excessively hot. Consider insulation.

I have heard the black car theory all of my life and know that it certainly holds true for t-shirts. So, being a welding inspector, I used my IR thermometer on a hot Southern California Summer day and took readings on two pieces of steel sitting side by side for the same amount of time. The ONLY difference in these two 300 pound parts is that one was painted white. The temperatures were the same. I believe that after a while, white or black, they will both heat to the same temperature.
I MAY BE WRONG but

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,654 Posts
Sometimes you have to have what you want even if its hot in the oven!
I think my Granite Promaster gets hotter than a white one does, but I don't have a way to be sure. Given the choice, I would do the Granite again, no contest! It just looks a bit more stylish to me!

As far as the heat, that's why Chrysler made doors... and windows.... and vents....boy, us Italians are smart! ;)

Ed

·
Registered
538 Posts
You'll be able to bake cakes and make beef jerky in it as you drive in the summer! ;-)

Although I don't like white, I got it to avoid driving a large oven.

Hope it goes good for you! We're very happy with ours.

Reactions: cutndry

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There were a lot of options that I would have liked, but I had to keep the price as low as possible in order to get my wife's support.

I always drive black vehicles--black is my color. I would rather cook in a black van than be comfortable in a white van. I do understand that black absorbs the heat whereas white reflects it. Fortunately, it is very temperate where I live (Sonoma County, CA).

I bought the van because I currently don't own any automobile. I have a fleet of ebikes and riding an ebike to work. I had been parking my ebike inside my work, but the boss said that I have to park it outside. The ebike is way too expensive to park outside, so I bought a cargo van to have secure, covered parking for my ebike at work.

Bringing the cargo van to work means riding my bike on my lunch hour, rather than commuting by ebike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There were a few more options that I wanted, but I wanted to keep the price down to help out my wife.

I only buy black vehicles because black is the only color that I like. I will be using this van to haul my black ebikes, so I would like the van to match the bikes. I live in a very temperate place (Sonoma County, CA). Very hot days are pretty rare.

I currently don't own any vehicle. My wife and I have been sharing her minivan, but my ebike is too big to fit in it. I will use the Promaster to drive to work and I will ride my bike on my lunch hour. There are many times when I need to haul my ebike to places (e.g. a group ride).

Does anybody have a floor plan for a LWB Extended? I need to plan where to put two ground anchors. These are about 9" long, 6" high, 4" wide and made of 1/2" mild steel; I will probably weld them to the floor. The ground anchors are for locking up bikes.

I am really not seeing a place to weld in ground anchors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In a bright sun a black van will heat up like an oven inside. If in the south it will be excessively hot. Consider changing color to white or silver.
There were a few more options that I wanted, but I wanted to keep the price down to help out my wife.

I only buy black vehicles because black is the only color that I like. I will be using this van to haul my black ebikes, so I would like the van to match the bikes. I live in a very temperate place (Sonoma County, CA). Very hot days are pretty rare.

I currently don't own any vehicle. My wife and I have been sharing her minivan, but my ebike is too big to fit in it. I will use the Promaster to drive to work and I will ride my bike on my lunch hour. There are many times when I need to haul my ebike to places (e.g. a group ride).

Does anybody have a floor plan for a LWB Extended? I need to plan where to put two ground anchors. These are about 9" long, 6" high, 4" wide and made of 1/2" mild steel; I will probably weld them to the floor. The ground anchors are for locking up bikes.

I am really not seeing a place to weld in ground anchors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome, what are your plans for this van? BTW the delivery times have run about 12 weeks but who knows?
This will be my daily driver. I will also be starting a mobile ebike repair business, but I have about five years of training to do before I would charge people to wrench and solder on their ebikes.

One of the schools to learn to be a bicycle mechanic is out of state, so I will live in this van while I spend 2-3 weeks per year at the vocational school.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does anybody have the dimensions for the floor of a 2016 LWB Ext rear cargo area? I am welding in some 4" wide X 6" tall X 9" long ground anchors (made of 1/2" mild steel plate). The ground anchors will be on the driver's side (probably on the floor near the side). I use these to chain up heavy ebikes.

I found this drawing:

PM-dim2.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There were a lot of other upgrades that I definitely wanted, but I kept the price to a minimum to help out my wife.

I only like black vehicles even though I know they heat up more. I live in Sonoma County, CA, so heat is not too much of an issue.

I bought this van because I don't own any vehicle now, and I need to haul my ebikes around a lot. My wife's van is too small to haul a bike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I found some pictures of a bare cargo area on the internet. These all look like 159 LWB Ext.

I still don't see a good place for ground anchors. I suppose I will just weld them to the floor where they need to go, almost all the way over to the driver's side.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts