Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a slightly unique situation for my kitchen shelf because of the way that I build my walls. Since I had an idea that width is super important (and I think I was right) we ended up doing paneling on the top and bottom, but left the "middle" open with just a layer of sound deadening and insulation followed by the fabric. This gives the van another 6" of width or so in that area, which enabled me to do a regular queen mattress sideways, and left a nice area behind my kitchen cabinet where we hooked up electrical/switches/etc

I now want to put in a shelf in the middle of this to hang paper towels, put in mugs, etc, but I'm having a bit of a time figuring out how a) to mount it and b) how to add something so that mugs don't fall off.

Here's are a couple of pics of the area.

My current thoughts are:

1) Use shelf brackets attached to the left (just drill straight into the sheetmetal here) and then on the right, drill into the bed supports

2) Jig saw the shelf so that it's nice and flush

3) What do I do with the "guard" on it? Would I do some 1" wide x 3" tall pieces screwed vertically and then some sort of round rod? Should I just attach a 1" x 3" strip to the front? What do I even google for? "van shelf"? :)

Something like this? (my amazing photochop skillz)

·
Registered
2017 159, w/dual sliders. SF Bay area
1,003 Posts
Hang the mugs from hooks. Far enough apart that they do not clink.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not with the kind of roads that I drive on. This is an off road van. Even if I did that, I would need a shelf tho :)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Fair point. I'd look at a shelf for boats, but mostly for inspiration. Given your specific dimensions, getting something off the rack would be tough.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yea, I have zero intention of going off the rack. I have some nice 3/4" birch plywood here that I'll be building this out of.

I'm in need of inspiration and pictures. Never thought about boat shelves, so I'll google that, thanks.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I didn't find much looking for boat specific racks, but shower organizers offer an interesting set of basket/shelves that could be adapted.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
1,995 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
How about a shelf with some stretchy mesh across. Kinda like a mini cargo net? Either stretchy mesh fabric, or lace it back and forth and up and down with shock cord.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Halfway follow up. Grabbed some 1/2" oak from Home Depot for $15 and rocked out the shelf on Saturday AM. Coped the back a bit so it would match up nicely with the wall. I'll be using 2 black L bracket mounts, one on the sheetmetal on the left and one on the metal bed rail on the right. Hopefully it will be enough structure, but I think it will, as I won't be putting anything too heavy on it. We'll see. Now I'm just going to paint it gray to match the rest of my cabinets, put some shelf liner on it, and hang it later today.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts