Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
First thoughts: sardine can!

I honestly like my DIY PM better, and am enjoying the build along the way (as long as the Motrin holds out!)

I think a lot of it has to do with what you want to use it for. I'm not interested in camping in the desert, climbing mountains, or fording streams. Just looking for a comfortable place to rest my bones, have a meal, watch a little TV, and use the "facilities" every now and then.

OTOH, I can see how this would get the drool going for many of our forum members! Great video!

Ed

·
Premium Member
7,389 Posts
As I see it that van would be very nice. The question for anyone who has a few months of time and some skills to do a conversion is wheather you would rather build your custom, or buy their finished. Remeber you could have 3 new customs for the price of that finished one! Perhaps one you stored in a shed somewhere in Europe, one here in the US and a third in another interesting place... perhaps OZ or New Zeland? Same money!

·
Super Moderator
7,162 Posts
Sorry, but what an absolute joke that van is! $100 k for a Sprinter that will bankrupt you in a few years with repairs and rust. The only redeeming value it has is it's a 4X4. Some people (many even) would consider that a fantastic option, me I'm just as pleased with my FWD Promaster and 4WD means nothing to me.

RD is correct - you could buy at least two Promasters, fully convert them and stash them all over the world for the price of that one overpriced joke!

Other than the 4X4 I see nothing in that van that most anyone here could not duplicate for substantial, and mean SUBSTANTIALLY, less!

It is a nice color, however ;)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would never even consider spending that much(well unless the wifey won the lottery) :)

But I could take that thing some places out here in NM. We have some crazy roads out here I want to go on one day :)

·
Premium Member
7,389 Posts
I have a 14 year old Toyota 4 Runner with 250K miles for that. Since we are just the Mrs. and Me we fold the back seats, have a built up sleeping platform running back to front, a cooler, some under bed drawers for the camping stuff and it was fully paid for in 2006! Knarley stuff and desert pinstripes are what its for on deep desert exploring. This high PM is not suited for such even with 4X4. Smaller is better- used ot have a Samurai, it was better in the bad stuff than the 4 Runner! But the 4 Runner has AC, dust free interior, and power to exceed 55 on the way home!

BTW we have camped at Santa Rosa Lake SP many times, usuallly out of season, sometimes nearly by ourselves. Been there yet with the family?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've been reading the forums for months, research my van conversion project. I'm getting nearer to pullling the trigger -

I saw this thread, it is a bit dated, but thought I'd quick post since I've been shopping hard and comparing a PM and Sprinter.

The 4x4 sprinters are incredibly cool, very pricey though for sure - BUT - I went to the MB dealer this week, the wait right now is 1 year +!!! Even special ordering anything new in Sprinter line is about 6 months. Crazy.

I'm leaning heavily to the PM for many reasons, I'll be posting in general shortly all of my questions but sharing what I learned on this thread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts