Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm interested in the Timbrens as an alternative to air bags, but having removed my helper springs to reduce ride height and soften the rim, I am now about 1.5-2" lower than stock.

I wonder about the clearance with a Timbren; I certainly don't want to raise my vehicle.

If I was to order a Timbren and "guesstimate" my needs, how would you suggest making an order based on my exiting spacing?

I installed Timbrens on my RAM Promaster 3500 based Winnebago Travato 59G. These RV conversions are fairly heavy compared to bare cargo vans.

Hope you enjoy it.

http://wincrasher.blogspot.com/2015/08/another-vile-and-disgusting-timbrens.html

·
Registered
473 Posts
Nurse Ben, you can't order custom made Timbrens. They are a specific size, height, and that's it. What wincrasher states in his blog about ride height afterwards, should be what pretty much anyone will get with their PM. However remember, he's running a constant 1800 lbs or so over empty van all the time.

(My response is based on what I took you to mean by "making an order")

·
Registered
142 Posts
I see what you mean, I downloaded the Axon rubber spec sheet and the dimensions for a "light load" that matches my needs is limited to two models, stack heights of 5.25" (1000#) and 5.5" (1800#)

I ordered the ones spec'd for a 1500 PM, I believe they are 1800#..

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 1998 Chevy Tahoe, and the max towing weight w/out a weight distributing hitch is 2000 lbs, and with one it is 5500 lbs. So would timbrens increase my max towing weight like a weight distributing hitch would? Also, do timbrens increase my spring capacity? Any help would be great.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ha! I figured it out, you CAN order special, you just need to call Timbren and tell them what you need.

I was looking for a Timbren spring that would work for my PM with the secondary spring removed. The reason I needed a special spring dimension is that the distance between the frame and the axle decreased with the secondary spring removal.

I ended up ordering twice, first I ordered the standard Timbren kit which includes a base (A1602A) and spring (A535-55). The standard spring resulted in a stiff ride because the spring was in constant contact with the axle; an inch space is recommended by Timbren.

I ordered a second set of springs direct from Timbren (A550-55), these springs have about the same load rating (slightly higher) but they are shorter by 1 3/8", which leaves me with one inch of space between the Timbren spring and the axle.

If you want an answer, sometimes the source is where you need to go!

The ride is awesome, more like a 1/2 ton truck than a two ton van, the ride height is reduced in the rear so it sits about an inch higher than the front (versus 5" in stock form), and I still have my full load capacity without excessive sag.

Do it!

Nurse Ben, you can't order custom made Timbrens. They are a specific size, height, and that's it. What wincrasher states in his blog about ride height afterwards, should be what pretty much anyone will get with their PM. However remember, he's running a constant 1800 lbs or so over empty van all the time.

(My response is based on what I took you to mean by "making an order")

1 - 6 of 6 Posts