Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
OK fellas, i had air tabs on my 14 2500 van for about 170k of the 200k i drove it. i tracked my fuel since day 1. i got about .25 of a mile per gallon increase in fuel. it did seem to stabilize the van in winds and keep the back doors cleaner. i then had them installed on my 2018 3500 ext new. so i have no mpg data to compare. i have driven that van 275k miles. the doors on rear stayed fairly clean. i get 17.5 pg with this van.
will i put them on my next van, yes

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
OK fellas, i had air tabs on my 14 2500 van for about 170k of the 200k i drove it. i tracked my fuel since day 1. i got about .25 of a mile per gallon increase in fuel. it did seem to stabilize the van in winds and keep the back doors cleaner. i then had them installed on my 2018 3500 ext new. so i have no mpg data to compare. i have driven that van 275k miles. the doors on rear stayed fairly clean. i get 17.5 pg with this van.
will i put them on my next van, yes
Hi,
Thanks for the report!

Just to make sure I have it, your MPG improved by 0.25 over the time you had them installed?

For a 17 MPG van for 275K miles and with $2.50 gas, this would be a saving in fuel cost of almost $600 -- so, just from an MPG point of view, a pretty good investment? With the greater stability maybe being at least as important?

I still have my VorBlade vortex generators and plan to install them and do some testing when it warms up a bit.

Gary

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I have to remember to price some of these air tabs.
I want to install them to keep the rear end clean(er).
Primarily the rearview cam.

·
Registered
612 Posts
The "Airtabs" are at the large size of the VG scale , there smaller VGs available . I got some on Ebay to put on the "vent window" up high to silence turbulence running windows 1/2 down . Proven by putting fingertips out of window .
Thanks for your report charity's van .
Phil , soap n' water for U

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
That stinks.
I wonder if it would be worth it and have an impact just having them along the back edge of the roof?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
A difference of 0.25 MPG is difficult to isolate since other variables can also influence fuel economy by that much or more.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Here is another Youtube review:

The 1.5 mpg he lost on taking the Airtabs off seems very high, but a quarter of that would make them a good investment. Also comments on the stablility and cleaner back end.

I'm planning to mount my Vorblades in such a way that I can take them off easily so I can do an A - B - A test.

Gary

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Same how? A cut-off box with a relatively flat back seems very different to me than a wind turbine airfoil. That’s not to say it doesn’t work for either, or both, but I wouldn’t connect one to the other.

Based on my experience, I’d expect about the same 0.25 MPG improvement for every 1 MPH I slow down at typical highway speeds. New tires versus old makes a big difference also, as does ambient temperature, winter versus summer gas blend, etc. Just saying it’s easy to lose 0.25 MPG accuracy in background noise.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Same how? A cut-off box with a relatively flat back seems very different to me than a wind turbine airfoil. That’s not to say it doesn’t work for either, or both, but I wouldn’t connect one to the other.
They are there to create a controlled disturbance either on the van or the windmill.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts