Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been lurking for a while and decided it was time to say Hi to everyone and Join in on the madness. Hi everyone!
I recently became a happy owner of a 2017 Granite gray 118" PM. I've been considering what I really want And need in this build but still not sure how far I want to go.Trying to be patient...lol. I will not be living in the van so I don't need much....I just need it to be my personal,work,family,play,toy hauling,weekend warrior, tail gating, whoop it up a ittle,camper van!
Ive had vans in the past, a few Dodge and Chevys. but the new style vans are just Awsome! I purchased the PM because it's the only full size van that comes in a short wheel base. I work in and around Boston MA and love being able to just whip a U-turn or squeeze into a parking spot(for a full size van it turns on a dime) . I know I want a auto ceiling fan in the back plus a power sun/moon roof up by the front. So I'm going to start at the ceiling and hopefully have a better idea what I want to do by the time I Finnish installing and insulating the ceiling.
Now the hard part, I just need to open my wallet......

Once again hello to everyone in the ProMaster forum

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,654 Posts
Welcome fellow New Englander!

You will note that the Granite gets pretty warm (HOT!) once the weather gets warmer around here. Ceiling fan is a good idea! If you hadn't noticed there is a flat spot in the roof for a sunroof or ceiling fan. (I think it's on the 118?)

Keep us updated...
ed

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rodger that on the heat Ed.
Yes, right behind the front seats the ceiling has a flat spot for the sunroof.

Will do...

·
Registered
816 Posts
Thinking about a sunroof there as well. I'm a bit hesitant about putting a hole in the roof though. Great place for a leak, the hole in the roof.
Will be watching your progress for my 118".

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Couple of small things off the list but cutting a HOLE in my roof was a hard one!
Was driving around in the rain last night and all was good...And dry!
Went with the fancy remote Maxfan with smoked cover.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,499 Posts
Couple of small things off the list but cutting a HOLE in my roof was a hard one!
There have been very few (if any) problems with people cutting holes in their roof, or sidewalks for that matter. Once you can get past the concept that it is hard to do and seal it's nothing. Like most things in life, the first time is the hardest ;)

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,654 Posts

Sounds like the same project I will be tackling soon... de fan is on de way!

ridges? Butyl only, filler pieces, dicor?

more pics?

ed

ps. I believe KOV was talking about sidewalls, not sidewalks!

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Sounds like the same project I will be tackling soon... de fan is on de way!
ridges? Butyl only, filler pieces, dicor?
Recommend one of our adapters for your fan install.

OP photo shows a lot of Dynamat which is not needed
when using Thinsulate(TM).

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,654 Posts
Hein,

I tried to get a response to price or discount for forum members... no reply.
A while back I had suggested to you that you sell the "wedges" as a strip so people could cut as needed for fillers...no reply

Given the current install, I'm working with about 1" between my vent top and my carport where I park the van....In my situation, I think the adapter you offer will add height that I can't afford!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Hein,

I tried to get a response to price or discount for forum members... no reply.
A while back I had suggested to you that you sell the "wedges" as a strip so people could cut as needed for fillers...no reply

Given the current install, I'm working with about 1" between my vent top and my carport where I park the van....In my situation, I think the adapter you offer will add height that I can't afford!
The wedges as strips is a great idea. I could use some for my AC install up front. It will hang off the flat sunroof area a few inches.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
We can make some wedge strips but there is a slight arc in the roof that wouldn't be accounted for. Our full adapters take care of that so the vent doesn't flatten and pull down the roof. I'm willing to machine some strips if you want to try them.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Hien... If we use your adapter, we put it on top of the van? And if so, what do we use on the inside?
You buy the inside adapter if you want as well. Most of us haven't but it would save you some time. The adapter on the outside is almost a non-negotiable to me.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, Butyl tape and dacor. Worked like a charm! $50 for a plastic ring was a little pricey for what it is. I cut up an old cutting board on my table saw and it worked perfect on the exterior. Used 1" wood for the front and back of the vent and used 1 1/4 wood for the sides. 2 major down pours (1 when driving)with no problems.

The thinsulate(th) is good stuff but is no substitute for Dynamat

1 - 16 of 16 Posts