Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I find the ProMaster of my dreams on the internet.

I send the dealership a certified bank check via Express Mail and I then hop a flight from basically the middle of Texas to Milwaukee. The dealership (Van Horn Dodge in Plymouth, about an hour north of Milwaukee) sends a driver down to the airport to get me when I arrive in Milwaukee.

I get to the dealership, my eyes pop outta my head and there she sits, my brand-spankin-new Dodge ProMaster van. I sign the paperwork, jump in the shiny Promaster for the gazillion mile drive back to Texas and I get 5 miles from my home and I discover, "Wow, this ProMaster really does "rock."

I hope this never happens to a new and proud ProMaster again, on DAY 3 OF OWNERSHIP! :eek:

https://youtu.be/QYzPnJBgxTg

·
Registered
16 Posts
My brothers 2018 PM is on its third windshield. He is going to talk to his auto glass guy and see if there is some kind of film to put on it to help with rock strikes. I hope my 2019 has better luck when it gets here.............

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I read the title I thought it was going to be an accident with your new van. This happened to mine at 3000 miles. The PM has been in the body shop for two months now (waiting on back ordered parts).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,739 Posts
I’m on my third windshield. It’s a rock magnet!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Had to change a windshield last year after a rock hit started to spread sideways. So far, so good on #2 . I guess that is just what happens when you have that large a target!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I feel your pain. I need a new windshield in mine too. Moments after I took this picture the crack made a loud noise and zinged across the rest of the bottom. Note that the rock hit hard enough to break off the paint and glass on the inside of the window.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
i had to replaced my too couple months back and looks like all the cracks seem to start from or near the edge of a windshield. i had it replaced with local shop and it seems that the replacement is more thicker then the OEM. during my last long journey trip, it got hit so many times and seem to held up very nicely
my question is the Promaster OEM windshield very easy to crack?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Not all glass is the same toughness. My job as a kid, was at a glass company. We found LOF glass to be much tougher than PPG back in 1974. I have no idea who is best today.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Window on my Suburban had so many pits that I decided it was time for a new windshield. Climbed in and smiled at how clean and clear my new windshield was. Drive 7 miles down the freeway and a we Rick came up and bam. Turned around and back to the glass shop.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I’m on my 3rd windshield on a 2016. Absolutely do NOT call Safelite to replace it or you will regret it. Butchers!

·
Premium Member
7,739 Posts
Hey sav3406 Safelight has done mine twice and both times did wonderful work, very innovative tools to remove it, very knowledgeable about what had to come off and be replaced. The replacement as just like the origional and even the document holder was saved. Sounds like you had a bad crew? Perhaps it was the particular techs or site as I am sure the two sites that did mine were well trained, careful and had the best price by far. Sorry your experience was different. I have no dog in this fight either.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Feel your pain. Similar experience happened to me while driving the 30 mile trip back home from the dealer lot! Luckily it just left a big bullseye and didn't spread. Called a windshield guy to repair it few days later and the guy said he replaces lots of PM windshields... not a comforting thought!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Next time I won't "monkey around" with anything lesser than Gorilla Glass. Sounds like a much tougher piece of glass in looking at the links.

·
Registered
114 Posts
In regards to Gorilla glass for the windshield. It is doable, but they normally use it on the inner lite. Corning has a few videos out there on this. It is a bit complicated because the glass needs to be bent first and then chemically strengthened. Lot of folks looking at this long term, but it makes things more complicated and costly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I paid for 2 windshields before I discovered that my insurance (Progressive) will cover them for an extra $50 per year.

Keith

1 - 20 of 27 Posts