Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I called the recall hotline listed in the NHTSA.gov VIN lookup for the recalls on my 2018 1500 Promaster v6 136 gas.

VB2 will be available in April and W00 will be available in June.

It was odd, when I called to ask the schedule, at first the technician (who was very professional and polite) said they didn't know. So I said it would really help to have that information and that I was considering calling the NHTSA hotline to complain about the lack of info and the delay. She immediately said she would research more.

So she put me on hold for about 5 minutes, then came back with the above information, and put me on a waiting list.

I suggest calling FCA and/or NHTSA to put some pressure. It can't hurt.

FCA Chrysler company recall hotline: 800-853-1403

Have your VIN (actually the last 8 digits for the phone) ready.

Online:
VIN search NHTSA | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

If the manufacturer has failed or is unable to remedy this safety recall for your vehicle in a timely manner,please contact the NHTSA Vehicle Safety Hotline at: 1-888-327-4236 or TTY: 1-800-424-9153 or file an online complaint with NHTSA.

Manufacturer Recall NumberVB2
NHTSA Recall Number19V-818
Recall StatusRecall Incomplete, remedy not yet available
SummaryA cooling fan stall / seizure event could lead to electrical overloading of the fan motor potentially resulting in the thermal degradation of the brush housing, which may lead to a vehicle fire.
Safety RiskA vehicle fire may increase the risk of injury to occupants and persons outside of the vehicle, as well as property damage.
RemedyReplace the engine cooling fan module.

Manufacturer Recall NumberW00
NHTSA Recall Number20V-036
Recall StatusRecall Incomplete, remedy not yet available
SummaryThe transmission shifter cable could separate, disconnecting the transmission shifter from the transmission, which could result in the inability of the driver to shift the transmission potentially resulting in the gear shift lever position not matching the transmission gear.
Safety RiskIf the transmission shifter becomes disconnected from the transmission, the vehicle may not perform the shifts intended by the driver. Unintended vehicle movement may occur which can cause a vehicle crash without prior warning and/or injury to others.
RemedyFCA US will conduct a Voluntary Safety Recall to replace the transmission shift cable.
I received my (second) W00 recall letter yesterday. This one advised to call to schedule the shift cable repair. When I called they bridged me on with my local dealership in Phoenix to schedule the appointment. Local dealership said they don't have the repair parts and have no ETA for when they will receive them. They just confirmed my phone number and will call when the parts come in. They mentioned that they won't get a lot of them - they tend to trickle in. Once they get a batch of them in they call to schedule your appointment and will hold the cable in your name for one month.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
I got my letter the other day (the 2nd one that says to make an appointment with a dealer). My problem is that my van is not insured for driving since I use it only for traveling (like an RV). I don't overly feel like insuring the van one day just to get the problem fixed. On the other hand, I'd be annoyed to find that it's, say, a month-long wait to get it fixed when I do make an appointment since I'd want to time it so that I get it fixed before the next time I go on a road trip (whenever that could be given the current circumstances...)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well all an update on transmission cable. I had mine replaced today at the dealer. Here's my story and your not going to like it.
I called my local dealer yesterday and I was put on a waiting list for the part. The service team said to call other dealers to see if they had any available. Called around nothing. Soo after an hour I called the number on the paper I got in the mail. The person was really nice. He got my info and asked me which dealer do I want to go.🤔 So I said the place I was on a waiting list for. I didn't tell him I was already on a waiting list. He put me on hold and he contacted the dealer. A few minutes late that service dealer called me back to set up an appt. I said i was confused since I just called them an hour ago.well guess what they said we have 169 of them but they are for the hertz account.WTF. He said the person that helped me out said they would replace their stock. So today was my appt. Got there and waited a few minutes.The service manager comes out to tell me he was sorry and that the part is backordered. Then I said I was given an appt today and your service team told me you had 169 of them .He gave me the look.. oh crap. He goes back in the office and gets on the phone pissed off. He sends someone else to talk to me and says ok your vehicle will be done in an hour. Soo what they are doing is since fleet vehicles are serviced through local dealers and getting $ ,we who use our vehicles as campers are getting the bad end of the stick.. Another guy in a promaster travato was getting his oil change done and I heard him say to do complete the recall and they didn't give him any excuse.. Soo I talked to the owner of the travato and he said maybe because I was getting work done on the vehicle. Sorry for the long reply

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Did the dealer know of Hertz's impending bankruptcy? They might need to worry if they'd get paid for their 169 repairs...

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Does anyone have any pictures of what to look for if I were to inspect the part in question?

·
Registered
3,200 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Don't they get paid by FCA since it's a safety recall? Why should they care who gets what part? It's not like Hertz is going to bring them 169 vans all at once. They should appreciate you getting the service done through them. Free parts through FCA and paid labor through FCA. The dealer getting upset about it sounds foolish. I'd pick a new dealership to work with next time if you have options

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'd third like pictures if anyone can manage it.

Travelvanvan, I'd wait for the fan recall to be available also if you're not currently driving it. Schedule both of them for before you leave, or even along the way if your local dealers are booked. Can do something in an area you want to stop anyway while they fix it. They might even give you a loaner for the couple/few hours

·
Registered
23 Posts
I made an appointment to get my cable repaired. Took it into the dealer today and he said they didn't have the part. Thanks for nothing. He said that all the repair kits are being sent to the dealers so they can fix their Promaster inventory so they can sell the vehicles. Said he could order the part for me and it would take at least 14 days to come in. #ramdoesntcare

·
Registered
116 Posts
That is lame, don't get why dealer don't help the current customer first plus we are one who is currently using the van, not just sitting in a lot wait to be purchase. Ram should enforce their dealer to help the current customer first. What happen to the Ram CS user who came in to intro themselves in the forum and never shows back up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I made an appointment to get my cable repaired. Took it into the dealer today and he said they didn't have the part. Thanks for nothing. He said that all the repair kits are being sent to the dealers so they can fix their Promaster inventory so they can sell the vehicles. Said he could order the part for me and it would take at least 14 days to come in. #ramdoesntcare
Hi, we can help to escalate a part for you and anyone else out there that might have similar concerns.
Just send us a PM with your VIN and dealer info to get started.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
390 Posts
My local dealer just told me that shifter cables are shipping 4 every 7 days to them. Which is a step up from 1 every 14 days. They have 70 pieces on order currently and will call me when my part arrives.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Call my dealer on June 2nd (2nd notice) about the cable recall and they ordered parts and to call back in 2-3 weeks. Well, today (3 weeks later) I called the dealer and they said the parts did not come in and they would reorder the cable parts. They are not sure when the reordered parts will be in!!!!!! (2-3 weeks????). Other dealers are about 50 miles away from me.

MLogan
2016 Cutaway Trend MH
Smyrna, TN

·
Registered
116 Posts
I said just DM the ram care above and they probably can set you up with your dealer.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I called my dealership yesterday and they said that FCA hadn't started manufacturing the replacement parts for the fan recall, just the shifter cable (which, having a diesel, doesn't apply to me).

21 - 39 of 39 Posts