1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a sucker for a longshot. In addition to Chubby -3500 extended
Stubby -2500 short wheelbase
Flabby -2500 lwb non extended

we now welcome
Crunchy -2500 lwb non extended

60,000 miles, mild conversion, $3000.

This one is going to be a real challenge. I dont have any formal bodywork skills, but I know how to beat on stuff with a hammer. I think I can fix it!

While it looks bad, there is actually zero mechanical damage, save for a mashed power steering cooler. Dude got hit in the reach hard by a dump truck, and pushed into the car in front of him. But it’s fine. I drove it into the trailer.

Initially, the idea was to fix it and sell it, because have you seen used car prices lately? But I am doubtful I can fix it so well that you wouldnt detect the damage. So now I’m thinking fix it and use it for expediting (trucking). Shippers dont care what it looks like.

If all that fails, I can strip it and scrap the carcass.

I suspect a long road ahead.
D37CEEF7-E9C5-4DD1-96C3-91817453B4CD.jpeg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
I am not sure how hard it will be to sell to a consumer, even imperfect.

If the alignment is good and no "frame" bending it will be fine.

My old van is getting in the range where it really needs to be replaced so I am starting to look around for lower end options.

Honestly really don't want anyone else's idea of a conversion, so that part would be stripped out anyway.

Is it a salvage title?

·
Registered
2019 159 EXT HR (3500) in WA
1,345 Posts
You will have it up and running 100,000's of miles in no time :)

I assume it is to add to your fleet, not for resale?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not sure how hard it will be to sell to a consumer, even imperfect.

If the alignment is good and no "frame" bending it will be fine.

My old van is getting in the range where it really needs to be replaced so I am starting to look around for lower end options.

Honestly really don't want anyone else's idea of a conversion, so that part would be stripped out anyway.

Is it a salvage title?
It was an insurance write off, so it will be a salvage title.
The hit in the front did zero damage to the frame stub, meaning it’s just the plastic bumper cover and the sheet metal around the headlight bucket. One of the things that sold me that this wont be a hard repair is the windshield isnt cracked meaning the windshield opening isnt jacked, and the hood and latch still work fine. The only actual damage in the front is a cut hose for the power steering cooler.
The crash fired both front airbags, but I research that and it wont be tough to replace and reprogram them.
The rear is going to be trickier. But two new doors and I think I can beat the opening back into shape without having to replace any bodywork.
The conversion was a roof vent, a drivers side window, and a window cut into the sliding door. Dude took his insurance money, and bought a 2021 and put those same windows in it. So I just need to cover those body holes with sheet metal. I think I’ll keep the roof vent.
Some more pics to follow. Dude took his offroad tires and roof rack to his new van.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And here you see on one of my other vans whats beind the bumper, and why the power steering was affected.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You will have it up and running 100,000's of miles in no time :)

I assume it is to add to your fleet, not for resale?
I’d entertain it. As I say, my bodywork skills are such that I would never be able to pass it off as perfect. But I think I can fix it well enough that a contractor or bargain hunter wouldnt care. Cosmetics aside, I could have it perfectly roadworthy in a week if I wanted to.

My skills lie in mechanical fixins’, so I’m always looking for vans with blown engines or transmissions. For me, the 60,000 miles is nice but these things get driven 10k a month so if I put it into freighter service it will quickly be worth very little.

But I’m open to anything.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What does salvage title do for insurance rates????

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
Funny you mention that. Nowhere on the Florida title does it say anything about salvage. I suppose I’ll find out when I put it in my name with an ohio title.
As to your question, no idea. I would think that would only matter to a finance company. An insurance company would only care about the replacement value, no?

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,508 Posts

·
Registered
Ex-Amazon 2019 PM 2500 159" high roof in KS
235 Posts
Funny you mention that. Nowhere on the Florida title does it say anything about salvage. I suppose I’ll find out when I put it in my name with an ohio title.
As to your question, no idea. I would think that would only matter to a finance company. An insurance company would only care about the replacement value, no?
My 2019 is a salvage title. I explicitly asked Geico, and they said that it being a salvage mattered exactly zero. It would be the cost to make it whole. I've heard that you can register it in other states, and the salvage/previous salvage goes away.

If your title doesn't say salvage on it, that's surprising and great! If it were a salvage title, one would have to take pictures, keep receipts, etc. to prove that it's now road worthy. It sounds like this isn't your first salvage rodeo.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Who is this magical man and where do I find him?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts