Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Promaster 2015 is a 159WB, bare bone.

I am converting it to an office on wheel (first) and an RV (second).

Learning from the good folks at builditsolar.com, I plan:

- Insulate the van using EZcool product (I bought it cheap at eBay, $240 for 400 sqft).
- Be green
using GoSun products http://www.gosunstove.com/
using 500 Watts Solar Liberator product https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/solar-liberator
using Road Shower product http://www.roadshower.com/
composte toilet using Natures' Head

I would appreciate any advice, guidance, comment.

Attachments

·
Registered
625 Posts
The Super77 adhesive spray may end up being a bit more 'temporary' than you expect. I've read many comments from folks that whatever they glued down with it ended up (slightly?) falling off after some time, especially with a heat load. Look to Super90 (I think) for a more permanent adhesive.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Yes I didn't know this before I used super77 and my insulation keep falling in different areas. I will also use super 90 for a permanent adhesive.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Hi,
The solar shower is very interesting -- had not seen that before.

It looks well made and price seems a bit high but not awful to me.

If you wanted to explore a DIY one, its seems like an about 8 ft length of 4 inch PVC pipe would give you about the same volume of water. The PVC is less conductive than the aluminum they make the road shower out of, but I don't think that would impact heat up time by much as the PVC pipe wall is still much more conductive than the water boundary layer on the inside of the pipe. I could be wrong about this -- an experiment with a short lengths of metal and PVC pipe would answer the question -- I'll give this a try tomorrow if I have the stuff on hand and we get sun.

I'd take the warnings about scalding seriously -- I think you could see 180F on a warm, sunny, still day. It would be nice to work out a way to mix in cold water with the heated water. Maybe a bucket of cold water on the roof with a pipe out the bottom that you could Tee in with the road shower?

Please let us know how this works out if you do give it a try.

Gary

·
Registered
886 Posts
I used to have a PVC pipe solar shower mounted to the roof of my camper shell on a pickup truck. I mounted mine inside, to the roof.

I got the idea after seeing a product like www.roadshower.com years ago.

With mine, I refilled it by removing sprayer and connecting to garden hose. All with quick disconnect fittings. Pressure filling it backwards. I installed tiny air vent line with valve to allow pressure to escape when back filling and gravity drain when showering.

It sprayed pretty good. Water ran a long time. I built mine in a large loop.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like your plan and products so far. Have you already sent your money for the Solar Liberator? They have yet to ship a product and it's been over a year. Exciting idea but we shall see if they ever deliver.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Hi Jostalli,

I alseady commited the money looooong time ago. I hope that Solar Liberator will go through for me.

I have to confess that I DON'T KNOW anything about car nor electrical wiring. I don't even know how to handle the the basic things like cutting, installing windows. Tháts wahy I plan to get products (like Solar Liberator) already packaged to save time - and giref -.

Hi,
The solar shower is very interesting -- had not seen that before.

It looks well made and price seems a bit high but not awful to me.

If you wanted to explore a DIY one, its seems like an about 8 ft length of 4 inch PVC pipe would give you about the same volume of water. The PVC is less conductive than the aluminum they make the road shower out of, but I don't think that would impact heat up time by much as the PVC pipe wall is still much more conductive than the water boundary layer on the inside of the pipe. I could be wrong about this -- an experiment with a short lengths of metal and PVC pipe would answer the question -- I'll give this a try tomorrow if I have the stuff on hand and we get sun.

I'd take the warnings about scalding seriously -- I think you could see 180F on a warm, sunny, still day. It would be nice to work out a way to mix in cold water with the heated water. Maybe a bucket of cold water on the roof with a pipe out the bottom that you could Tee in with the road shower?

Please let us know how this works out if you do give it a try.

Gary
Hi Gary,

I will put both of them close to the roof inside the van. I want to use them because they are very well made and already have the pressurize part built in. I don't have to run wiring for the pump. One would be used for drinking water, the other for shower etc...

I used to have a PVC pipe solar shower mounted to the roof of my camper shell on a pickup truck. I mounted mine inside, to the roof.

I got the idea after seeing a product like www.roadshower.com years ago.

With mine, I refilled it by removing sprayer and connecting to garden hose. All with quick disconnect fittings. Pressure filling it backwards. I installed tiny air vent line with valve to allow pressure to escape when back filling and gravity drain when showering.

It sprayed pretty good. Water ran a long time. I built mine in a large loop.
Hi Dwight,

Can you tell me more about your quick disconnect fitting? I bought a 75 ft Pocket Hose (the kind that shrinks down to nothimg when thers' no water in the hose) to do the filling.

Yes I didn't know this before I used super77 and my insulation keep falling in different areas. I will also use super 90 for a permanent adhesive.
Thanks for the advice Adrian :)

Most of the stuff I bought are heavily discounted (the Nature's Head toilet for $399, EzCool $400... ). My budget for the mobile office is 10,000 max.

Major purchases so far:

Solar Liberator: Almost free (I bought a 25watt, a 100 watts and a 500watts. I presold the first two. My true cost for the 500watts is less than $120. Indiegogo.com)
EzCool 400 ft = $240 (eBay "Make an offer")
Composte toilet: $399 (eBay auction)
SolarShower: $279 X 2 (kickstarter.com)
GoSun Stove: 1 Pro $299. 1 Mini $69.
Compact kitchen including2 stove an a small fridge: $299 (eBay auction)

·
Super Moderator
8,987 Posts
You certainly can edit you posts for quite a long time afterwards. People here do it all the time. There is some kind of time limit like 24 hours I believe but I'm not positive.

As a test I just went back and made an edit to a post I made on 3/7/15 with no problem. I may be able to edit old posts as a moderator, however, I'm not sure?. Maybe Guy T knows? We moderators get different options and formatting than the general public so it's not always just a simple call.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Caliguy I used the garden hose quick disconnect fittings from Home Depot. Then to refill, I removed spray nozzle, connected a short 6" piece of hose that had correct quick disconnect fittings to allow my garden hose to connect and reverse fill.

It required this 6" reversing adapter because I couldn't get the fittings worked out any other way.

You'll figure out the fitting issue when you try it.

I don't think a self retracting hose will work as good though. It's gravity flow. Might slow flow down. You do get some pressure flow from the heat build up and back filling with the garden hose.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
You certainly can edit you posts for quite a long time afterwards. People here do it all the time. There is some kind of time limit like 24 hours I believe but I'm not positive.

As a test I just went back and made an edit to a post I made on 3/7/15 with no problem. I may be able to edit old posts as a moderator, however, I'm not sure?. Maybe Guy T knows? We moderators get different options and formatting than the general public so it's not always just a simple call.
KOV,

Just an FYI,

Us regular folks are able to edit for about 10 minutes after we post then the edit button disappears.

Once or twice in the last few days, when I went to hit the Quote or Edit button, the text entry window did come up blank... figured it was a glitch!

Not complaining, just figured you might want to know ;)

Ed

·
Super Moderator
8,987 Posts
Thanks Eddie, that's good to know! No one tells us a lot of these things. I just assumed because I can edit posts any time I want everyone can but, obviously that's not so!

Perhaps we should ask the powers to be to extend the edit post time as 10 minutes isn't much?

KOV

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Hi,
It would be nice to be able to correct things or add something you left out of a post for a longer period.

Not complaining, but wondering what the reason is for not allowing the original author to be able to edit indefinitely -- lots of forums do allow this.

Gary

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,825 Posts
It can be a bit awkward when someone edits out what someone else has responded to. One person might respond to the original post, the next person respond to the amended post, then it gets messy. The computer can't tell whether you are just correcting your grammar/spelling or completely changing the content.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Perhaps my member status is not high enough, I can not edit after 10 minutes :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Caliguy I used the garden hose quick disconnect fittings from Home Depot. Then to refill, I removed spray nozzle, connected a short 6" piece of hose that had correct quick disconnect fittings to allow my garden hose to connect and reverse fill.

It required this 6" reversing adapter because I couldn't get the fittings worked out any other way.

You'll figure out the fitting issue when you try it.

I don't think a self retracting hose will work as good though. It's gravity flow. Might slow flow down. You do get some pressure flow from the heat build up and back filling with the garden hose.
Dwight, got it!

I can add pressure to the Road Shower by pumping it with a hand pump, a CO2 cartridge pump, a tire inflator or a compressor. When pressurized, I can jet water to around 45-50 ft. Thats' one of the main reason I choose Road Shower.

·
Super Moderator
8,987 Posts
It can be a bit awkward when someone edits out what someone else has responded to. One person might respond to the original post, the next person respond to the amended post, then it gets messy. The computer can't tell whether you are just correcting your grammar/spelling or completely changing the content.
That's true, but ten minutes seems a bit to short to me. Certainly 12 hours would be more desirable. I know I go back all the time and edit my posts for clarity, spelling, extra info, etc. I just didn't realise everyone else couldn't.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Perhaps my member status is not high enough, I can not edit after 10 minutes :)
This is not true. I have been here for awhile and only get about 10 minutes too.:eek:

Some times if I need to write something big, I would use another program and
copy and paste from there. That way I can make sure it is right.

On topic, I really interested in that hot water thingy.Thanks for the link.:).

1 - 20 of 55 Posts