Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I safely remove my hub caps? My valve cap has fallen inside of the hub cap and it doesn't want to come off. Are those lug nuts for show or do they serve a purpose? Do I just pry around the outside the circumference of the hub cap with a big tire jack handle. I am afraid I'm going to break my hub caps if I force something. Thanks.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Can't say for sure because I have the alloy wheels, but I recall someone saying that a couple of the lugs need to be loosened to release the wheel cover.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Can't say for sure because I have the alloy wheels, but I recall someone saying that a couple of the lugs need to be loosened to release the wheel cover.
All of the lug bolts need to be removed to remove the hubcaps, either the base model or full wheel covers

The hubcaps are held in place by the 5 lug bolts. One hole has a slot to make it easier to re-mount.

My PM came with base hubcaps, that I replaced with the full covers.

Also, jack the van so the wheel is barely off the ground because the wheel/tire is heavy!

Prying will most definitely crack some plastic (and the hubcap still won't come off!)

Ed

·
Registered
338 Posts
All of the lug bolts need to be removed to remove the hubcaps, either the base model or full wheel covers

The hubcaps are held in place by the 5 lug bolts. One hole has a slot to make it easier to re-mount.

My PM came with base hubcaps, that I replaced with the full covers.

Also, jack the van so the wheel is barely off the ground because the wheel/tire is heavy!

Prying will most definitely crack some plastic (and the hubcap still won't come off!)

Ed
I read that some have replaced the stock hub caps with covers? Does anybody have pictures of these covers? I have never been able to find any info. about these.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I read that some have replaced the stock hub caps with covers? Does anybody have pictures of these covers? I have never been able to find any info. about these.
That's what I did. Easy changeover, but each tire had to be unbolted to remove the old hubcaps and attach the new wheel covers.

The OEM wheel covers look like this...pretty close to the aluminum wheel option look. I think it improves a lot on the basic hubcap look. Cost about $125 a set of 4 if you shop around on the web. Just google "ram promaster wheel cover" Uses the same wheel stud bolts.

Ed

·
Premium Member
8,725 Posts
This is why I am ordering the Aluminum wheels. I don't like the look of the steel wheel for a campervan and I can't see having $180 worth of plastic BOLTED to the hubs.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
SO.... the 'new' wheel covers are bolted on as well??
All lug nuts have to be removed too to get them off??
YEP! all 5 lugbolts off. Hubcap off. Wheel cover on. All 5 lugbolts back on....

Not bad with a floor jack. Jacking points are easy to use. IF you lift just slightly off the ground, the wheels/tires are manageable, otherwise, they're HEAVY!

I wondered about the under-the-lugbolt design, but I guess they've been doing it for years... and you'll never see one of your hubcaps go spinning down the road! (unless your wheel and tire is right behind!)

I googled "68157838AB" and found them for $125 a set of four. Big savings over the aluminum wheels, even though they are definitely nicer.

Ed

·
Super Moderator
9,090 Posts
I've been researching them (full Fiat Ducatto hubcaps) on European websites. In The UK they seem to go for about 59 pounds ($93 more or less) which is pretty cheap! I know Ram charges some ridicules price for them like $200 - $250 if you order them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Fiat-16-Wheel-Trims-4-Wheel-Ducato-Van-or-Motorhome-Blue-Logo-Set-of-4/231353238946?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20131017132637&meid=784c8d3677fc461a877b58d1b92abb0b&pid=100033&prg=20131017132637&rk=3&rkt=4&sd=181064255253

·
Premium Member
8,725 Posts
This raises the question of importing Ducato products for our Promasters. BTW the seat swivels are about !30 euros including VAT which is about 20 percent and not due on orders out of the EU. The exchange rate is not much different so the swivels would be about $135 US $ they are $265 here. Perhaps we need someone ready for such products to try buying them on Ebay EU or Ebay UK? I have bought motorcycle parts directly from Germany, no VAT and about $ 45 shipping for any reasonable sized package. Those wheel covers would be about $65 plus shipping! Seems cheep. How about it keeponvaning?

·
Super Moderator
9,090 Posts
I have contacts in D that can and will send me anything that can be mailed (my grill for example) that I can afford, but I perfer to go on "shopping trips" on my own while in the EU. You do usually have to pay the VAT when you buy it in person (but I've even avoided that before) but if you can fit it in your luggage shipping costs are negated. Unfortunately the airlines are starting to get greedy on international flights also but you would not believe some of the things I have brought home with me in the past!

I've discovered eBay.uk to be a good source of parts and as a plus they sort of speak English;) and don't nind shipping. I had friends buy some tires for their antique car and they came in the mail, in Less than a week, with just a shipping label on each one, from England and the total cost was half the U.S. cost. I just bought a complete exaust system (muffler, resonator, 3 pipes and all clamps and hardware) from NL last summer for $150 inc shipping - the U.S. price was $200 just for the muffler alone plus shipping!

I am contemplating a shopping trip in the Spring as a mater of fact.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
But they say RAM on them!
Well, they don't actually say RAM, but there is a picture of one!;) It looks a lot like the rams on the back door and steering wheel.

The doors, on the other hand, do say RAM. I was OK with that, but I removed the red/black PROMASTER text strip on the doors. Looks much better. The PROMASTER text makes the PM look like a big Craftsman toolbox from Sears!

IMHO, of course....

Ed

·
Super Moderator
9,090 Posts
I removed everything but the 2500 on each side - looks a lot better!

·
Premium Member
8,725 Posts
Hey I could get into replacing all the badges with Fiat, so Euro! Then if it quits no one will be surprised. Or maybe just Ducato! I suppose my Ram dealer will still recognize it? I would want to get the warranty work done. Oh I just got a thought... Peugeot Jumper 1500!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts