Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, making my obligatory post from Saint Paul. Bought a 2014 159 and am converting it fully. Floor, insulation, bed, ceiling, and most of the electrical are in. Taking it for a weekend outing this weekend and then I'll be tackling the galley, shower, and finishing it up.

·
Registered
2019 Ram PM 3500 High Top 159" WB EXT
60 Posts
Welcome! Are you planning on using it in the winter there? Hope your insulation is thorough and you've got a solid heater haha, I imagine MN winters to be brutal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are, but I'm not planning on using it in the winter much if any. In fact ideally I'd like to rent it out on Outdoorsy and do so in Arizona over the winter. That said, it should be fine in winter temps with the insulation I did. We'll see what happens this winter!

·
Registered
136" 2500 HR Gasser - Build Mode Activated
28 Posts
@ddn I am in Minneapolis, just starting. In the buying process actually but have a solid prospect on a vehicle. It's actually getting an inspection today. Sounds like I have similar goals to you (except for the renting out piece).
A few questions, knowing our winters: What insulation approach did you go for and why?
Are you running AGM or Lithium batteries? Read Lithium doesn't do so great in the cold.
Have you looked into getting any protection sprayed on the underbody? My boss had this done on a new car and wondering if it would be worth investigating adding to a used vehicle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did Havelock wool insulation, seemed like the best combination of performance and installation ease and flexibility. With all the holes and weird surfaces rigid foam was a non-starter and because this is my first van and I have no idea what all I will want to do or add spray-foam was not a good option either.

Lithium batteries, not too concerned about winter performance in general but overall they are also the clear winner in terms of overall performance, weight, and cost.

I have not looked into undercoating, although I did spot-coat holes that had been drilled by the PO. It might be worth it if you plan to use it in MN a lot and you're certain there's zero existing rust. If there is already rust you are just going to prolong the inevitable explosion of rust.

·
Super Moderator
9,057 Posts
Wool - baaaa. I don’t why people want to us this sh**. Just because it’s easy doesn’t make it better! I wouldn’t use it if it was free🤭

·
Super Moderator
9,057 Posts
Ha, ha, no, I know better😉😉😉

Wool is for people who don’t know any better. At least when the smell,gets to you or the moisture starts raining down you can pull it out, have it spun into yarn and make a sweater with it to keep warm🤔

1 - 9 of 9 Posts