Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was gonna do a 24v system but turns out the battery manufacturer (bigbattery.com) no longer recommends series connections and it would void my warranty so 12v it is! any glaring issues here before i pull the trigger on some wire and fuse buys? i might run 4/0 wire to the inverter as well per prowse's recommendation (pic from prowse's book).
Font Rectangle Circle Number Paper product

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2018 159 High Roof gas, BC, Canada
1,755 Posts
Not an expert but at first glance, it seems ok. (I'll let other more knowledgeable people comment more.)

I like having a bit more control and so I have a breaker between the solar panels and my solar charge controller. I have seen it highly recommended that you cut power from the solar panels to the SCC before disconnecting it from the battery lest it doesn't know what to do with possibly hundreds of watts of incoming power. So I use the breaker more as a switch. You may want to as well.

I'm a bit of a nerd and so I have breakers (often to act as switches) for many of my components.

I have a similarly big inverter. You could be playing with 200+ amps. Make sure you know how to make good crimps and connections. It's not just about having 4/0 cable. A fire can result from poor crimps and connections with high or even modestly high current.

You may want to look into the correct way to wire up 4 batteries in parallel. Your diagram shows simply connecting pos-to-pos and neg-to-neg. Diagrammatically, it's "correct" but even with the small resistances of copper wire, the unequal distances of wiring involved in wiring it the "simple way" could mean that some batteries are drawn from and charged more than others resulting in lowered battery life.

·
Registered
81 Posts
4/0 seems like overkill for your battery cables unless the distance is large. I've used: Wire Size Calculator

My sister who is an electrical engineer double checked the formulas. Has worked great so far.
250A can run through 14ft of 2/0 with a 2% voltage drop. I'm about overkill, but you can definitely save some money there.

People are really torn about breakers vs fuses. I've really enjoyed having breakers between my panels and my charge controller (and you shouldn't disconnect panels under load anyway). Had a funny moment the other day when I was working on my outside lights, main battery switch off, and I was still getting voltage through the lines. Realized that my ~680w of solar was generating enough amperage for it to be noticeable.

Not at all a safety issue, but nice to have.

I've also enjoyed having a breaker between my various components and my main bus bar. I think with the Victron Lynx (is that what the main bus is?) you can shut off individual loads. Regardless having the ability to do that is nice when you don't want to shut off everything to work on a specific part.

If you do buy breakers, buy nice ones. Optifuse/NTE are good manufacturers (and some others have been posted about here)

·
Registered
2017 - 2500 159
1,447 Posts
yeah breaker for DC loads is nice, to disconnect and still let solar keep charging the batteries. I also have the breaker for solar panels, and one for the B2B charger, but I haven't used (manually shut off) that one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts