·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cargo/ delivery Hauler

Trades Work Vehicle

Recreational use

Family vehicle

I myself, am looking at it for recreational purposes.

What about you?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Cargo/ delivery Hauler

Trades Work Vehicle

Recreational use

Family vehicle

What about you?
a Promaster for recreational purposes... Interesting, what do you have in mind for it? I could see it being beneficial to someone who does alot of biking for example or as a support truck for a small weekend warrior race team, certainly enough space for a mini shop back there...

But I mean otherwise the Promaster isnt very recreational, It will drive like a minivan and wont be able to get you to any remote locations.

Curious what you have planned...

·
Registered
654 Posts
I am thinking of an extended wheelbase for hauling motorcycles. Then the front part could be a camper. The Promaster is wide enough to have two streetbikes side by side.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
a Promaster for recreational purposes... Interesting, what do you have in mind for it? I could see it being beneficial to someone who does alot of biking for example or as a support truck for a small weekend warrior race team, certainly enough space for a mini shop back there...

But I mean otherwise the Promaster isnt very recreational, It will drive like a minivan and wont be able to get you to any remote locations.

Curious what you have planned...
I'll be converting it to a camper van and using it for weekend fly fishing excursions mostly. I've had several 4x4 rigs over the years and know that for the vast majority of my trips, that 2wd is sufficient. I don't have to deal with much mud out here in California.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Cargo/ delivery Hauler

Trades Work Vehicle

Recreational use

Family vehicle

What about you?
Cargo and delivery. Absolutely.

That's what it's designed for. It looks like a fuel economy and total cargo capacity winner among full size vans.

·
Registered
100 Posts
family shouldn't be listed since the PM is just a cargo van and even if you were to mount seats with seat belts back their it would be pointless

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'll be converting it to a camper van and using it for weekend fly fishing excursions mostly. I've had several 4x4 rigs over the years and know that for the vast majority of my trips, that 2wd is sufficient. I don't have to deal with much mud out here in California.
Very cool, will you be cutting up your promaster yourself or is there a shop or something that specializes in this type of conversion?

As a side note i wonder what this does to the ambulance market, im sure a Promaster could make a good ambulance, same with the Transit. Maybe even useful to Fire Departments...

Eventually I'd like to find a second Promaster used to use as a mini race hauler. The first will be for work, but the second one will have all my tools, tires and a nap area in the back, I expect The GWVR to be enough to carry the gear and tow the ride on the trailer...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yea, if people want to carry around people mostly, there are other full-size vans that are for passengers. The Promaster is more for cargo/delivery.

·
Registered
386 Posts
interesting. post up some photos if you ever get around to it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
family shouldn't be listed since the PM is just a cargo van and even if you were to mount seats with seat belts back their it would be pointless
Did you know that the Fiat Ducato that the PM is based on has been configured for all these tasks for years now. 2/3 of the European RV market is based on this platform.

Search FIAT Ducato.uk to see all the possibilities

·
Registered
654 Posts
I think that since the euro version, the Ducato, has a passenger configuration; doubtless that the PM will be eventually offered as a passenger version (in fact, the PM has option to include full glazing in the configurator):
http://www.fiatprofessional.co.uk/uk/Models/Ducato_Passenger_Transport

The Ducato Combi

Space within space

The solution designed especially for the combined transport of people and goods.

• From 5 to 9 seats.
  • A load volume of 1.7 to 11.5 m³.
  • Glazed body.
  • 2 wheelbases, 2 heights.
  • the seats of the 2nd and 3rd rows can be folded, stacked and removed to create more space for goods.
  • Side panels with generous and convenient storage compartments.
  • Maximum comfort and optimum air distribution thanks to the under-ceiling ducts, with individual vents for each passenger.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think that since the euro version, the Ducato, has a passenger configuration; doubtless that the PM will be eventually offered as a passenger version (in fact, the PM has option to include full glazing in the configurator):
http://www.fiatprofessional.co.uk/uk/Models/Ducato_Passenger_Transport

The Ducato Combi

Space within space

The solution designed especially for the combined transport of people and goods.

• From 5 to 9 seats.
  • A load volume of 1.7 to 11.5 m³.
  • Glazed body.
  • 2 wheelbases, 2 heights.
  • the seats of the 2nd and 3rd rows can be folded, stacked and removed to create more space for goods.
  • Side panels with generous and convenient storage compartments.
  • Maximum comfort and optimum air distribution thanks to the under-ceiling ducts, with individual vents for each passenger.
Ok but what you have to keep in mind is that RAM will not be bringing over the Ducato Passenger variants or the Ducato RV's. Domestic vans have a long history of being converted to RVs but those are done by outside companies who simply purchase a cab on frame and work from there.

As for a Promaster passenger van do you really think FIAT/Dodge/RAM is going to cannibalize sales of their own Grand Caravan?

·
Registered
50 Posts
As for a Promaster passenger van do you really think FIAT/Dodge/RAM is going to cannibalize sales of their own Grand Caravan?
View my first post in this thread

http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11510

Robert Hegbloom says one is coming it is just a matter of when not if. I doubt a passenger version of the PM would cannibalize the GC. Totally different markets. The PM passenger van would appeal to organizations that need a shuttle bus such as churches, retirement homes, hotels etc.

I worked for a high end furniture manufacture. We had a passenger van to shuttle clients around. We would remove the seats and use it as a delivery vehicle when we had just one or two pieces. A minivan would not have been large enough.

This is why I would consider a passenger van as a dual purpose vehicle.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think majority on here will be using it for a work truck just depends on what trade it is. The promaster could be a great carpenter truck but also could be customized to suit just about any trade.

·
Registered
654 Posts
The PM passenger version can be configured on the shortest wheelbase with 5-9 seats. But on the longest wheelbases (with std body), they can have up to 13-16 passengers. The Grand Caravan can't carry that many people. With that many seats, it really isn't competing with the Caravan, it is going after the institutional and commercial market.

I also doubt that this will hurt Caravan sales, because you must remember that the Chrysler vans are now being sold in Europe, Asia and other export markets.

I think the FIAT Doblo (RAM Promaster City) will hurt Caravan sales more than the PM will, but Marchionne is going to do what he wants to complete with the Ford Transit Connect.

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2013/06/doblo-confirmed

·
Registered
399 Posts
As a passenger van, the Promaster could carry people in wheelchairs or scooters with little more than the addition of a bolt-in lift. All other vans, including conventional full-size, require hacking the body to gain the required headroom (minimum 52" for my wife). The Promaster should cost considerably less, last longer, and be easier to resell.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
20 Participants
Obrian
Ram Promaster Forum
We’re a community forum dedicated to Promaster enthusiasts to discuss mods, camper conversions, diesel, fuel economy, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing