Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spoke to someone that owned a 2014 and was not happy at all. According to the owner blew out a transmission and engine with less than 90k miles. Fortunately for him it's still under warranty.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
I have 22,000 miles on my diesel and not one issue! Love this van. Of the many thousands of posters here we have VERY few engine or transmission issues. Count ‘em on one hand!

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
883 Posts
I have a 2014 gas and have only had TSB's and recalls, which required a visit to the dealer. Otherwise it's been perfect. I now have 33,700miles.

·
Registered
186 Posts
My first 2015 PM was a rough go, Dealer was not prepared to work on them and eventually FCA stepped in with a replacement. Not an easy process, but in the end they made it right. The 2016 now has 40K on it, 4 oil changes and tire rotations is it for maintenance. Great rig and happy I don't have to go back to the local dealer.

For me Thumbs up, Five stars or heck even a 10 on my 2016.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hmmm.....after 53500 km since May of 2015, two oil changes, one ignition recall, one rad. exchange,(both dealt with promptly and professionally by dealer)and returning from a 17 day trip to B.C. (9700 km,avg 35.25 mpg...29.38mpg US) during which the van performed flawlessly, I would say it rates very high compared to my two previous MB vans.

·
Super Moderator
10,196 Posts
53k miles on mine and it runs like a clock. I love it and would buy another without question. It blows my old Sprinter away in every in every aspect!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a 2014 and mechanically it has been great. Other than that it is a cheaply made vehicle that has many annoying parts and pieces that constantly break or malfunction. Too many plastic parts IMO. Door latches suck. Interior plastic parts such as dash assembly are no good either. I'm not even hard on my stuff.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have an early 14 hi top gasser. Bought new with 500 demo miles on it last Sept. I love it!

Not perfect. Brakes squeal a bit. Needed the radiator changed. Had a oil pressure sensor go bad. All fixed quickly under warranty. Only 9k miles on it as of today. I'm un-employed/retired and don't get to use it as much as I want. I'll do it's second oil change at the end of summer. I use full synthetic Pennzoil every 5k miles. Very easy to change the oil and filter in this van!

Love to drive it. Love the visibility and handling. Excellent acceleration. Strong brakes. Didn't like the silly cup holders, so I installed a center console from a mini van using industrial Velcro. Stable enough for my use. Has 4 great cup holders plus storage now.

No door issues. No issues with all the factory accessories. Cruise still works great. Took it out to the mountains camping in July. Had a great trip. Ran like a top.

Slowly turning it into a camper. My third solar cell was delivered today..... smashed. Bummer. Two only just get the job done. Have 200 watts solar on the roof charging 2 90 amp/hr deep cycle batteries. 500 watt pure sine inverter to power a small fridge. Its great to not have to buy ice for a cooler! Once I have the third solar panel up I'll insulate and panel the ceiling, then the walls. I have about 100 sq ft of sound insulation in it. Very quiet on the freeway at 70 mph. Like a quiet mid sized car!

All in all, call me a happy owner. At the rate I am using it up, this could be the last vehicle I need!

·
Super Moderator
10,196 Posts
Changing your oil ever 5k miles is a waste of money. Mine regularly goes 8500 - 9000 miles between changes as specified by the oil change warning system. One reason to use full synthetic is because it's designed to go that far between changes. I'm talking gas engine here, of course.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
1,999 Posts
Hi,
I have a 2014 gas engine converted to a camper.

Overall, I'm happy with it. There were a couple recalls which were handled by the dealer with no problems.
Squeaky brakes were an ongoing issue, but last time at the dealer, they replaced the pads and this has eliminated the problem. Dealer did not charge anything for this even though my 1500 van did not qualify for the service bulletin that was issued for the 2500 and 3500. Why FCA did not include the 1500 is completely beyond me.

Dealer has been very good -- responsive and competent. I've not been charged for anything but oil changes so far. I'd rate the FCA corporation at something like a C- -- they just don't seem to have their act together. But, compared to the woes you hear from MB owners I'm really glad I did not go that way.

The PM is a pleasure to drive -- great visibility, rides and drives pretty much like a car. I like the 20 mpg I'm getting as long as I pay attention to my driving -- this is twice as good as my last RV!!

This is the story on my conversion: http://www.buildagreenrv.com/our-conversion/

Gary

·
Registered
538 Posts
Changing your oil ever 5k miles is a waste of money. Mine regularly goes 8500 - 9000 miles between changes as specified by the oil change warning system. One reason to use full synthetic is because it's designed to go that far between changes. I'm talking gas engine here, of course.
If I were doing lots of hiway trips, I'd agree with you. But my van is used mostly for short errands around town and then camping trips every couple months. So due to time and driving short errands, I change every 5k. That is changing it every 6 months the way I drive. As a ex nuclear power tech, I am very conservative as a mechanic.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Perhaps you could send your old oil to KOV and he could run it another 5K? Earth resources and all that.

Reactions: Rich Maund

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have owned our 2014 diesel promaster 13 months now, as a delivery driver I accumulate more miles than most in a quicker time. I enjoyed driving our van. However it has been at the dealer shop a total 13 weeks over transmission issues during that time. The longest visit was 8 weeks; after I got it back I drove 1300 miles before getting a similar issue. I got it on last Friday evening and returned it on the following Monday morning. No word on what they think is wrong this time; over a week. I have 117,000 miles on it; I have met only 1 other diesel owner with over 100,000 miles. His van sat at the dealer for 3 1/2 month before getting his transmission repaired. I talked to him this week; he has about 20,000 miles since his repair with no issues yet. Lots of diesel owners have said their van are trouble free. Most of those guys have less than 50,000 miles. My van was mostly trouble free til it hit 58,000 miles. after a 19 day stay at the shop it was mostly trouble free til 116,000 miles. I have driven it 1300 miles since 02 June ( 1 trip) it has been out of the shop 2 days since 02 June. It is still at the shop. Reliable as a delivery van? mines NOT.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Oh yeah I forgot to mention headlights, I have replaced 4 driver side bulbs and 2 passenger side bulbs. This seems to be a promaster issue not just diesel issue. I got a running light out too. I have to get it back from the shop to address that issue.

·
Registered
27 Posts
2014 2500 159WB High Roof
So far I seem to be having more issues than most with just under 54k miles.

Wipers once turned off with still keep going. Then randomly turn themselves off.
AC just started randomly blowing hot air, then will get cold again.
Brakes were so squeaky but light just came on for changing the bass so hopefully new pads/different pads solve this.
The wiring going to the back door just cut itself from opening and closing the back doors. So back door stopped locking.
The RAM business link is a joke. Dealer has no idea what is or any help.

2014 1500 136WB High Roof
Other van has just over 20k miles and only issues with it are squeaky breaks and back doors get stuck closed randomly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That is exactly what happened to me. All 4 wires just sliced in half.

Just got in van to run service call. No AC is not fun in 90 plus degrees temps.

Also I forgot to add my dash outside temp gauge has gone crazy. Currently 3 dashes but was reading 172 last week then 0 then normal temp.
I'm thinking I have some electrical issues for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
That is exactly what happened to me. All 4 wires just sliced in half.

Just got in van to run service call. No AC is not fun in 90 plus degrees temps.

Also I forgot to add my dash outside temp gauge has gone crazy. Currently 3 dashes but was reading 172 last week then 0 then normal temp.
I'm thinking I have some electrical issues for sure.
When reading 172 have a friend watch the gauge and reach under the dash
and wiggle wire harness also under hood. See what happens.

Try this also. Unconnected the battery and leave it for 20 minutes. Now while
the battery is unconnected undo all the levertype electrical connecters (one at a time). Under dash and under hood. Check for moisture and reconnect.

You will loose time and such (memory) when you reconnect battery. Sound to me like a dirty, bad or wet connection. Test with test light all fuses too.(While motor is running) There are little tabs that you can fit the test light in the fuses. There are two tabs on each fuse. Both should turn test light on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
79.000 in my 2014 diesel purchased in January. Over all I love it, however it is currently in the shop with a dx of bcm / software issue that is preventing the use of a right low beam. I run long and always use my lights... We shall see how this resolves. Thank God for warranties

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 95 Posts