Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question refers to the thinner struts running vertically between the larger horizontal ones. How does one go about removing them to install a window? What tools are needed and what steps should one follow to give the job the appearance of being done by a pro and not an amateur hack?

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Drilled out the spot welds and carefully cut out the one in the slider with a cutting wheel in a Dremel, then applied Rustoleum paint over the bare metal. None of it will show in our build.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You and Steve are a few months ahead of me on your builds and seem to be asking all the questions that will arise for me. Keep me posted on the window install, I survived my vent install but the windows will cause me a little more worry when I get there.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Steve, are these spot welds where the strut attaches to the horizontal supports? I can see what look like small circles there. And the dremel is used where the strut is fastened to the panel?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Thanks Steve, are these spot welds where the strut attaches to the horizontal supports? I can see what look like small circles there. And the dremel is used where the strut is fastened to the panel?
Yes that's what he is talking about. Drill out those spots and they come off really easily.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Yes that's what he is talking about. Drill out those spots and they come off really easily.
Yep, just like Josh says. Only the vertical in the slider isn't spot welded, so it needs to be cut out carefully. You may be able to temporarily slide something behind it to protect the outer body panel while you cut. Several shallow passes with a Dremel cut-off wheel does it nicely. If you've never used one before, be aware it's normal for them to wear out fast and break a lot. An angle grinder would work too. I just felt more comfortable with me wee Dremel.

Oh, and if after drill out a spot weld, the vertical still won't move, use an old wood chisel (etc) to break the rest of the weld.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,709 Posts
To avoid damage to the sheet metal, I drilled the spot welds out. The brace came loose at the top and bottom. Then, I used some fishing line to cut the foam that "glues" the supports to the sheet metal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts