Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm shopping for a PM - a 1500 or 2500 136 HR - and I'm a bit wary of issues around the 2014 models, being the first year these were in production. However I would prefer to buy used to save some money, and ruling out 2014s takes most of the used options away.

What are folks' thoughts on the risk of a 2014 vs a more costly 2015?

And is there a list somewhere of differences/fixes between the 2014 and 2015+ models?

Thanks in advance for any info!

- Kevin

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,821 Posts
Many of us on this forum have 2014’s. Few of us have had problems except mundane recalls.

More important, as with any used vehicle, make sure you know why it's back on the market. People tend to love these vans too much to just get rid of them for no good reason.

Also consider the 2014’s still on dealers' lots, probably because of poor early marketing (I didn't know it even existed til July 2014.) As part of the deal, get the dealer to replace battery, fluids, and maybe tires.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Watch out for the "Breaks" too. I heard the "Breaks" can be bad on them :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I bought a left over '14 HT gasser in Sept. Saved me big bucks over a '15. Its almost up to its first service now. Granted I drive it lightly. Mostly errands for my shop. But in almost 5k miles, it has been near flawless. The brakes squeal a bit at low speeds. But they work really well so I don't worry about it. Other than that, no issues. Very glad I got it! Mine had 500 demo miles on it when I got it. Maybe the dealer had to work out any initial bugs? I dunno. But its been great for me.

·
Registered
106 Posts
2014 diesel here. I had plenty of issues in the first 6 months, probably was without the van for a total of 2 weeks in that time frame. I have to say I was pretty miffed, my van is my living...no van no work no money, I've never had a new vehicle with so many issues.

It's been fine now for a few months but I honestly have to say I'm a bit wary going forward.

However...I saved big time $$ purchasing the '14, basically got a diesel for $4000 under a '16 gasser, it's a no brainer IMO. I figured the first year out with any product and you're going to be the beta test for the manufacturer, I was willing to do that considering the savings.

The van itself is a game changer for me (construction), the mileage is outstanding, I got the high top and wow...what a difference. And it drives better than my truck! I have the squealing brakes but I don't care one bit, it's a work van so I over look stuff that would drive me crazy on my personal vehicles.

In the end it's been painful up front and hopefully all the kinks are worked out...would I do it again? At this point the answer is yes...check back in a year.

Reactions: RDinNHandAZ

·
Registered
552 Posts
Depending on what part of the country you are in, you may be able to travel a little to get a new 2015 for less than a local 2014. Some dealers have huge discounts on all their inventory and tend to sell on volume based pricing. I'm still shopping and always looking, and I've come across a 2016 3500 loaded diesel that was $8000 off of list and a bare bones 3500 extended diesel for under $30.

If you do look at 2015's, the diesel option went up in price during the model year, so an earlier 2015 will be cheaper.

As has been mentioned above, any issues with the 2014 models will eventually be taken care of with recalls and warranty. You have to decide if the discount is worth that much to you.

A quick search just a minute ago revealed a low roof 1500 diesel with 6500 mies for $25K in MO and a well equipped high roof 136WB diesel in NC discounted over $9000 selling for $28,739.

There are deals out there, and sometimes a $300 plane ticket and days drive can save you thousands.

·
Registered
100 Posts
>:DOr ride your motorcycle there, load it and drive the van back!
Good point! All models have the cargo D rings built into the floor. Rest the front tire at the front edge of the cargo bed and tie it down! Or be really picky and safe and bring a wheelchock with you!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts