Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scenario:

You're driving down the road. A fuse blows and one of the circuits stops working. The manual says the fuse you need to replace is in the under-the-hood fuse panel. You open the hood, prepared to replace the fuse...... PROBLEM!

The fuse cover is bolted down, with two nuts facing up at you. So now you need to find a special socket for tight-to-fit spaces, remove the nuts (which you know you're gonna drop when you go to replace them,) and then change your fuse.

AM I MISSING SOMETHING? Shouldn't this be just a little bit easier?... like a click-open latch like on every other car I own?

Ed

ps. I did find the "jump start" access point for the battery at one corner of the fuse cover! Nice!

·
Registered
68 Posts
You're not missing anything except the release tabs that are to be pressed to get the cover off. The manual refers to the tabs and even has a pictureIn other words, Dodge changed the design to the nuts. Mine has the nuts also.

Glad you found the positive terminal for a jump start. In case you don't know it, there is also a negative post.It is located on the core support close to the front of the vehicle where the hood support attaches to the core support in front of the fuse box.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It took 2 weeks to get an answer from Ram Customer Support. Their response:

"We do not have the technical information to help explain how to open the cover to change a fuse in your Promaster. Our guys in the tech department said you should look for a deep socket bolt extractor, and try not to drop the part when you loosen it"

"Try your dealer, maybe they can figure it out"

Trying to figure out how to kick this up the ladder..unacceptable!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Unacceptable?? Yes I guess... I'll call it absolutely stupid, bordering on moronic, for a company of any sort to give such a useless answer. Is this really the best Fiat/Chrysler/Ram can do for it's customers.

·
Registered
129 Posts
First, I love my Promaster - really.

But even the dealer acts like I bought a Peugeot or something. Parts - no. Do you have this in stock - no. Can I get a spare key? No. (Thirty days+ wait)

Some innovation person will come up with an aftermarket solution for the fuse box. Thanks for the heads up on that, I'll carry the proper wrench in the glove box. Any other fuse boxes? Under the dash, etc?

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No wrench needed just release the plastic tabs!
First, I love my Promaster too- really.

KOV,

That's the issue! Sometime between when they made yours and when they made mine (EE1262XX) , they left off the (easy to use) tabs and put two (hard to reach, easy to drop) nuts facing up to secure the fuse cover.

No one knows about the change or how to deal with releasing the nuts (and if the related bolts will fall out,) to get to the fuses -(engine compartment fuse box)

So if you blow the optional rear 12V lighter jack, there's no way to change the fuse. They actually suggested I go to the dealer when I need to change a fuse!

I went to the Mopar parts store and they show the "nuts version" only. I was hoping to buy a tabbed cover to replace the nutted one.

Ed

ps. I'll show you mine, if you show me yours! (picture of cover, that is)

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Does your fuse cover look like this?

The nut at the top is a bit awkward to access. Haven't tried it yet.

Ed
Hi proeddie.

Mine looks like yours. I'll try to open it tomorrow, I want to know if the fuse for the AC is ok (if it is located there, anyone knows?)

·
Super Moderator
9,051 Posts
oh, oh, my boo boo

Ops, brain fart time! you're absolutely correct, no tabs, two 8mm nuts. Just keep an 8mm nut driver (magnetic preferably). It took me about 30 seconds to remove them both and take the cover off. Glad I did as I discovered the fuses are mini blade type, not the larger ones I have hundreds of. Time to pick up a few spares I think!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts