Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Under the Media option for UConnect I see the option to Browse by Playlists, but I have no idea how to set up a playlist. Does anyone know how to setup playlists for UConnect to recognize?

I bought a 128GB USB stick and formatted it so that my Promaster would recognize it. I plugged it into the USB port next to the AUX port near the ignition. It took quite awhile for the UConnect system to scan the entire thing (88GB worth of music) but it did it. I was worried that I would have to go through this every time I turned the van off but it somehow caches the contents into the UConnect "memory" (?)

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
10,179 Posts
I'm only guessing but probably just separate folders? Not a great method for sure that's why I usually use my iPhone via BT if I want playlists.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have about 4GB of mp3s on my jump drive. Playing them all is easy, but a pain to find a certain song. I do miss my Ford Focus where I could just say "play track - play that funky music white boy", or "play genre - gospel" or "play artist - rick astley". In the PM, I have to tap tap tap tap on the screen to get to the menu where I can find the song or play all of a certain genre. This requires that the mp3 properties be properly labeled. Too much attention is required to do this so doing it while driving is not good.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Playlists usually have the file extension of .M3U . If the uConnect conforms to common standards then that would work. Lets say you have songs called Song 1.mp3, Song2.mp3, Song3.mp3 . If you have a Playlist for those songs in a certain order, the file MyPlaylist.M3U would be a standard text file that when opened looks like this:

Song1.mp3
Song2.mp3
Song3.mp3

If you have some sort of music library (iTunes, Keis, etc.) then there should be a way to export the actual play list. Copy that exported file to the same USB drive as the music, and then your system should recognize the .M3U extension and show it as a playlist.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I can confirm this works. I created a .m3u file using nothing more than Notepad and called it Top Hits - 1980.m3u. I placed it into the top of the folder structure on the USB. Since I organize my music folders by Artist and then Album my sample list looks like this:

Queen\The Game\05 - Queen - Crazy Little Thing Called Love.mp3
Pink Floyd\The Wall\05 - Pink Floyd - Another Brick In The Wall (Part II).mp3
Original Soundtrack\American Gigolo [Original Soundtrack]\Blondie - Call Me (Theme From American Gigolo).mp3
Lipps Inc\Funkytown\01 - Lipps Inc - Funkytown.mp3

That's it. "Playlists" in UConnect easily finds the .m3u file and locates each song. I didn't have to provide headers or anything else. Also, despite the fact that some Promaster documentation for UConnect says it doesn't play WAV files this is not true. I can mix .mp3 and .wav files and they all play.

Now if I could only figure out how to shuffle them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts