Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a favorite method of roughly leveling the van on an uneven campsite? 2x10s, lego blocks, ramps, jacks -- what's best?

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Oh yea, and they have 600 watts of solar and $3,000 of battery and ....... Why do people want to throw money away and why don’t they just give it to the local library! Extravagant and ultimate are not the same words.

I have 3- 2X 10s with strapping nailed to each end to keep them from splitting. I used to have a set of those plastic blocks but I really hate set up time so I chucked them (all but one yellow one I overlooked).

Here is the strapping, find it in the plumbing section and use roofing nails. They have been the ultimate for the use and if you leave one by mistake, who cares, if you break one, another is handy. I often leave them if I plan to return to the same spot, no one takes them if you also leave your crappy camp chair too. Of course I built for 50 years so I have scraps!
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Sioux-Chief-524-1022PK2-10-Feet-22-Gauge/dp/B00745VXN2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503078141&sr=8-1&keywords=plumbing+strap[/ame]

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Lego blocks seem like the lightest and most versatile solution. Although, I wonder how well they stand up to super rough/rocky ground. 2x lumber is cheaper, but it's also heavier and slipperier. And at current lumber prices, it may not be a whole lot cheaper.

Curved ramps failed the test on Promasters.

Also, the TRUMA app (free) includes a cool leveling app that tells you exactly how much lift you need at each wheel. You'll need to input your PM's wheelbase and track width (71 inches).

EDIT: Manual jacks are at the bottom of our list. Messy, heavy, and expensive. Automatic jacks are too expensive to even be on our list. James admits he loves tinkering and fancy gizmos. To each his own.

·
Super Moderator
10,170 Posts
You know I have never felt it was worth the bother to carry them around with me and if I did I can only think of very instances when I would actually get out and use them. I did bring a few with me on my last trip West because RD suggested it and I not only never had any reason to use them I threw in the trash when I got back home. Life is too short to worry abound being "on the level" ;)

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
So for most of that camping you were out of plumb? No wonder I didn’t gat any thanks for reminding you to bring them. Not even at Chisos Basin Campground? I used mine there.

·
Super Moderator
10,170 Posts
Guess I was just "on the level" the whole time, but thanks for the suggestion. We like to travel "light" other than food & drink. ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
If I am boon docking and happen to be in an area that isn't too rocky I will dig a shallow trench to drop a tire into. I always have my trusty camp shovel with me and by "digging down" instead of "stacking up" I can make the van closer to the ground meaning a shorter "step up" into the van.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
1,995 Posts
Hi,
In 42,000 miles, have never leveled our PM. If the camp spot has a slope, we just park so our heads will be uphill when we sleep. If we really want the van pointed the other way, we just flip the sleeping bags around so head is uphill.

I used to carry a couple of 4X4 blocks saw cut into a ramp, but I don't even bother to bring them anymore.

Just don't see why people bother?

Gary

·
Registered
2014 3500ext Gas - VA
250 Posts
I carry legos but have yet to use them... so far, I've gotten "good enough" by simply repositioning Vancave on the site.

Additionally, I installed stabilizing jacks on the rear framing but havenever used them.... springs are stiff enough that I won't ever need them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Gotta remember that the FitRV have most of the things on their RV sponsored so no cost out of pocket to them. The cost of those jacks is criminally insane. And they only got to within a inch level? Huh? That much money it should be spot on.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Gotta remember that the FitRV have most of the things on their RV sponsored so no cost out of pocket to them. The cost of those jacks is criminally insane. And they only got to within a inch level? Huh? That much money it should be spot on.
I've stepped in my van 1000 times since I've bought it and never been bothered by it being unlevel. That guy is over the top.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
413 Posts
Curved ramps failed the test on Promasters.

If you watch/listen to that video, they didn't fail the test so much as he's too pernickety (read: anal) to like them.

Which is his prerogative.

We boondock almost every weekend, and we use those same curved ramps. They work fine, will last forever, are pretty cheap, and fit snugly under the driver's seat so there's no need to go digging for them when you roll into camp late at night.

·
Super Moderator
10,170 Posts
I’ve had those on my van for almost 5 years and I can tell you they are a total waste of money! Perhaps the worst investment I’ve ever made. Yes, they will lift the van up a few inches but the ride is NO better at all, the air lines constantly leak in cold weather and have to be be pumped up daily. They are a great idea that doesn’t work. You will not get a better ride, you will be able to raise and lower the rear end and unless if you have dual controller for the system you will not be able to level the rear end.

Believe me, I’ve fought with these exact same air bags constantly with nothing but aggravation to show for it as RD will confirm.

·
Registered
243 Posts
We boondock almost every weekend, and we use those same curved ramps. They work fine, will last forever, are pretty cheap, and fit snugly under the driver's seat so there's no need to go digging for them when you roll into camp late at night.
Do you use them for side to side or front to back levelling? We have only used them once, but on the front wheels and they were tricky to get adjusted due to wheel spin on the smooth plastic. (We have been lucky since then to boondock or camp on sufficiently level ground that they weren’t needed.)

·
Banned
413 Posts
Do you use them for side to side or front to back levelling? We have only used them once, but on the front wheels and they were tricky to get adjusted due to wheel spin on the smooth plastic. (We have been lucky since then to boondock or camp on sufficiently level ground that they weren’t needed.)

Both.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts